Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowtech failures

11K views 98 replies 71 participants last post by  LightSpeed 
#1 ·
I think all these threads claiming "another bowtech fail" and others of the like are a load of bull. Bowtech had problems in its past with limbs, theres no denying that. Bowtech has fixed these problems yet people still talk **** about Bowtechs. ONE guy has a little film peal on his RPM 360 and theres 9 pages of comments how the limb problems are back and they wont own a Bowtech after seeing this. One Bowtech splits a limb and its the same thing. I hate to break it to you but Bowtech is NOT the only one that has failures. Nowadays Hoyt, Matthews, Elite, and every other company has just as many failures as Bowtech. I know peop[le are gonna say "well its the volume of Bowtech failures that makes us not trust them." No, thats a load of bull too. The only reason there are more Bowtech failure threads is because nobody complains when a different brand blows up. If EVERY bow that had a failure in its limbs or anything else was posted about there would be just as many threads about other brands as there would be Bowtech. When was the last time you saw a thread saying my PSE blew up or my Hoyt blew up? Maybe once every few months? Thats certainly not because they dont fail thats because nobody feels the need to complain when they do. When Bowtech starts having consistent problems like they used to then you can complain but until then I wish everybody would stop. Either post EVERY failure from EVERY company or dont post ANY. I know several people who had the air shocks snap on their hoyts but you dont see a thread every week about that. Why doesnt everybody complain when those break?

This has been annoying me everytime i see a thread pop up about a bowtech failing. Does anybody else agree? When you put out as many bows as Bowtech or Hoyt you are going to have some with issues, itd be impossible not to.

Rant over

See less See more
#2 ·
I have only owned one bowtech, the extreme solo. I never had any problems with it and it was a good shooting bow. I can say that I dont ever plan to own another bowtech because of all the problems I hear about. I don't think people are picking on bowtech in any way and I do believe if the other bow manufacurers were having the same volume of incidents that it would be discussed here. Just my opinion

#9 ·
You missed the point of my post, bowtech doesnt have any more failures then any other company on the new models. Its just that people never complain about the others like they do bowtech

#3 ·
At least once a week there's a Bowtech Haters thread started. I get it, you don't want a Bowtech! Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has them and some just flat out stink! I have had three so far, the Assassin, the Insanity and now the RPM360. Never had a single problem with the bows at all and the customer service has been excellant for me. I know that's not always the case but find me one retailer that has a perfect record. Not out there!

#4 ·
I have owned xactly two Bowtechs. A 2011 Destroyer and an Invasion. The Destroyer is my primary hunting bow and the Invasion is the backup. Never had a problem of any kind with either.
I have had a PSE and Mathews break a limb. No big deal. Both replaced them and all is well.

#5 ·
Everything I read on Bowtech has not stopped me from buying one. So many good manufacturers now all you need to do is test drive them to find what you like. I figure it's a new bow, new year, maybe they have gotten it figured out. Every company has had some sort of issue, to think otherwise is absurd. Yes, Bowtech had a lot of issues with limbs, but they changed the way they are made now. All that is left in my opinion is to find a better string maker.

#7 ·
I've owned alot I mean alot of bowtech in the past 9 years, only ones that failed were my fault. (2 dry fires) but I will say Since 2010 the limb flaking is a huge negitive to me they Knew they had a problem and refused to fix it and only covered 3 limbs sets for me on the bows I had (4 d340, 1 d350, 3 cpxls) When you know you have a problem but don't want to put the money into fixing the problem after the first year that makes you a crappy company in my eyes. When you see older bowtech shooters on tv hunting and see limb flaking it looks bad for you.
Yes I own two bowtech still but I had to pay to get my limbs dip to stop the ugly flaking, the rpm 360 I have here shows no flaking tho. You spend over 1000 on a bow you don't expect the limbs to peel, and peel for 3 years on many different bows you sold.
bowtech should be getting some bashing in my eyes, and I'm a bowtech fan boy, but I will say its a duck when its a duck not its a swan when its a duck.

#16 ·
Who really needs a pretty bow... if your hunting with the bow who needs it to be pretty? its like having a pretty truck to take off roading or mudding. performance is what counts. But then again i am not buying a 1000 dollar bow like others do. i buy primarily used.

To their defense they have tried to stop the limb flaking issue with their new carbon core limbs. they brought them out for the insanity and experience and had some success with them holding up.

#8 ·
I like BowTech and think this thread is ridiculous. Numbers don't lie and if you don't want to read them don't click on them. Personally, I think Freedom of Speech is one of the things that makes the US great. You don't like that, well...

#10 ·
Youre right numbers dont lie, thats what im trying to say. The number of Bowtech failures isnt any higher then any other company but it appears like it is because people only complain to AT when it was a Bowtech

#11 ·
If multiple pro shops came forward and showed me statistical evidence that Bowtechs fail more than other brands, maybe something should be done. Until then, I'll enjoy my used Destroyer 350 that has no warranty and shoots fine, and the flaking limbs are not that bad and purely cosmetic IMO.

#15 ·
Unfortunately Bowtech is overcoming the "first impressions" they gave a lot of us. I've had 2 Bowtechs with limb failures, true story, and I've brought Bowtechs since but because of some of the earlier problems and more recent "simple" problems like limb flaking I'm still hesitant to trust them fully, but they make some good bows and if one fits me well then I'd still buy it.

#18 ·
People just remember the days of the 82nd and 101st airbornes... they had limb problems, the forums flooded with limb failure threads and thus the reputation began... lets not forget martins limb problems. how about PSE back in the Point Shoot Explode era they have moved passed it and now is a top brand. how many times can you draw back a bow before something lets go? some limbs have a longer life then others.

#19 ·
Do you have stock in Bowtech or something? Who cares if more people complain about the limb failures or any other issue they have. Shoot what you like to shoot and stop looking for others approval on the equipment you use. I don't get it. It's as if someone bad mouthed your mom with some guys when others dislike or have an issues with the brand they shoot. Grow up guys. AT is getting out of hand and downright ridiculous!

#21 ·
The only thing this thread proves is that Bowtech owners are much more sensitive about anything written about their bows than any other brand owners. And non-Bowtech owners can smell it like blood in the water.

Check out the Brand Specific boards and there are plenty of issues with other bows.

#24 ·
More or less yes i am sticking up for bowtech. My beloved bowtech not so much though. I just happen to be shooting a bowtech at the moment, im hoping to pick up a new bow in the next month or two and it most likely wont be a bowtech. Obviously Bowtech had limb problems in the past but with the new carbon core limbs thats not a problem. I just dont think its fair that whenever theres a slight problem with a bowtech people jump down bowtechs throat because of old problems

#33 ·
I've owned 3 bowtechs and never had anything break. I wasn't thrilled about the wear spots on the 2010 Destroyer limbs, but when I got the Experience, I put the Destroyer on Craigslist (bare bow), and it was snatched up the next day. They didn't care about wear spots. They didn't care if it had a nick on the shelf, caused by a release strap that broke when I drew it back. I probably could have got $50 more for it. EXCELLENT resale value in my part of the country.

However it took me over 6 weeks to sell the 2009 Katera with a 7 pin sight, rest, and quiver, for $100 less than the Destroyer. And it was in mint condition, from lack of shooting.

Oregon is definitely not Hoyt country. The previous bowtech I had was a Generation 3 - it sold right away also. I still have a 3D competition trophy taken with that bow.

The Experience is a better bow than the Destroyer IMO. I really like the Carbon Core limbs. But I'm not too impressed with the Octane string - and am replacing it.

#34 ·
My first bow was a bowtech and I loved it. But, I will say to the OP, where are you getting your 'numbers' to make such definitive statements regarding other companies limbs? Knowing what I know about products, sales, and failures/recalls (I sell Orthopedics), I would be surprised if you are going to get any numbers, especially considering outside of a recall they don't have to disclose that information and there's no one doing any peer reviewed studies about companies limb failures. Even a publicly traded company doesn't have to disclose that info in SEC docs or any other docs. Do you have a copy of their minutes from a meeting where this was discussed? Short of that, how do you know? Besides anecdotal evidence... If other campanies had more failures, then the smell test would indicate that they all would have issued recalls.

Bottom line, I find it hard to believe you have any concrete data to back up what you're saying. Bowtech's problems have been well documented, they have had multiple recalls. I almost bought a new bowtech a month ago. It didn't really bother me. But, to act as if the problem is non existent kind of reminds me of how.. well.. I'm not going to make any political analogies, but let's just say it's not a sound debate platform.. I don't see fighting haters with fanboyism a solid argument..

they are just jealous they all have some issues
If they don't all have enough issues to warrant recalls then this is an apples or oranges comment.

#36 ·
I don't get it. You think only haters post about Bowtech specifically, because they want to give the brand a bad name? And how does that affect you personally? If you think it is BS, sure fine, keep buying Bowtechs. You can point it out to others if you have evidence. But this thread just makes you look like a fanboiiii.

The thing is, I've not been around a lot of Bowtech, but I've heard complaints about them from the owners that otherwise love or at least like the product. I've seen Mathews defects, Hoyt defects, etc etc.

Now the thing is, Bowtech has in my perception, just as many breakage issues as Mathews and Hoyt. But the thing is, they are not nearly pushing as much volume. And they operate in the mid-range price high value kind of bows, as well as the top-tier speebow world. Those are riskier from an engineering point of view. Year after year they have been pushing higher speeds or more features than Mathews or Hoyt. I don't think that it is weird that Bowtech has more failures per 1000 bows sold. It is what I would expect.
So what are you saying? That we are no longer allowed to talk about this? Whose side are you on? I'm with the archers that want to exchange information.

#37 ·
Who cares if bowtech sucks as long as you like them that's all that matters...........don't let other people get you all worked up it could be worse you could own a Mathe...........:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.