Thread: lump on deer ???

lump on deer ???

hey check out the sore on the side of this does upper neck....she still has her summer hair and it really makes the sore show up.........

whats your opinion on what the lump is????

my spelling may be incorrect but I would say just an absess. If it pops it will ooze stuff for a few days and heal. As long as it doesn't get infected.

Growth

Last year, I shot a doe that had a lump like that on her jaw. I shot a nice buck about 30 minutes after her, so I planned on mounting both of them together. While caping the doe, I found the lump. The whole thing was just a big mound of a grissle like mass. I figured it was from an old puncture from a cactus thorn or something like that, and then it took on the oyster effect. The body started a growth around the foreign object to mask the pain. I cut the growth all apart and didn't find anything in it.

Didn't seem to bother the meat. We ate it and no one got sick or died.

Kevin

Deer lump

That is really strange. I have never seen anything like that. Kinda looks like a tumor. I would probably shoot that deer and get it checked out.

hmmmm...

An old wound, or some type of tumor.
    60#/29" Bowtech Insanity
    395 gold tip @ 300fps
    TT smack down and Black Gold ascent
    www.dirtnapgear.com

I would say it's a old wound also probally when she was running threw the trees and cought a branch or some thing else. But then again its kinda far back for that. Not sure just guessing.
    https://www.facebook.com/extremebowstrings M4L Team Shooter, www.MartinArchery.com Professional String Maker for Extreme Bowstrings. Visit our website at www.extremebowstrings.com ph 402-750-9621 or e-mail us at ron@extremebowstrings.com A Martin/Rytera PRO Series Dealer, Distributor for Brownell and Bcy products.

That may be a Cutaneous Fibromas, caused by a viral infection in the skin.

The virus can be transmitted by insect bite or when uninfected animals contact contact an infected animal's skin and an open sore, etc. The virus is not transmittable to humans though.

Here is a pic of a deer with a similar lump. These fibromas can be isolated or can cover large portions of the deer's body . . .
    Last edited by Meleagris1; August 30th, 2007 at 08:59 AM.

I'd go with a fatty tumor, may potentially be a warble, though it would be one damn big warble if it is a warble. It may also be a Fibroma, either way it probably wouldn't harm the meat, since when you see a mass/tumor like that, it indicates it has been isolated to the skin and fat tissue. If you were to shoot that deer and find that the tumor/mass was involving the muscles, bones, cartilige, then it would seem to be more cancerous than infection related. As far as an abcess goes, that would be one huge abcess if it were an abcess, but I doubt it is an abcess.
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

I Think It Is An Earring, I Have A Picture Of One Wearing A Necklace.

I have a video clip of a 7 point that had them all over him.. The local deer processor said they're warts and are under the skin only and not in the meat. Also the meat would be totally edible and cause no ill effects. Think i'd have to pass on eating it.

View the clip here > http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=47

JP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Whitefeather; September 12th, 2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added picture

Quote Originally Posted by SEOBowhntr
    I'd go with a fatty tumor, may potentially be a warble, though it would be one damn big warble if it is a warble. It may also be a Fibroma, either way it probably wouldn't harm the meat, since when you see a mass/tumor like that, it indicates it has been isolated to the skin and fat tissue. If you were to shoot that deer and find that the tumor/mass was involving the muscles, bones, cartilige, then it would seem to be more cancerous than infection related. As far as an abcess goes, that would be one huge abcess if it were an abcess, but I doubt it is an abcess.
    Ive seen much larger abcess on horses, that was the only reason I guessed that. sometimes only occassionally we will cut them open at necropsy.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTaxi
    Didn't seem to bother the meat. We ate it and no one got sick or died.
    Now that just sounds funny to me for some reason. I can't put my finger on it but...