Thread: Teaching new archers

Teaching new archers

I am going to be introducing some ladies to archery this summer. What was a major thing that helped you as a shooter and stuck with you?

Last edited by shel74; May 29th, 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Autocorrect is ducking grape
    Love my Martin Alien!

Well I am actually new to archery myself. For me what has helped the most is having someone get my bow set up right for me from the start. The guy helped me choose the right bow, and took the time to really help me get started off the correct way. Set me up close to the target and took it step by step.

It's intimidating to try to learn a new skill. Having the right equipment...and a patient, supportive instructor really helps. They will see how easy it is for you to shoot and you need to remind them that it took a lot of time/practice for you to get that good.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkGirl View Post
    Well I am actually new to archery myself. For me what has helped the most is having someone get my bow set up right for me from the start. The guy helped me choose the right bow, and took the time to really help me get started off the correct way. Set me up close to the target and took it step by step.

It's intimidating to try to learn a new skill. Having the right equipment...and a patient, supportive instructor really helps. They will see how easy it is for you to shoot and you need to remind them that it took a lot of time/practice for you to get that good.
    Thanks! I'm hoping to get them started on a life long passion. As far as equipment I might start with traditional just start on the basics and to eliminate all the specifics that compounds bring.
    Love my Martin Alien!

Passion is very important
    1-Piece&Takedown Recurve Bow, Horsebow
    Fiberglass/Wooden/Carbon arrows,
    Lighted Nocks, Find on

www.archerysupplier.com/shop

Teach them right from the start. Don't let them shoot like they've seen in the movies. Stress safety and proper form and why they must do it that way.
    Look for the good in a bad shot and be encouraging. Like a low shot, say "well your left and right was good."
    The Original Bling Sling. www.hnsarchery.com
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery

xforce girl is right, always try to find something positive in each shot to keep them encouraged. When we teach kids using barebow genisis's we start with them just trying to hit the target with every shot, then once they do that we gradually focus them to hit a certain spot. Shooting balloons is a fun way to keep them engaged. Don't over complicate things with beginners. Teach the basics on form and technique and then get them shooting.
    Bowtech Invasion

Genesis 27:3
    "Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

Are you a certified archery instructor, or just an archer who wants to help others get started.

If you haven't already taken a Basic Archery Instructor course, it's a great way to get started.

You can get the BAI Refresher DVD from NASP here: http://naspschools.org/store/?cat=5

Like one of the posters above said, SAFETY first.

And breaking down the shot process into the "Eleven Steps to Archery Success" helps a new archer learn the correct form and execution.

Thanks! I want to get certified but don't know if I'll have time before hunting season, when I disappear ha.
    Love my Martin Alien!

Just keep it fun. Encourage them. I can't stress that enough. Teach them to be safe and let them know they don't have to be great starting out. We've had lots of luck using genesis bows with young and new archers. They are basically idiot proof and easy to use.
    Praesto et Persto

The biggest thing for me was a shooting sequence. I did the same things, in the same order for every single shot.

Set my feet, nock my arrow, draw the bow, make sure my hips aren't cocked, turn my bow arm out, straighten my back, square my shoulders, find all my anchor points. find the target, breathe, put my finger on the trigger, take another breathe and then release,, something like that.

When I'm having a bad day at the range, I go back to it. Not only does it keep my form correct, but it helps settle my mind as well. Those random thoughts that pop up always throw me off.

Keep it simple and work on one aspect of technique at a time. New archers will make loads of mistakes. If you try to address them all at once, it becomes confusing and frustrating.

As a new archer (bought my first bow June 20th, 2014), I would say make sure they know which eye is dominant. The first time I went to the store, they gave me a right-handed bow to try out. I tried it and liked it but went home and did my research on the bow, etc. When I went back for a second try, the guy asked which eye was dominant (my left eye is) and then handed me a left-handed bow. It felt so much better.

When I bought my bow, it came with a sight. After my first trip to the range, I took the sight off because I was so busy focusing on trying to use the sight that I hardly managed to hit the target. I left the sight off until yesterday so that I could focus on my form and for the most part, my arrows all hit about the same area.

I have a few friends that are interested in giving archery a try and I am trying to get a women only class set up sometime this summer. Good luck with your class!

Someone told me about this and our family turned it into a game "Make it Bounce".... shoot at tennis balls with Swickey Judo heads. When you hit the ball dead on it actually bounces forward and the arrow backward. We shoot at 15, 18, 20, 23, 25 yards. We moved to this game after we were zoned in on the targets pretty good. This is a great game to try with low poundage shooters. My husband cannot play because he shoots 60lbs. and punctures the ball. I shoot at 40lbs. and I'm fine. You will have to resight the bow for Judo heads like you would when you are getting ready to shoot broadheads. I really don't shoot at anything else anymore because this is so much fun.
    "Grace wouldn't be grace if you could earn it. I'm saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ."