Archery Talk Forum banner

Who's heading Moose hunting this fall with an X-Force?

5K views 112 replies 20 participants last post by  MN_walker 
#1 ·
We are heading up moose hunting this fall and i am just wondering who is as well and what x-force they will be taking with them?...I am going for the vacation,to get away with my father,do some fishing,grouse hunting and hopefully get a chance at a bull in the rut....But most of all to spend some time with my dad and have fun...Grizz

#3 · (Edited)
Nice,we should get drawn this year for a bull tag,if we don't,oh well we are still going to fish and to grouse hunt and scout a bit....How do you like your full throttle?I plan on picking up a Omen max or a Full throttle as my next bow.That could be 7-8 months,I'm in no rush to add to the collection right away...Where about are you heading?We are heading up for the 20th and stay until the 27th of September....We are heading up to the Hearst-Longlac area,just a bit west of Hearst....Grizz

#4 ·
Just got the throttle and I am still getting aquainted with it.It really wants to head to the target fast.There is no creeping with it.Our group heads up to the Red lake area which is about 22 hrs drive.We will be going up around the 23rd and staying at least 10 days.

#88 ·
This is why i got rid of my X Force HF. I could not get used to it. If it was a quick shot i was fine, but if i had to hold once i got fatigued it wanted to go it was going.

#5 ·
Sounds good,there's only 2 of us,maybe 3-4 going.All depends on tag situation.I have been to Red lake,i worked up in that area.So the throttle wants to go at all times,eh?I have been shooting my Omen and Vendetta a lot lately and maybe in my old age but i am having a hard time putting the vendetta down,i am shooting it and the omen the best out of all my bows at this time.Of course,i have been shooting those 2 the majority of my spare time,the last 5 weeks.I have another bow coming here shortly that i believe will be coming moose hunting as well.How many in your crew?...we like to keep ours small...Grizz

#6 ·
I am seriously getting the urge to start looking for a Black 60 lbs Omen Max with 28" cams,i love the omen,had 2 Omen pros and preferred the original Omen but,i kind of want to add the Omen max in black to the collection...I enjoy the Uf cam at 60-63 Lbs,one of my favorite cams built.The Omen will be my moose hunting rig i believe this fall,just starting to build some custom arrows for moose in the next few weeks,i will be building an arrow close to or a tad more then 500 gr,i believe i will be using Steel force phat-heads and my father will be using Grizz trick 2 broadheads.....Grizz

#7 ·
i picked up 2 dozen arrows,i plan on building them for moose hunting.I will be putting 100 gr brass inserts in the .300 spine and 50 gr inserts in the other dozen i picked up.I plan on putting 7" white wraps with white vanes on them.I will be shooting 100 gr Steel-force phat heads from one set up and 100 gr wasp bullets from the other setup i take with me,still undecided on the 2 bows...i picked up a new primos bow sling today to go along with my tenzing 1140 for the moose hunt.I have an older primos sling and my shorter ata bows would fit but i never felt comfortable.I put my x-force treestand Hf in it and wow,this is 3 times the sling the original is....very happy with that purchase,i was considering buying a whole new pack.Sure am glad i did not...Grizz

#8 ·
so this evening i went up baited up my bear baits and took my vendetta with me to fling a few arrows when i was finished.I have to say,that the more i shoot this setup,the more i love it and at this point I'm almost certain it will be making the trip up north for moose hunting this fall....i believe i will shoot the 100 gr steel-force phat heads out of this with a 500 gr ish arrow .300 spine.65 lbs,28" draw.I am feeling very confident and shooting better with this bow then any of the ones i own at this time,here it is in the new sling...the sling was worth the money...imo......Grizz

#10 ·
Nice,i hope you enjoy the new bow..We have it good,we now have an Elk draw for an area an hour or so away..,i can hunt bear,turkey,whitetail,grouse,ducks,geese etc on my own land and travel a bit for moose...i really have no reason to go out of province except i want to hunt antelope and mule deer....first is i hope to get a bull tag this year for moose...I cant imagine paying some of the prices people do to kill bears..but that's just because i can kill them 2 minute walk from my camp door...Grizz

#14 ·
x force Drive tuned by Breathn

#19 ·
i am debating on shooting the Bi-polar broad heads on the end of my 500 gr ish arrow.Soon as the brass inserts arrive in the next week or so,i am going to start seriously getting my 2 setups ready to take on the hunt...i am at this point stuck on which 2 rigs to take.I really like the lightweight of the Tree-stand Hf and that i am shooting it really well right now,i am going to get it set up with the 500 gr arrows tipped with the Bi-polar set at 70 lbs,28" draw and shoot it for a week or so... and as of right now the Vendetta XL/DC will be coming along for sure with arrows tipped with Wasp bullets and Steel-force Phat-heads.I have the confidence that any or/either of Bi-polar,Bullets and Phat-heads will get the job done if i do mine...Grizz

#20 ·
i received my supplies to build my arrows the other day.So far i built -(12) .300 spine 9.8 gpi with 100 gr brass inserts.(Victory Vforce)
-(6) .400 spine 7.7 gpi with 75 gpi brass inserts(Easton bloodlines)
-(6) .330 spine 8.7 gpi with 75 gpi brass inserts (Easton bloodlines)

I am still trying to determine with dozen i want to build with the 50 gr inserts i purchased as well.The only arrows i have shot have been the .400 Easton bloodlines out of my 28", 62 lbs Pse Revenge,it was fairly windy yesterday but i have them shooting great out to 30 yards.I am now leaning on talking the Revenge because of it's size and that i love to hunt with it.I have the 100 gr Steel force phat heads on the tip of those arrows and i have those arrows footed as well.Next up to try is the Axe 6 shooting the Victory Vforce arrows at 28",70 lbs tipped with 100 gr Slick tricks.

I am still waiting on some wraps to change on the Victory arrows...Grizz

#21 ·
I just went and fired 15 arrows with my Axe 6,the Victory vforce .300 tipped with the 100 gr brass inserts and a Slick trick mag.Hits like a mac truck,one little click right on my Hha and i was dead on at 15 yards.I can't shoot any further in my basement.I am heading up to camp later and plan on taking the Axe 6 and Revenge with me to get them dialed in out to 50 yards.:)..Grizz

#22 ·
i received my wraps(Thanks Mindy) and i re-wrapped 18 arrows today and here are 12 of them,these will be my moose hunting arrows.I will be shooting the Victory .300 arrows out of my Axe 6 and the Easton Bloodlines .330 out of the other bow that i choose to take with me,i will be shooting them with blue nocturnals in them,i took them out to work on them today...Grizz

#23 ·
here are the 6 Easton bloodline .400 that i will take with me if i choose to take my Revenge,i have not added the 50-75 gr brass inserts to these arrows yet...

#24 ·
these are the Easton Bloodline 400's that i originally footed to try,i then added 75 gr brass inserts to them and like them,that's why i have not added the brass inserts to the other 400's yet.I want to do some testing with both sets out of the Revenge before i do add the brass inserts to the pink fletched 400's...I will find out this weekend...Grizz

#28 ·
here is another 10 Cx Terminator hunter 45/60's i picked up to try..they are a heavy gpi and a solid weighted arrow without adding brass inserts..,i wrapped them today when i got home,these will be shot out of my Ss Gx....if i take that bow moose hunting,if not.These will be my bear hunting arrows come early September out of the Revenge or Ss Gx....Grizz

#31 ·
I wonder if the Mnr considers a Game plan Bowbat legal to carry a bow in before and after legal time?I used one for turkey hunting last spring,i like my cheap $40.00 soft case from Canadian tire as well too carry too and from stand...Grizz

#32 ·
Where are you headed? We booked our 2015 archery moose trip near Nipigon. It's a camp we fish out of every year. I doubt we'll see the quality or quantity like we did in BC, but I am still looking forward to it.

This post has been deleted
#39 ·
So i spent yesterday afternoon...early evening getting my X-force Axe 6 70 lbs dialed in.I have it sighted in out to 40 yards right now.I will finish getting it dialed in to 55-60 yards later this week.This will be my #1 moose hunting rig this fall,and most likely my #1 hunting rig all fall.I have also decided to take my Custom X-Force as a back-up to the Axe 6 as it will be as close to the Axe 6 as you can get ...:).I will be shooting an assortment of 100 gr Slick tricks on the tip of the .300 Victory arrows..Grizz

#40 ·
My arrow scale arrived yesterday.I weighed all my arrows i built

-Victory Vforce .300 w/100gr brass inserts/100 gr broad-head/nockturnal-514 gr
-Easton Bloodline .330 with 75 gr brass insert/100 gr broad-head/Easton nock-468 gr
-Easton Bloodline .400 with 75 gr brass insert-footed/100 gr broad-head/nockturnal-487 gr

I was close at guessing the completed weight.I wanted a scale and finally ordered one...Grizz

#41 ·
I'm hoping to get my bull draw up at my camp (northern Ontario), if not I'll spend some time scouting around the camp for next year and hope for a calf or bear within range if I'm lucky enough. I'll be shooting my XForce Vendetta XS set at a 28" draw and 60lbs. Currently shooting Carbon Express Mayhem 250s with 100gr Muzzys.

#42 ·
Nice,i hope we get a bull or cow tag but we are going anyway,calf's taste better anyway and i will just fish and grouse hunt a little more.I had a Vendetta Xs,sweet little bow...Good luck,hope you get drawn...Grizz

#43 ·
So i went ahead and ordered a Alps Pathfinder pack last week,it arrived Wednesday,i probably did not need it but really liked the one i purchased for my father and wanted a bigger pack for moose hunting.I had been toying with the idea of replacing my leafy suit with a new one for a year.I will keep my old one for just turkey hunting,i went and ordered a new asat 3-d suit today,i owned one in the past and should have kept it.I will be taking both items with me to use in September this year..Grizz

#45 ·
that's too bad,hopefully you draw next fall..,i hope we draw a bull or cow tag.We will have 2 calf tags at the least and plan on taking a calf if we need too.I like moose meat,i would prefer a bull or cow but i am not going to turn down the first legal moose i have in range...:)..Grizz

#46 ·
I shot my 3 different fixed heads at 30-40 yards today and will be staying with steel force and wasp boss and selling the tricks.I prefer both over slick tricks and i found both grouped a little better at 40 yards.These steel force phat heads are really impressive,the Wasp boss and the Steel force Phat heads are far and away my 2 favorite fixed heads I've shot or owned...Grizz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.