Thread: Just in case anyone is interested...

Exclamation Just in case anyone is interested...

I figured I'd give you folks here a heads-up on this one as some had expressed an interest in it in the past.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2266737

Thanks for looking and L8R, Bill.
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

Why you selling?
    Don.
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by zestycj7 View Post
    Why you selling?
    Don.
    Sorry Don...it's a super sweet bow but I rarely shoot it and have been wanting a take down to pack on my motorcycle.
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    Sorry Don...it's a super sweet bow but I rarely shoot it and have been wanting a take down to pack on my motorcycle.
    Bill, I'm not sure if you are cheating on the finger shooting crowd with those reprobate trad shooters, or if they're the same mistress, just one half is better at math than the other. I see it like Catholics and Lutherans = pretty much the same thing, just one is hedging their bets a bit more! Ha!

I hope your move towards the trad bows doesn't deprive the finger shooting forum of your posts.

Great ProTec. If I had a decent trade, I’d be throwing it your way.

If it was in a hunting color I would buy it. Great fingers bow.

Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

man...I can't get rid of this thing...I thought it would get "jumped on" especially with the new color matched BCY "X" rigging.

maybe it's a sign?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    If it was in a hunting color I would buy it. Great fingers bow.
    Ya know...Krylon makes some great hunting colors!

But seriously...I had a very talented friend show me how to make a vegas target bow a hunting bow and then bring it back to all it's shiny glory in about 15 minutes and here's how he did it...

1. He taped/masked off everything he didn't want or need covered up.

2. Then he waxed the whole bow with a hard paste wax...like simonize...but didn't buff it off.

3. Then he shot the whole bow with spray "Plasti-Dip" rubberized coating.

4. Then he got artististic with flat black, primer gray, drab olive blow cans and did phenomenal camo job.

The bow disappeared in the woods...and then after hunting season was over?....

5. He simply pealed away all the camo'ed plasti-dip coating and buffed out the hard paste wax underneath.

Just a thought...cause that's what I was going to do.

Bill,
    It is a sign, you have to keep it and keep shooting it.
    You need to start going to shoots again and showing up all those sight shooters and show them how it's really done.
    Don.
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

man...I can't get rid of this thing...I thought it would get "jumped on" especially with the new color matched BCY "X" rigging.

maybe it's a sign?
    We seem to have our own "bubbles" for these types of bows. I was trying to pick up an older ProTec or Aspen last year, and was getting into bidding wars on eBay or seeing the bows go for very high prices in the classifieds in a matter of a few days.... then we hit a time when beautiful bows at very fair prices are getting daily bumps for a weeks and not moving, or receiving zero bids on ebay.

Just as a side conversation, and I'm wondering what others are thinking on this, but it seems the compound industry is slow or reluctant to acknowledge the strong market for longer ATA bows. Custom longbows and recurves are selling for more than modern short ATA compounds, as a lot of guys are moving back towards a traditional approach... .and you have to wait months for the bow, because the bowyers simply can't keep up. Perhaps I'm making too much of the connection between the long ATA/finger shooting/barebow guys and the trad shooters, but I definitely see us in the same camp.

Quote Originally Posted by zestycj7 View Post
    Bill,
    It is a sign, you have to keep it and keep shooting it.
    You need to start going to shoots again and showing up all those sight shooters and show them how it's really done.
    Don.
    Thanks Don...and yep...I'm starting to think that "selling it" is a wash because....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul68 View Post
    We seem to have our own "bubbles" for these types of bows. I was trying to pick up an older ProTec or Aspen last year, and was getting into bidding wars on eBay or seeing the bows go for very high prices in the classifieds in a matter of a few days.... then we hit a time when beautiful bows at very fair prices are getting daily bumps for a weeks and not moving, or receiving zero bids on ebay.

Just as a side conversation, and I'm wondering what others are thinking on this, but it seems the compound industry is slow or reluctant to acknowledge the strong market for longer ATA bows. Custom longbows and recurves are selling for more than modern short ATA compounds, as a lot of guys are moving back towards a traditional approach... .and you have to wait months for the bow, because the bowyers simply can't keep up. Perhaps I'm making too much of the connection between the long ATA/finger shooting/barebow guys and the trad shooters, but I definitely see us in the same camp.
    Paul brings up a good point here and yes...I see that bubble....but what blows my mind is this...

There's a Bass Pro shop 10 minutes from my house...and if I walked into their archery department toting this flammed out Hoyt Protec?...there'd be a small crowd gathering at the press oohhing and ahhing this bow...why?...because at a glance it's twice the bow of anything they have hanging from the ceiling...two isles worth of camo'ed out garbage...the best of them 1/2 the bow at twice the price of what I'm asking for this bow...and worse yet?..go to our classified here?...and I'm way over-priced at what others are selling protecs and ultra-tecs for...and here's the real rich part....the last wheelie I had before this protec?...was a $1,000 release shot PSE Omen...and yep...it was blazing fast...but as far as hitting the mark goes?...it had NOTHING on this Protec...the protec is surgical compared to the omen...but I guess everybody wants those shorter than a yardstick parallel limbed bows...where the limb tips move directly up and down...making string angles so acute that they MUST BE shot with a trigger.

Where I'm at with this protec now?....I'm a machinst...and I'm seriously contemplating selling the limbs, wheels and rigging off this protec...then designing and machining some T7075 ILF limb pockets for it...have the riser refinished in Milspec Flat Black anodize...screw those sweet little rosewood accent grips back on...and snap on some used HEX 6 Border limbs....shooting for about 40#s...how's that sound?...nice little customized Hunting/3D project bow?

I'm a machinst...and I'm seriously contemplating selling the limbs, wheels and rigging off this protec...then designing and machining some T7075 ILF limb pockets for it...
    Cannibal! Hahaha!! Would love to see that project worked out in pictures and posts. I'd make you an offer on the cams, but don't think they'll work on my LX limbs.

The Pro Tec bows were almost impossible to find for me in a wheeled 48" version. If I did find one it was either for sale for a lot of money, in bad shape or sold. Back in April I was lucky enough to find 2 in one weekend. One at 50# and the other at 60# and both in like new shape. I was able to buy both for $350 tmd each. What amazed me is that I found them here. I like most of you shoot fingers BHFSL and FSL and am just getting back into shooting. I tried the newer bows and was very frustrated by not getting the feel that I wanted. big cypress was getting a new Barnsdale and one of the bows I got was one of his old (like new) bows. Before (1980's) I shot BHFSL and averaged 294, with the newer shorter ata and cam bows I could only get in the 285 range. With the Pro Tec I am now back in the high 290 range. There is no comparison of my 2003 bows to the new ones. Quality, smoothness, forgiving and deadly accurate are words that come to mind. I am always looking for others and believe they were some of the finest ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaleer View Post
    The Pro Tec bows were almost impossible to find for me in a wheeled 48" version. If I did find one it was either for sale for a lot of money, in bad shape or sold. Back in April I was lucky enough to find 2 in one weekend. One at 50# and the other at 60# and both in like new shape. I was able to buy both for $350 tmd each. What amazed me is that I found them here. I like most of you shoot fingers BHFSL and FSL and am just getting back into shooting. I tried the newer bows and was very frustrated by not getting the feel that I wanted. big cypress was getting a new Barnsdale and one of the bows I got was one of his old (like new) bows. Before (1980's) I shot BHFSL and averaged 294, with the newer shorter ata and cam bows I could only get in the 285 range. With the Pro Tec I am now back in the high 290 range. There is no comparison of my 2003 bows to the new ones. Quality, smoothness, forgiving and deadly accurate are words that come to mind. I am always looking for others and believe they were some of the finest ever produced.
    X2. I'll vote the '03 Protec LX Pro 4000 as the zenith of Hoyt's line. I know some guys who will give the award to the Aspen, but I cast my vote with the ProTec. They are hard to find out there, especially the LX Pro limbs, but worth it if you can find one. But with all the older finger bows, it seems a feast or famine in terms of availability.

Paul68
    I was so lucky and got two '03 Protec LX Pro Custom with the LX Pro limbs and Accuwheels. Believe it or not it was my 64th birthday weekend. I bought one for myself and my wife and daughters bought the other for me. They will never leave my side. big cypress loved the one he sold me so much, he made me promise that if we ever wanted to sell the one we got from him, we would let him know first. The bow we got from him looks like it just came out of the box. Thank you again big cypress!

Quote Originally Posted by Metaleer View Post
    Paul68
    I was so lucky and got two '03 Protec LX Pro Custom with the LX Pro limbs and Accuwheels. Believe it or not it was my 64th birthday weekend. I bought one for myself and my wife and daughters bought the other for me. They will never leave my side. big cypress loved the one he sold me so much, he made me promise that if we ever wanted to sell the one we got from him, we would let him know first. The bow we got from him looks like it just came out of the box. Thank you again big cypress!
    You should have bought a lottery ticket on that weekend! What luck! I got my first '03 Protec new, thanks to an upstanding archer and gentleman in Colorado named Mike Rose. He owned a small proshop and convinced me the Protec LX Pro was the right way to go. I've managed to add a couple to the collection since then, thru luck and bidding. I also got lucky with a beautiful Aspen from the classifieds... but the Protec has a special spot.