a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for carrying while running?

Holster for carrying while running?

I'd like to carry my G19 when running trails, and I'm looking for recommendations on a good way to do this. I'm looking at the runners kit sack by Hill People Gear, but would appreciate input from others.

I carry my pistol in a fanny pack wrapped in a rag when I trail run. It needs to fit tight or it will bounce. I realize that i will not be getting my gun out as fast as i like but havent found better option.

Quote Originally Posted by ofashea View Post
    I carry my pistol in a fanny pack wrapped in a rag when I trail run. It needs to fit tight or it will bounce. I realize that i will not be getting my gun out as fast as i like but havent found better option.
    Duck tape it to the back of your neck, so when you put your hands up, you are actually reaching for your gun.
    Worked in a movie I saw once.
    An educated idiot is still an idiot. Teach your children to learn and evolve, not repeat and revolve.

I have a 511 Tac compression shirt meant for conceal carry that works. It may not work for things like running and other cardio that involves a lot of movement because of the weight of the gun and ammo but ti works pretty well for the rest of the workout. I have used mine for my full size XDm in 40 (16+1) and with my Tauros 809c in 9 of course (13+1) and it worked. It just sagged on one side of my body since I didn't try to counter balance with extra magazines. You could also look at just a standard shoulder holster or something like a drop leg.
    If you're really wanting a bag, you can look at something like this crossfire bag from Tactical Tailor.
    http://www.tacticaltailor.com/crossf...dcarrybag.aspx
    They're great and have plenty of space.

My opinions are coming from an open carrier. Pretty much everything I suggested would be a dead giveaway that you're carrying so if you're one of those super strict "concealed only" carriers, this may not have helped.

What kind of trails are you guys running?!?!

Hey, I was looking at this earlier too. G19 isn't ideal IMO for running while carrying, I have a G26 and even that seems a bit bulky and heavy. In comparing similar guns Springfield XDS and S&W Shield, the XDS came in at heavier but slimmer than G26 and S&W shield was slimmer and lighter by 25% or 5 oz than the G26 or XDS. I didnt think of the G42 as it was a .380 round.

Anyways for concealed carry while running, I bought a N82 tactical holster after countless hours of research. I found that small of the back is really the only place to hide a gun in shorts and tshirt, or a bra but I hate wearing a bra. N82 tactical has a neoprene pad backed by leather and other things so that the gun won't rub. They recommend the original holster for running, apparently marathoners use this too, though they use smaller guns than a glock. I'd like to tell you how it worked out for me, but unfortunately im still waiting on my CCW license. Give me about 2 weeks and I can give you a full review, but it doesn't seem half bad in comparison to the other holsters. They also have a military discount.

Oh, I got it to fend off dogs. I wonder how many people get guns to fend off dogs.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll definitely look into them.

I am not necessarily looking for concealment. I only plan to use it when running trails in the mountains. I ran up on a momma bear and cub a couple of weeks ago and realized I was completely unprepared for that had something gone wrong. I never dreamed that they wouldn't hear me and move on long before I got there.

No momma bears in Kansas to deal with, but lots of dogs. I carry a knife on a lot of my runs. Most dogs stand down if you come at them but every once in a while one gives ya trouble and gets too close for comfort. Not sure I would try the knife route with a bear!

I'm wondering, how well does 9mm work on mama bear ?
    (black bear, I assume? because many people think it won't work well with a grizzly).

And what would be the best bullets for bears?

If you don't care about concealment, how about a OWB level 2 retention holster.

Personally, I'd recommend not running in areas where you think you may need a gun

Buy a ringing bell if your are worried about bears while running. A gun is too little too late if you come up on mama in close quarters.

You can also look at remora. They are great iwb holsters that can be worn in anything from pajama bottoms to jeans.

Well.........I wish I could help but I live in Hellinois and have been waiting on my ccl permit since January so I have no experience!

I'd conceal simply not to scare others. Also you may not have open carry in your state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    What kind of trails are you guys running?!?!
    Whether in the mountains or city, something that makes you feel you need your gun won't wait for you to go to your car. There are dangers out there that you sometimes can't avoid and everyone deserves to protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by md7 View Post
    I'm wondering, how well does 9mm work on mama bear ?
    (black bear, I assume? because many people think it won't work well with a grizzly).

And what would be the best bullets for bears?

If you don't care about concealment, how about a OWB level 2 retention holster.

Personally, I'd recommend not running in areas where you think you may need a gun
    Black bears are smaller and most common handgun calibers can take one down. 9mm will actually take down a grizzly, you just have to not the right area with a lot rounds. I carry a .40 or 9 for going out into mountain lion, bear and mugger territory.

Also, there's nowhere that is immune to danger. You either go in unarmed or armed. It's up to you to decide but you shouldn't have to avoid a place because it may be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoofly09 View Post
    Buy a ringing bell if your are worried about bears while running. A gun is too little too late if you come up on mama in close quarters.
    A bell is a great idea but saying that you won't be able to use your firearm if the bell doesn't work and the bear is on you is just ridiculous. It may be difficult to draw but I'd like the opportunity to save myself if a bear or mountain lion jumps me than go out unarmed and just be lunch if my scary bell doesn't work. I'm not one for just lying down and accepting it, I'm going to fight it until either I am or it is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopayne View Post
    I'd conceal simply not to scare others. Also you may not have open carry in your state.
    It's always important to know the local laws. Just remember that laws are written as what's not allowed. OC is allowed if it's omitted from the laws as it's not expressly against the law. Also, other people's misinformed fear shouldn't dictate how you protect yourself. They probably won't even notice it unless you at weird or are going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoofly09 View Post
    How can you tell if the poop you find in the woods is Bear poop?.........it has little bells in it!!!!!

CG
    ..............it's that you shoot!

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed
    by your inferiors."

Quote Originally Posted by xxxJakkxxx View Post

It's always important to know the local laws. Just remember that laws are written as what's not allowed. OC is allowed if it's omitted from the laws as it's not expressly against the law. Also, other people's misinformed fear shouldn't dictate how you protect yourself. They probably won't even notice it unless you at weird or are going for it.
    Not quite sure on the legitimacy of your statement as im almost certain there is nothing omitted in gun laws nowadays, if it's omitted in the federal or state law, im sure it's expressed in local county laws or it's a city ordinance. But im also speculating. People's misinformed fears should dictate how you protect yourself, you don't want to give gunowners a bad name and turn the tide against us because soon it will be against the law to carry the gun if we don't take other people's feelings into consideration. It is not a good idea to solicit businesses with AR-15 strapped to you as it presents a bad image and does nothing for gun laws except make us look stupid and turn those on the fence against us.

Also, there's nowhere that is immune to danger. You either go in unarmed or armed. It's up to you to decide but you shouldn't have to avoid a place because it may be dangerous.
    I agree that it isn't a bad idea to go armed everywhere (better to be more prepared than unprepared) as unexpected situations do come up.

But I don't agree about knowingly going into a dangerous situation when you don't have to go. I'd never want to run/jog where I feel a need to carry a gun; I might carry a gun while recreational running, but it'll be at a safe place where I can't imagine ever needing gun. It seems silly to put oneself in danger on purpose when there's no need.

Not quite sure on the legitimacy of your statement as im almost certain there is nothing omitted in gun laws nowadays, if it's omitted in the federal or state law, im sure it's expressed in local county laws or it's a city ordinance. But im also speculating. People's misinformed fears should dictate how you protect yourself, you don't want to give gunowners a bad name and turn the tide against us because soon it will be against the law to carry the gun if we don't take other people's feelings into consideration. It is not a good idea to solicit businesses with AR-15 strapped to you as it presents a bad image and does nothing for gun laws except make us look stupid and turn those on the fence against us.
    In reminds me of a joke:
    1. In the USA, you aren't allowed to do things that's forbidden by law
    2. In Singapore, you aren't allowed to do things that's not explicitly allowed by law
    3. In <insert_a_country>, you aren't allowed to do things no matter what the law says

Lots of things are omitted and, because of that, allowed by law.
    E.g. Motorcycle lane splitting in CA, TX open carry of long guns (e.g. gun racks on trucks).

Quote Originally Posted by wacker stacker View Post
    Well.........I wish I could help but I live in Hellinois and have been waiting on my ccl permit since January so I have no experience!
    Personally, I'm for unrestricted handgun ownership and carry -- literal 2A -- because I believe
    everybody has a right to self defense. A handgun is a defensive weapon and an equalizer for
    physically weak/handicap people.

There's this understanding (or is it a saying) that it is better to be judged by 9 than carried by 3?
    (Numbers may be wrong to prevent web searches.) But you get the idea.

In the US, the laws do not allow you to do things, they restrict you form doing things. When something is not restricted, it is allowed. In WA state there's no specific law preventing Open Carry so we can Open Carry.

As for your views of open carry, well, I guess we'll have to disagree. I believe in all forms of carry, not just concealed. Also, a right exercised is a right lost. If I can but don't open carry, it's almost like I can't, isn't it?

In the US, the laws do not allow you to do things, they restrict you form doing things. When something is not restricted, it is allowed. In WA state there's no specific law preventing Open Carry so we can Open Carry.

As for your views of open carry, well, I guess we'll have to disagree. I believe in all forms of carry, not just concealed. Also, a right exercised is a right lost. If I can but don't open carry, it's almost like I can't, isn't it?
    I don't think you got the point I was trying to make. I was stating that most likely there isn't anything omitted about guns in your area. I don't know what area you live but I would think there would have been some pro or anti gun people who would have made sure that something was put into laws stating explicitly what you can and can't do with guns.

just because you can buy a nice car and you dont, doesn't mean you should because it's like you cant. Go ahead and scare the general public, you're part of the problem, and no better than peta. let's shove it to the American people's face because we can and they shouldn't be squeamish about it. Yea smart.

Just looked up your state, yup no law forbidding it as it follows the old British law system. But it most likely also has to do with your state preemption law. Glad the nw is still good to go.

I don't think you got the point I was trying to make. I was stating that most likely there isn't anything omitted about guns in your area. I don't know what area you live but I would think there would have been some pro or anti gun people who would have made sure that something was put into laws stating explicitly what you can and can't do with guns.

just because you can buy a nice car and you dont, doesn't mean you should because it's like you cant. Go ahead and scare the general public, you're part of the problem, and no better than peta. let's shove it to the American people's face because we can and they shouldn't be squeamish about it. Yea smart.
    Yep, the northwest is pretty good. We got the preemption because they didn't want a patchwork of random laws every other city or county. They actually ruled that a properly holstered firearm is not enough to warrant alarm and isn't reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime so the officer can't even legally stop you for that reason alone.

Your car comparison doesn't work the way you're trying to use it. I'm stating that you shouldn't alter what you do because of someone's opinion on it. If those two scenarios were the same, I'd have not bought the nice car because I thought that it might offend someone that I did so.

Openly carrying your firearm is pretty helpful to the overall firearms community. It offers a proactive approach to crime prevention because criminals, not looking to commit murder, avoid areas with armed persons. It also normalizes firearms to the masses by showing that they can be worn for every day activities and not just seen when they're going to be used in crimes. They're not dirty or wrong and shouldn't be hidden as if they were.

Also, fun fact, I open carried nearly every day for a few years and I only had 1 negative interaction and it was with a person yelling at me because he was adamant that you should ONLY conceal carry. I had many positive comments and most people just didn't even notice.

...And since I've been on forums that were not firearm specific and seen what a firearms discussion can do to it, back to the topic.
    Firearms are pretty difficult to carry in a way that is easily accessible while working out. Open carry opens up a some possibilities but the weight of the firearm combined with the movement usually causes them to try to move around. If I were a runner and were going to carry, I'd just opt for a nice shoulder holster that keeps the firearm close to the body. Luckily running doesn't agree with me and I get shin splints so I hike and lift weights, not run.

I meant to preface my statement with know your audience. As in if you're in a place that is blatantly anti gun, it may not be the best idea to open carry as there will be some people there who are on the fence. And here im going to backtrack on my statement again, but its also open carrying without being ridiculous. Like the stupidchipotle kids or the girls who went around alinging ar 15s to public businesses. Absolutley no need for that and it most likely turned people against gun ownership and made gun owners look stupid and ridiculous.
    Now if people are accepting and welcoming then why not? I'm from Oregon so I miss the northwest.

As for running, I hate anything on my back or my shoulders when I run. Obviously this presents big challenges running in shorts and t shirt. I opted for n82 tactical, haven't had the chance to test it as I am awaiting ccw.

As for running, I hate anything on my back or my shoulders when I run. Obviously this presents big challenges running in shorts and t shirt. I opted for n82 tactical, haven't had the chance to test it as I am awaiting ccw.
    Hopefully it works out for you. Something that might help a bit that I have done is wearing compression shorts under your workout shorts. It may add a bit of support to help manage the weight of the firearm. Also, the wait for the CPL (CCW) is terrible. I'm pretty glad that WA puts a 30 day limit on how long the LEO can take before issuing them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast