Thread: Tri Star wheels vs other options

Tri Star wheels vs other options

I have been shooting a binary cam until now, and like it. It works well for me in the woods at our hunting distances. But I have had this itch to try a longer ATA, more deflexed riser bow, and see if I can improve my distance shooting. I now have a loaner 2005 Protec with Cam & half which I am enjoying shooting. I am in the process of putting together the needed components to assemble one of my own.

All that said, at some point, I do want to try acu wheels, or tristar wheels. However I know nothing about them. I do like a wall, so I think I would want to add the wallbangers.

All that to ask, can some of you educate me on the tristar (Barnsdale I believe) vs acu wheels? How do they compare? Is there any other similar option?

I am happy with the shooting aspects of the cam & half. However, I am hunting off of the ground, and need to be able to draw a bow extremely slowly; as in creep it back. So I am speculating the round wheel might work better for that, and might possibly be even better than my binary. Once I complete my Protec project, I may try another with a round wheel, ergo the questions.

Thanks for the education.
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Mitchell,
    I have had a couple of bows with Accuwheels, protect and Vantage LTD. I also had a Classic X (Barnsdale) with the Tristar wheels. I did not like the accuwheels, they had a sloppy wall and it was very easy to overdraw (pull to hard) or under draw and shoot out the top. They would probably work well with a clicker though, or for someone who is used to "shooting out of the valley". The Tristars in my opinion had a more solid wall feel to them. I think if you put "wallbangers" on either set of these wheels you will be impressed. Take this with a grain of salt, as I am a dyed in the wool love to shoot hard against the wall guy. I am currently shooting Spiral X cams on my new target bow and love them, you MUST hold it against the wall... MUST. There is no creeping forward allowed.... LOL
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

Two completely different designs that have a feel that is not at all the same.

Accuwheel is a 2 track wheel, if memory serves, while the tristar wheel is a 3 track system having the string run right down the middle....perfect for shoot through system (zero cam lean).

If you were going to be target shooting only, I'd say go with the tristar but if you're primarily going to be hunting, it's doubtful you'll see any benefit.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

i prefer the accuwheel although i SUSPECT they are slower .

Hoyt made a "wheel and 1/2" for a short time and you can put a stop peg on it for a wall "feeling". It shoots very similar to accuwheels.

Great info. Thanks again.

Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.