Thread: Advice for my daughters first bows

Advice for my daughters first bows

Hello All,

I have 4 daughters, all of whom are interested in beginning to shoot since I took the sport back up a few months ago. To be honest, I wasn't expecting all four to be this interested in shooting, and I'd like them to become involved.

At this point, I believe the youngest two could share a bow. They've been doing so at the range. The oldest is interested in shooting recurve, the 2nd oldest compound.

MY DILEMMA, how much money do I sink into this with the understanding that more than one may walk away from this, and may do it soon after I buy the equipment? I think #1 and #3 might keep it up for the long term, but not so much #2 & #4.

Can anyone suggest an affordable recurve bow for a 17 yr old, and a compound for a 9 year old? I'd like a step above the "kit" bows (bow, arrows, finger guard, etc0 you can buy at Academy or Bass Pro. I've been fortunate enough to set up a small range in the back yard for them.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Milo

I don't know enough about recurve bows to make a recommendation. But a Mission Craze would fit your 9 year old now and grow with her - or could be changed at any point to fit one of your other daughters. Find your local Mission dealer by going to www.missionarchery.com - enjoy your bow!
    LH Mathews Heli-m, 26" 53lb, GoldTip 3555, AAE pro drop rest, Axcel sight, Dead Center stablizer, T.R.U. Ball Baby HT release.
    LH Mathews MR6 26" 51lbs, CXL Pro 150s, AAE Pro drop rest, CBE sight, Dead Center stabilizer, T.R.U. Ball Outlaw Release

I bought a Genesis for my younger two to share until I was sure they wanted to stick with it. Once they got past the novelty of it all and settled in to really learn- then I got them each their own.

Then the oldest got one for around $400. The 2nd oldest got one of my old ones until he outgrew it. Then the youngest wanted a compound... and the 3rd finally got herself a "real" bow after that. It would have killed our bank account to get them all fully set up at once, doing so in hopes that they stuck with it would be nuts.

You will find it pretty easy to sell off a genesis when they don't want it anymore.

A Genesis sounds like a good idea. It will give them a feel for the sport without killing your finances.

And if they are young- they won't shoot for long. My kids would shoot for 10-15 minutes, then head out to the field to catch frogs. Then they'd come back and shoot a little more. Make sure you aren't expecting them to have the focus of an athlete yet. That's part of why one bow works for two younger kids.

Another thought - the Infinite Edge by Diamond. A lot of kids, youth, women, and men are shooting that bow. It's gotten great reviews. I heard it has an infinite draw seetting so you could get one and all 4 girls could shoot it (in theory).

What MN_Chick is solid and spot on.
    Personally I would not get one bow for all of them. Wars have been started that way.

The Genesis bow would be a very good way to start and to find out if any of them really want to do this archery thing. Is it just a fad. (Kids are really like that, yes they are)

Once you figure out which one actually likes archery and you are secure in the fact that you won't be wasting your money, (Unless you are wealthy which changes things) I would recommend the Infinite Edge.

While there are many good bows on the market that a youth can grow into, I have significant experience with the IE and they are a very good bow. You can tune them like a guitar, they are pretty fast (310 IBO), have a smooth draw and a solid wall and are very accurate in competent hands.

It's a bow that is infinite in adjust-ability while using only an Allen wrench.

They can be had for just over 300 bucks too.
    I like the price.
    `````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````` ````````````````
    Human life has become cheap in our "enlightened" society. Liberalism has taught these kids that there's no difference in killing a one-year-old in a stroller and killing a ten WEEK old baby in the womb! These killers are not human - they are demons spawned in the cesspool of Progressive ideology.

Still new to archery, but I went with the Diamond Atomic for my 8yo daughter. She is on the smaller side, so we needed a bow with a lower draw weight. We looked at the Genesis and the Mini, but no one around town had one that she could try out. So far she loves it. We just increased the draw length a bit for her today and it was super easy.

Like MN_Chick said, she will shoot 3-9 arrows then wander off and play for a bit, then come back. Then again, my arm is only good for about 30 minutes before my muscles can't hold my bow anymore (I have the Mission Craze). I believe my daughters bow was $200 and it came with 3 arrows and a quiver.