a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Finally looking at arrow selection

Finally looking at arrow selection

After a couple of months using arrows selected by the shop for shooting my first bow I'm looking for some ideas from ATers. I shoot the PSE 2014 Surpa Max with 25.5" DL at 50# and have been using tabs and glove for shooting. I'm happy when the arrow hits paper, and I'll only be shooting paper or 3D, but I've had some success shooting the GP expeditions 500 with 100 tips cut to 26", but maybe there's something different I could be using? If you have any thoughts and time to post, thanks.

2012 Bear Arnachy, 2014 PSE Supra Max, 2014 Fever (wife), 2014 Phenom SD (wife), S/F recurve 25"Forged/Axiom limbs, Hoyt Excel recurve 23"/S/F 30# limbs (wife), Brooks 66"custom Longbow 42#

I have the software TAP Pro. It is not expensive, and is a download. I find it pretty accurate for my set ups. It shows you are a tiny bit on the stiff side, but I did not enter all the details such as fletch weight, insert weight, etc. So essentially, it looks like you are right on the money with the Gold Tip 3555 (500 deflection).

I would shoot a bare shaft, and start at about 10 steps. What I have found is that any time I cannot get my nock high (vertical tear) out by tweaking the nock set height, it is almost always due to a poor shaft match.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Thanks, Mitchell; cool chart! Haven't done bare shaft, but have done paper tune and found a slight high right tear. When I started it was four inch right tear. You mentioned vanes. Sorry. I've been experimenting with 2" Blazer and 3" inch low profile with the same success. Funny, I've number four of each when I go to range, and both sets are in the ball park. Smile. My gut tells me to go with the 3", but it looks like I've been shooting what my set up calls for. Thank you.
    2012 Bear Arnachy, 2014 PSE Supra Max, 2014 Fever (wife), 2014 Phenom SD (wife), S/F recurve 25"Forged/Axiom limbs, Hoyt Excel recurve 23"/S/F 30# limbs (wife), Brooks 66"custom Longbow 42#

If you are looking for new arrows, check out Deer Crossing Archery.
    They have about the best prices going. You can get ready to shoot arrows or just the shafts so you can build your own.
    PM me for a 10% discount code if you want to give them a try.
    Don.
    I shoot for...
    Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-LD Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV, Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by T2SHOOTER View Post
    Thanks, Mitchell; cool chart! Haven't done bare shaft, but have done paper tune and found a slight high right tear. When I started it was four inch right tear. You mentioned vanes. Sorry. I've been experimenting with 2" Blazer and 3" inch low profile with the same success. Funny, I've number four of each when I go to range, and both sets are in the ball park. Smile. My gut tells me to go with the 3", but it looks like I've been shooting what my set up calls for. Thank you.
    I would absolutely suggest you do some bare shaft testing. My experience has been that paper-tuning was wildly inaccurate in comparison and in some cases caused me to setup the bow completely wrong. I would get a great tear and then when I got to the range I would have this hideous arrow flight. After bare shaft tuning I would get great flight but ugly tear. I prefer the great arrow flight.
    NWSpinner,com
    Become a string maker but don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

The last two outings have been awesome with one observation, yet not a bad one, but that should change after new rest--Timberdoodle II. The Xs are there where they have never been all the way up to fifty yards. I can go around the range with confidence--smile. The observation is that I see, when looking, a twisting of the vanes through the air to target. I don't notice it all the time, but I'm not looking all the time. Trying to hold until paper slap. I will give the bare shaft a chance soon. Next week I should have the rest, and I plan on changing to 60# limbs and adding a few twist to string to lower DL a bit. It's just fun to play. I always have the Anarchy that I shoot release with. It's a dynamite bow, but I really do prefer fingers. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how the bare shaft shooting works.

I dont know why but when using fingers i always get better flight with 125 g. Heads. Just me.

I think generally heavier FOC are a little less touchy. May be just me though
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.