Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 MD Success Thread

Went out Saturday and checked my stands on two properties, got my permission slips signed and did some scouting. Saw plenty of sign at both tracts. Have really upped my shooting. Got my broadheads dialed in with my field points, just have to resight my HHA due to heavier arrows.

Once August arrives I will start going through all my gear. Fresh batteries in camera, rangefinder, flashlights, etc, and treat outerwear with Permethrin. I'd like to get new wheels for my game cart. Those hard rubber tires hang up on every branch. Need to see if bicycle tires will fit the axles.
    Team 34- Rack Attack
    2011 PSE X-Force Dream Season Evo in black/camo; AAE DOA drop-away rest
    HHA OL-5019 sight; 1/4" Red Eye Peep; Spot-Hogg Saturday Night Special release
    27" Easton XX78 2314's with NAP Twisters and wraps; 125 grain Magnus Snuffers

Calvert county and carroll county for me. Am putting my cameras back out this week, had to deal with some trespassers at home. Been shooting since the weather warmed up, really am not changing anything from last year so it should just be checking to make sure broadheads hit where they are supposed to and I should be good to go.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, body thoroughly used up and worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
    My Setup: Hoyt Rampage XT,Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg It,QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD,Tight Spot Quiver,14oz B-Stinger Stabilizer,Easton FMJs 300's,Blazer Vanes,100 Grain Slick Trick Magnum

I live on Kent Island, but can't afford the Eastern Shore lease prices so I'll be trying my luck on public land. This will be my first year bowhunting so I'm hoping for the best!

I haven't arrived in Maryland yet, but will soon and hope to get some treestand time this fall. This may be a dumb question, but what is the snake situation like?

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhntr View Post
    I haven't arrived in Maryland yet, but will soon and hope to get some treestand time this fall. This may be a dumb question, but what is the snake situation like?
    My experience is that snakes will leave you alone unless you're looking for them. After September they're pretty sparse. If you do come across any snakes, only worry about copperheads or eastern diamondback rattlesnakes (if you're in western MD). Otherwise the only concern is mosquitoes and wasp nests in any trees you're climbing in September/early October.
    University of Maryland
    Go Terps

There are copperheads throughout the state, and timber rattlers (not diamondbacks) in the mountains of WMD. I am 53 and have been in the woods since I was a boy and have never seen either. There are numerous non-venomous snakes. They are harmless, although in Allegany County I came across a 6' black snake that was vibrating its tail in dry leaves so fast I thought it was a rattlesnake for sure! You will have some folks tell you there are cottonmouths in MD, but that has never been verified.

Just had a juvenile rat snake coiled up on my screen porch last week. Pretty little guy! Picked him up with garden gloves and let him go.
    Team 34- Rack Attack

bought a primos 46 camera and a tree mount for it the other day, replaced the bolts in my ladder stand and painted the entire thing (what a pain that was). hope to have it hung in another month, waiting on a brace bar. saw some bucks the other day and they had added some points and a little bit of mass.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Quote Originally Posted by BDHUNTR View Post
    Went out Saturday and checked my stands on two properties, got my permission slips signed and did some scouting. Saw plenty of sign at both tracts. Have really upped my shooting. Got my broadheads dialed in with my field points, just have to resight my HHA due to heavier arrows.

Once August arrives I will start going through all my gear. Fresh batteries in camera, rangefinder, flashlights, etc, and treat outerwear with Permethrin. I'd like to get new wheels for my game cart. Those hard rubber tires hang up on every branch. Need to see if bicycle tires will fit the axles.
    Get air filled wheel barrel tires. Got mine from harbor freight in pay for 8.99 per wheel. Best 18 bucks I've ever spent. Been using it this way for 4 seasons. Has hauled at least 40-50 deer and not one problem. Does not want to tip over and is much quieter. I will try to get a pic for you when I get home
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

1900021_10201116349860438_913487698_n.jpg

took him opening day last year. what do you think he scores? i was told by a friend the other day 140s, but i dont think that sounds right. can tell you he was 19.5" wide, dont know the rest of the measurements cause i never really cared enough to take them.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Quote Originally Posted by brushdog View Post
    Get air filled wheel barrel tires. Got mine from harbor freight in pay for 8.99 per wheel. Best 18 bucks I've ever spent. Been using it this way for 4 seasons. Has hauled at least 40-50 deer and not one problem. Does not want to tip over and is much quieter. I will try to get a pic for you when I get home
    Please do! That sounds like just what I'm looking for!
    Team 34- Rack Attack

Question: do you think the new buck regs will have any effect on your hunting this year, or on future bucks years down the road? I don't think it will have an impact on my hunting (never killed four bucks in a year, let alone six). I hope it does have an effect on future bucks, but I'm a little skeptical on that.
    Team 34- Rack Attack

i would like to think that it will make people reconsider what they shoot. i believe that it is a lot easier said than done though, especially on public land where you may pass up on a 6 pt., but the hunter 100 yds away from you may shoot that same 6 pt. without hesitation. only time will tell. they need to do something about the doe bag limit though. shoot too many of them and it can be just as bad, or even worse than shooting all bucks.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Every year I cross paths with a black snake usually more than once.
    Last year I stepped on a snake while stepping on some brush in the grass. Scared the stuffing out of me.

I think the new rules are reasonable. I like to kill big deer like everyone else, but it's nice to know that if you have a tough season you can still kill a buck if you want.

a couple years ago i was turkey hunting up against a deadfall and felt something on my leg. looked down and a black snake, probably 4-5 ft, crawlin across my leg.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Quote Originally Posted by BDHUNTR View Post
    Please do! That sounds like just what I'm looking for!
    Here you go. Sorry for the delay!! I didn't completely unfold the cart. It's been a long day and I didn't feel like taking the straps off lol. Cart works like a dream this way. After the first time I tried it with these wheels, I came home and threw the factory spoked rims with plastic tires right in the trash. Another thing I did was fill the axle tube with silicone then reinstalled the axle. Sooooooo much quieter now. Night and day difference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

I am going to have to try that! Looks great!
    Team 34- Rack Attack

Bought two wheels today and installed them. Works great!

Team 34- Rack Attack

Looks good. Glad it worked for you. Those bad boys need a touch of paint though lol. You will love it going over deadfalls in the woods with those tires
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

I would paint it if I brought it in with me from go. But I leave it in the truck until I need it. But yeah...that white is blinding!
    Team 34- Rack Attack

nice work on the cart.

maybe put some paint on it and some of that leafy 3d tape to break up the outline if it goes on public land so people dont steal it.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

I've gotta get me some cart action....not getting any younger and those public land drags are getting tougher each year!!!
    '08 Mathews DXT...plus lots of other great stuff!!
    “It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.” V. Lombardi
    "Don't Blink...life goes faster than you think" K.C.
    Member - Maryland Bowhunters Society

Quote Originally Posted by DrenalinHntr View Post
    nice work on the cart.

maybe put some paint on it and some of that leafy 3d tape to break up the outline if it goes on public land so people dont steal it.
    Gettin' to old to be humping in and out of public lands anymore! By the time I get the stand up and climb in, I'm ready to leave!
    Team 34- Rack Attack

i feel your pain man. im only 26 but have 2 bad knees and a bad back from football and weight lifting for 10 years. i hunt my family farm and the walks arent too bad, but some days it seems like i walked 3 miles to walk 300 yds with my junk.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Gets old. At almost 54 I still have plenty of hunting left, but my climber days are numbered. I have one stand that's about a 1/4 mile walk in, but then it's right up into the ladder stand. The other is all of 75 yards from the truck!

Where's your farm? Both of my spots are in Harford County.
    Team 34- Rack Attack

calvert county
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast