Archery Talk Forum banner

2014-15 MD Success Thread

29K views 436 replies 50 participants last post by  DrenalinHntr 
#1 ·
Season is a couple months out, and before you know it it will be here. What are you doing through the summer to prep yourself for this year? Anyone got pics of that buck they saw last year, or even a newbie that you never saw before? New land to hunt, new equipment? Im gonna try and post up some trailcam pics if I can ever find the time to get out there and get the cards from them. Seems like every time I want to go and check it rains and storms like hell all day long.

#8 ·
pulled the card on one of my cams today and have a couple pics of a nice looking buck, but for some reason i cant post the pics. looks to be a good buck, has browtines and decent mass, already as wide as his ears. im gonna have to see if i can get these pics uploaded tomorrow when i go into work.

#10 ·
Harford and Baltimore counties for me.

#11 ·
anybody seen the new deer regs yet?

break down is this (how i understand it anyways)...can shoot no more than 2 bucks with less than 4 total points that have to be at least 3" in length, and as many bucks of over than 4 points for the season (assuming that this means if you shoot a 4 pt. and 2 8 pts., you can either use your bonus antler stamp on another 4 pt. or less, or another buck over 4 pts).

I also need some understanding on this. If you shoot a buck in each weapon season and shoot your 2 does for your bonus stamp, do you get one stamp for the combined three seasons and shoot 4 total bucks, or do you get and additional stamp for each weapon season and get to shoot 6 total bucks? It has confused me ever since it was changed.

#12 ·
anybody seen the new deer regs yet?

break down is this (how i understand it anyways)...can shoot no more than 2 bucks with less than 4 total points that have to be at least 3" in length, and as many bucks of over than 4 points for the season (assuming that this means if you shoot a 4 pt. and 2 8 pts., you can either use your bonus antler stamp on another 4 pt. or less, or another buck over 4 pts).
in each weapon season and shoot your 2 does for your bonus stamp, do you get one stamp for the combined three seasons and shoot 4 total bucks, or do you get and additional stamp for each weapon season and get to shoot 6 total bucks? It has confused me ever since it was changed.
Not sure, but you have given me something to research

#14 ·
I'll be back this year. In Prince George's as usual. I'm late to the show as far as putting cameras and salt blocks out, I should have that finished this week. Other than that I'm looking to purchase a new bow this summer (looking for a Bowtech Assassin) and I'll hopefully be getting into some good fishing before the deer take over my life again. I've been busy doing campaign stuff for some local politicians, but that will be wrapping up next week (go vote on Tuesday!) and I'll be back outside..thank god.

I'll probably post some trail cam pics as they come, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's progress this summer. Good luck fellas

#17 ·
no it was changed. it used to be that you could take a max of 6 bucks in region b and then a max of 3 bucks in region a, for a total of 9. now there is a statewide buck bag limit and each hunter is allowed one buck per weapon season, with the addition of an extra buck stamp to use in any of the 3 seasons. this year they put an antler restriction in place that states no more than 2 bucks can be taken that are less than two points on one side. the other two bucks have to be 3 or more points on a side.

#18 ·
This is correct. Certainly made some changes that are not the easiest to comprehend!!!
Hopefully I can add some pics to the thread of buck kills this fall. I quit using trail cams last year so I won't have any pics before the season starts. Btw, I hunt in Harford and Baltimore counties.

#19 ·
i picked up a moultrie 990i from the cabelas in delaware and when i checked it there were only 2 pics on the card from a months worth of time in the woods, and the batteries were drained to almost dead. hope the second time isnt like that or it will be sent back.

#20 ·
Been hunting Md for 27 years Balt. Harford and Cecil counties. They need to drastically let up on the doe harvest. I have 8 weeks of vaction all spent hunting. Public land has been all but wiped out of deer. Its a shame it use to be sutch a nice place to hunt.

#21 ·
Me and the wife took a ride down to my lease lastnight to glass some fields and enjoy a nice sunset.I saw plenty of deer and plenty of nice buck! I should have brought my camera! I was shocked at how big the bucks were already. How much growing do you think they have left? I'm pumped now!!

#26 ·
Went out Saturday and checked my stands on two properties, got my permission slips signed and did some scouting. Saw plenty of sign at both tracts. Have really upped my shooting. Got my broadheads dialed in with my field points, just have to resight my HHA due to heavier arrows.

Once August arrives I will start going through all my gear. Fresh batteries in camera, rangefinder, flashlights, etc, and treat outerwear with Permethrin. I'd like to get new wheels for my game cart. Those hard rubber tires hang up on every branch. Need to see if bicycle tires will fit the axles.

#33 ·
Get air filled wheel barrel tires. Got mine from harbor freight in pay for 8.99 per wheel. Best 18 bucks I've ever spent. Been using it this way for 4 seasons. Has hauled at least 40-50 deer and not one problem. Does not want to tip over and is much quieter. I will try to get a pic for you when I get home

#27 ·
Calvert county and carroll county for me. Am putting my cameras back out this week, had to deal with some trespassers at home. Been shooting since the weather warmed up, really am not changing anything from last year so it should just be checking to make sure broadheads hit where they are supposed to and I should be good to go.

#30 ·
My experience is that snakes will leave you alone unless you're looking for them. After September they're pretty sparse. If you do come across any snakes, only worry about copperheads or eastern diamondback rattlesnakes (if you're in western MD). Otherwise the only concern is mosquitoes and wasp nests in any trees you're climbing in September/early October.

#31 ·
There are copperheads throughout the state, and timber rattlers (not diamondbacks) in the mountains of WMD. I am 53 and have been in the woods since I was a boy and have never seen either. There are numerous non-venomous snakes. They are harmless, although in Allegany County I came across a 6' black snake that was vibrating its tail in dry leaves so fast I thought it was a rattlesnake for sure! You will have some folks tell you there are cottonmouths in MD, but that has never been verified.

Just had a juvenile rat snake coiled up on my screen porch last week. Pretty little guy! Picked him up with garden gloves and let him go.

#32 ·
bought a primos 46 camera and a tree mount for it the other day, replaced the bolts in my ladder stand and painted the entire thing (what a pain that was). hope to have it hung in another month, waiting on a brace bar. saw some bucks the other day and they had added some points and a little bit of mass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.