a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon-to-be DST 38 owner

Soon-to-be DST 38 owner

Hi there, AT newbie from the UK here.

So I'm relatively new to compound archery, having spent a fair few months with my Bowtech Assassin (which I love dearly).

I'm very much addicted to the feel of compound shooting, and plan to concentrate on that aspect with a bit of barebow recurve mixed in now and again. I'm making decent progress already.

So it came to pass that I ended up with a nice consultancy job at work that will give me some spare change. I've been pondering a nice target compound so I can revert the Assassin to its natural status with all of its hunting paraphernalia. Not planning on getting rid of it, it's a joy to shoot compared to the other compounds I've shot at the club (not too many, since I'm a left eye/right hand guy and shoot LH). So I read into nice target bows - most at my club shoot Hoyts. I stumbled across OK's website and fell in love with the shoot-through riser/cables concept, and particularly the vertical symmetry on the Absolute. I took the plunge and ordered one after lurking a bit on here. So I'm really keen to hear your experiences with these fine bows.

I'm wondering what setups you people have on your OK bows. I think my Spot Hogg Platinum rest will be fine, and my sight/scope combo is definitely OK. As for arrows, I have some quite chunky ACCs at the moment - are there clearance issues to be had here? I can invest in some ACEs perhaps. What fletching are y'all using? The Bohning impulse vanes are a possibility with the really low profile. Spin Wings too, if I can ensure good rest clearance.

My Beiter centralizer stabiliser set-up should be fine too, with some respraying of the tuner blocks to match the new bow

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

Hello goodking welcome to the party
    quick answer to you ...whatever accessories you can get for bargain like left handed sight or right handed rest or front stabilizers, doesn't realy matter left or right handed, just dress it up and go shooting...thinkering comes afterwards when you ready with questions ....
    No clearance issues not even with my indoor plumbing pipes if you go some low profile vanes like AAE Max 2.0 or FlexFletch FFP187 or FFS212...
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

Very exciting for you I'm sure. What color did you order. Like the Hun said pretty much any thing will work to get shooting. I shoot a basic tuner with a blade,my old copper john sight and I also use the beiter stab. Lots of great info here on setup but when in doubt just ask!!
    Dave

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps. Beautiful bow there, dave!

My order has gone in for Ocean Blue riser (from the ICP), and 'Lemon' string stops and cams (which is actually the lime green depicted on the Absolute on the web page). Will add grey accents in serving and stuff. Getting a navy blue/lime green string/cable set done courtesy of my dealer. Bonus points for guessing my favourite sports team this is referencing (my nationality won't help you here).

All my existing stuff is left-handed, I'll probably just invest in a decent offset bar and run one side rod to keep weight down. I have the same stabby type as you dave.

Did the rubber limb guards come as standard?

Congrats in the new bow! I just got an Absolute also (my first OK DST) and am having fun with it. I'm also LH, so it's exciting to know I can mix/match LH/RH accessories. As I'm sure you're well aware, it can be a royal pain to find good LH stuff. Being able to buy RH stuff opens all sorts of new doors. I doubt I could get used to shooting a RH sight, but a RH rest shouldn't be much of a problem.

Wander on over to Dave's thread about his thoughts on the 38. Its a good read on initial setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodking View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome chaps. Beautiful bow there, dave!

My order has gone in for Ocean Blue riser (from the ICP), and 'Lemon' string stops and cams (which is actually the lime green depicted on the Absolute on the web page). Will add grey accents in serving and stuff. Getting a navy blue/lime green string/cable set done courtesy of my dealer. Bonus points for guessing my favourite sports team this is referencing (my nationality won't help you here).

All my existing stuff is left-handed, I'll probably just invest in a decent offset bar and run one side rod to keep weight down. I have the same stabby type as you dave.

Did the rubber limb guards come as standard?
    You have great taste. My two favorite colors lemon and blue. My next absolute will be lemon riser with blue cams

It did come with the rubber but I think the Europe bow are shipped with the other type like bowjax or something but can't say for sure

I hope your spouse is understanding when you explain to him/her that you will need a second bow! Said it before and will say it again.....they are like potato chips......you just can't stop at one!
    Congrats and welcome to the family!
    Proud authorized dealer for Ok Archery bows and Carbofast stabilizers.
    DST40 and DST38 (Absolute), DS Advantage Sights and Rests, Carbofast Stabilizers, Stan Just X
    "Tuning can only be relevant if you have consistent form; and if you have consistent form , tuning then becomes irrelevant." Bernie

Cheers! My fiancée is actually planning on getting her first compound, a little Hoyt Ruckus as she's very small.

Does anyone shoot OK bows in competitions, at the World Cup etc.? I don't recall seeing many and one of the guys at the club thought they must not be up to much for that reason.

Cheers! My fiancée is actually planning on getting her first compound, a little Hoyt Ruckus as she's very small.

Does anyone shoot OK bows in competitions, at the World Cup etc.? I don't recall seeing many and one of the guys at the club thought they must not be up to much for that reason.
    Unlikely to see these bows in the hands of the people at the World Cup events because there is no contingency money like the other major brands. No contingency money.....no top shooters. That being said there is no better bow out there for fit, finish and engineering.
    Tell the boys at your club to keep shooting what the pro's shoot and when your bow comes in show them your bow. Guarantee they will be green with envy and want to try it.
    Of course its all for not if the bow doesn't suit the shooter. But from the objective aspect there is no argument these bows are top of the heap
    DST40 and DST38 (Absolute), DS Advantage Sights and Rests, Carbofast Stabilizers, Stan Just X
    "Tuning can only be relevant if you have consistent form; and if you have consistent form , tuning then becomes irrelevant." Bernie

Yeah, one of the guys mentioned seeing 'a German brand' at a stand at an event, and mentioned the symmetrical shoot-through cables and how nice the bow seemed. I said was it an OK bow and he said 'yeah, that's the one!'. So outside of brand loyalty, these seem to be very highly regarded. The Absolute's vertical between-axle symmetry just seems like a great logical progression. Holding a such a long ATA bow so low down is no doubt going to feel odd, though!

The other threads in here seem very useful, particularly in regard to tweaking the draw length. I've got mine ordered at a 28.5" AMO DL, but it may need to be tweaked a bit with cable twists or D-loop shortening/lengthening. There aren't any OK shooters at my club, so I may be appealing for advice on here depending on how well the dealer helps me get set up... I'll get pictures up for certain although that will probably be about three months from now!

Yeah, one of the guys mentioned seeing 'a German brand' at a stand at an event, and mentioned the symmetrical shoot-through cables and how nice the bow seemed. I said was it an OK bow and he said 'yeah, that's the one!'. So outside of brand loyalty, these seem to be very highly regarded. The Absolute's vertical between-axle symmetry just seems like a great logical progression. Holding a such a long ATA bow so low down is no doubt going to feel odd, though!

The other threads in here seem very useful, particularly in regard to tweaking the draw length. I've got mine ordered at a 28.5" AMO DL, but it may need to be tweaked a bit with cable twists or D-loop shortening/lengthening. There aren't any OK shooters at my club, so I may be appealing for advice on here depending on how well the dealer helps me get set up... I'll get pictures up for certain although that will probably be about three months from now!
    One of the most adjustable and tuneable bows you can have. Remember the mods allow you to adjusts in 1/4" increments. Tweaking it with cables and string means you can get it down to 1/32" if you really feel like splitting hairs.
    I've been happy with my set up but got the urge to play around. I am waiting on two new OK bows. I wanted to experiment a bit so that when the new ones arrive I can try to optimize the set up. Also helps that there are no tournament in the next couple weeks.
    Played for a while. Just a few twists/untwists of the cables and the bow feels completely different. I like the new feel a lot. Must be my old age.....I like this new mellowed set up. This will be the new set up for the new bows. I will take all measurements and mimic the set up on new bows.
    BEST OF ALL.......I did all this without a press. Just played in the field until I got the feel that I was after.

This is the one brand that's never left me wanting more (other than a second and third OK bow). I never question "is there something better out there"

Quote Originally Posted by mgnasi View Post
    One of the most adjustable and tuneable bows you can have. Remember the mods allow you to adjusts in 1/4" increments. Tweaking it with cables and string means you can get it down to 1/32" if you really feel like splitting hairs.
    I've been happy with my set up but got the urge to play around. I am waiting on two new OK bows. I wanted to experiment a bit so that when the new ones arrive I can try to optimize the set up. Also helps that there are no tournament in the next couple weeks.
    Played for a while. Just a few twists/untwists of the cables and the bow feels completely different. I like the new feel a lot. Must be my old age.....I like this new mellowed set up. This will be the new set up for the new bows. I will take all measurements and mimic the set up on new bows.
    BEST OF ALL.......I did all this without a press. Just played in the field until I got the feel that I was after.

This is the one brand that's never left me wanting more (other than a second and third OK bow). I never question "is there something better out there"
    Add a pair of calipers and some stops and I'm sure you can split hairs...

Quote Originally Posted by dave-madden View Post
    Add a pair of calipers and some stops and I'm sure you can split hairs...

I don't know if this makes me a loser....but I have the callipers. Just waiting on the bows with the limb stops.
    Just as an FYI.......Distributor told me that going forward the 36 and the 40 will now be coming with limb stops as well.

I don't know if this makes me a loser....but I have the callipers. Just waiting on the bows with the limb stops.
    Just as an FYI.......Distributor told me that going forward the 36 and the 40 will now be coming with limb stops as well.
    Loser? Hell no you shoot ok bows ... Lol. Yeah I've seen the limb stops on the European bows. Nice addition.

I hope your spouse is understanding when you explain to him/her that you will need a second bow! Said it before and will say it again.....they are like potato chips......you just can't stop at one!
    Consider this a warning^^^^^ he speaks the truth. I have spent a small fortune on ok bows and have one more to buy.

Just do what I did, bite the bullet and get the spouse one too. Now if the dang thing whould just come in.

OK DST 38.jpg

Guess what turned up several weeks early at the dealer?

Haven't got it myself yet, but looking forward to having a play! I'd planned to go tune at the dealer's place, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me at short notice and the six hour round trip is boring alone, so they're shipping it.

nice looking bow ! I don't think you are going to like it , But being a good guy i can take it of your hands if you would like ( JK )

Awesome!! Looks great.

I really like that blue. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    Congrats in the new bow! I just got an Absolute also (my first OK DST) and am having fun with it. I'm also LH, so it's exciting to know I can mix/match LH/RH accessories. As I'm sure you're well aware, it can be a royal pain to find good LH stuff. Being able to buy RH stuff opens all sorts of new doors. I doubt I could get used to shooting a RH sight, but a RH rest shouldn't be much of a problem.

Wander on over to Dave's thread about his thoughts on the 38. Its a good read on initial setup.
    The right hand rest will beat the daylights out of your knuckles - ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by dua lam pa View Post
    The right hand rest will beat the daylights out of your knuckles - ask me how I know
    Man was I worried about this when I tried it.... Set'er up in my basement and stood in front of the target. Drew back and closed my eyes and shot. I was just waiting for the knuckle smash, but it never happened. Its a shame the rest (DS Advantage) didn't adjust low enough to get the nock centered between the axles. I love that rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    Man was I worried about this when I tried it.... Set'er up in my basement and stood in front of the target. Drew back and closed my eyes and shot. I was just waiting for the knuckle smash, but it never happened. Its a shame the rest (DS Advantage) didn't adjust low enough to get the nock centered between the axles. I love that rest!
    not low enough ? I do not shoot with a flat hand either could be the culprit
    - Its not a painfull thing , it slowly crates a sucking wound , and as an addict. of course I kept shooting -

I have a brand new trophet taker pro , left side
    and a Rubix right side I will swop ya out for
    but ya cant beat the Beiter

Had first shoot with the DST 38 today, very nice bow - just finding the centre-shot, slapping a peep in and chucking a long rod on pretty much everything was in the 10 at 40 yards once sighted in, and that in the wind! Gonna be a beast once I get it tuned more finely and correct the torque with a side rod. I find there's no travel left on my LH sight, so I will need to shim that out a few mm I think. First impressions very positive! I liked the feel better without the limb stops, the back is still super solid and I will need to account for the DL reduction if I use them. Will post updates and impressions as I tune up.

Hey all, quick question for ya... I have been shooting without the limb stops and the draw length is pretty much perfect with the current module. If I add the limb stops it shortens the draw by a huge amount. Is there a way you can get around this without buying another module?

Lastly, what does you stabiliser set ups look like in terms of weight distribution? Hanging the bow up I have it perfectly balanced, but I am finding it relatively tricky to prevent torque when aiming which is something I usually find easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast