Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow Press plans and instructions you can download

Here is a press I built for 40.00

Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Parallel (or near parallel) Limb Bow

Midlife Crisis,
    How does this press work on a parallel or near parallel limb bow. When I look at Apples catalogue, they have only 1 press designed for parallel limbs.
    I just bought a PSE Vengance (PSE's version of parallel limbs) and need a bow press to work with.

Anyone else having information available on the other designs that have been posted in thread, I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks and good shooting,
    kikker

Quote Originally Posted by kikker
    Midlife Crisis,
    How does this press work on a parallel or near parallel limb bow. When I look at Apples catalogue, they have only 1 press designed for parallel limbs.
    I just bought a PSE Vengance (PSE's version of parallel limbs) and need a bow press to work with.
    It works great on my 2005 Switchback, which is a parallel limb bow. As I indicated in the plans, I took time to line up and measure my pieces and drill holes for my bow. I see no reason why anyone could not custom make the press to work with any parallel limb bow. In the future if I ever buy a different bow I might (and I stress "might" - it might only require me to drill some different holes, if that) have to replace the main beam, press arms, and cable for the new press, but all the other parts should be reusable.
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, & Spitfire Gobbler Getter broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Midlife. I appreciate all the effort you put into the details on this press and your willingness to share it with us. Since I am not really familiar with the new fangled equipment and a bow cost more than an entire setup (of my day), I want to make sure of all my steps before going forward.

How are things in Conn? When I lived there in the early 60' that is where I learned to shoot. Used to travel from Danielson to Hartford 2 - 3 time a week to shoot. More fun then than ever sense with a bow.

Regards and good shooting,
    Kikker

bow press

Ya, actually I did just kind of wing it. I just looked at the apple press and just tried to make it similar to it.

The entire press comes apart, if you look close in the pictures you can see the blue bolts in all of the pictures. The sections all slide off the main tube so it doesn't take up so much room if you don't want to leave it out.

I do not know if a trykon or switchback will work in it or not. I have a matthews MQ1 and a martin razor x se (in the press) and they both fit in it.
    Might need to make the uprights more verical and put the rollers as close to center as possible for those real parallel limb bows.

Thanks for the excuse

Thanks for the excuse to get back in the shop and play on the mill. I was a little rusty but the smell of the coolant and the burning oil brought it all back quick.

I made a small modification to the plans in that I added a slot in place of the drilled holes so I could use the press for more than a couple of bows.

I have tried it on my two late 90's bows and there will be a bowtech in it in a few weeks. It took about 1 hr of machine time and 1 hour of marking the holes and cut outs. Price tag:

Metal - metal marketplace - $39 (never knew the place existed but I will be back again! They cut to spec and there is no minimum charge.)

Nuts, Bolts & Cable - In house supplied - No cost

Bottle jack & hose - Advance auto parts - $9.88 + $4

Primer & paint - Left over primer & Ford blue paint from the engine job a few years ago.

Paint will be done this weekend and it will be complete.

All in all it was tiem well spent compaired to buying a press for the few times a year I need one at home.

This is not a bad project even if it was done at home so if you are contemplating it get-er' done!

Thanks for getting me going!

Mike
    Last edited by WNYArcher; March 10th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Ok guys i need ya'lls help i want to make a bowpress but I dont have a welder so it has to be done with just bolts also it needs to be adjustable for differant bows. It does not need to be made for a parallel bow but how much harder would it be to make it for one just in case i buy a parallel bow? Which design should i use gmcman, ruthunt,rats,or midlife crisis? Thanks for any help you could give me.

Preee

Quote Originally Posted by Kilnbux
    Anyone know where they sell the side crank jack that is found on the Apple presses??
    I bought mine from Harbor Freight. $22

Ready-Made, Reasonably Priced Press

For those who don't want to build, but want a more affordable press than those sold by Apple or Sure-Loc, the newly modified press sold by Toad400 looks to me like it would be good for parallel limb bows as well as traditional compound limbs. $220 + $15-35 for shipping for the press with the new arm design.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ighlight=press
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, & Spitfire Gobbler Getter broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

Trykon bow press?

First time writer long time watcher, here goes. I just bought the Hoyt Trykon(short axle). Has anyone put it in the press Midlife Crisis has posted? Thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to this first timer.

Completed Crisis Press with slight mods

Front

Back

press jack

bought a square us general weld on jack for mine was 34.00 ttd from harbor freight. havent started building my press yet but bet it will work great
    Ross CR337
    spot hogg hogg it, Trophy Taker, Easton Redline 460
    , cartel shock eater stab, Rockey Mountain Snypers, Wac-em Tritions, Blazer Vanes, , Super Peep

E & J archery New Englands best HCA dealer

Switchback XT

Sorry if I missed it but will this press work on a Switchback XT?

Quote Originally Posted by dennykyser
    Sorry if I missed it but will this press work on a Switchback XT?
    I don't know why it would not, but I've only used it on my 2005 Switchback. I think you'd just need to be careful on the measurements for inner rollers, length of the main beam, hole positions for the outer rollers, and the cable length (short enough to work, but not too short that you can't get your bow into the press). If you are not comfortable with that I'd check out a Toad press with the side jack - but ask him first about it working with the XT.

I made one too!

100_2149.jpg

Made mine from steel from the scrap bin at work (I accidentally cut some to short ) The boat rollers, paint and jack came from Wal-Mart, the rest from the hardware store. I used 1/2" air line on the riser padding instead of heater hose, it was a freebe too! The bow is a SwitchBack XT and it works very well.

David
    Horseshoe Bend Archery Strings
    Hoyt Vector Turbo, Hoyt Vantage X 7 Hoyt Alphaburner
    "HEY, that thing's a piece a junk!" -Si Robertson, Duck Commanders.

For those looking for X-Press style plans..get ahold of Swackhamer

It took some time and elbow grease, but here is my home made press: all stainless steel, made for less than $100.
    I had a machine shop do the welding on the connectors: they're very simple, just a square piece of tubing with plates welded to the side. On the back they have a hole drilled with a nut welded on to accomodate the whataretheycalled black bolts. I had them do the drilling too: at home I can't get the tight tolerances needed to keep the whole thing torque free.
    For the rest it was finishing: a lot of grinding and polishing, and figuring out how to make a simple jack. I ended up with two pieces of tube that fitted into each other, and fitting the threaded rod of an old car jack inside. Just twist the handle in the center and the inner tube with the hooks on it goes up very smoothly. By using a chain to pull the limbs it's easy to adjust, and by looking at the leftover chain hanging down it's easy to see if everything is symmetrical.

It can press any bow with a riser length up to 35" and deal with any limb up to 17" or so (acual max distance between the supports is 15" , but the upper one comes below the cams).

All materials, welding and drilling added up to about $100, not bad for a luxury press I think.

Opa

You can find some pictures here:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~pdj/at/Press%20Front%201.jpg
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~pdj/at/Press%20Back.jpg
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~pdj/at/Press%20Detail.jpg
    90% of the time the opposite of good
    is not bad but "well intended"

Max Planck

Here a reduced picture to get a quick glance.

Opa

Max Planck

press

ttt

I now have plans for the FrankenPress if any one still wants them. I replied to several of the PM's so send me your e-mail addy and I will get 'em out to ya'll. They aren't as nicely done as those of Midlife Crisis, but the price is the same.

And I must say Opa, that is one halluva nice press!

My bowpress plans are available here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pdj/bp/Bowpress%20Opa.pdf

Have fun, Opa
    Last edited by opa; June 10th, 2006 at 05:23 PM.

Max Planck

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gmcman
    Something I made in my spare time. I did make a new crossbar that is longer to go all the way to the outside of the limb pockets. Works great, I might have about fifty bucks stuck in it and everything was new.

just wandering where you got the plans for your press as I think that is what i am looking for. i say that because i am new to sport but am equipping myself nicely, but presses seem to be priced ******edly. i shoot an '05 Hoyt ultraelite which has split limbs and i don't know if this press will work or if it makes a difference.

Bow press

Finished my bow press thanks to Midlife Crisis for his time and the awesome plans

A few people had some questions on the original build. So, I have an update. However, since I didn't save anyone's e-mail addy I am going to post it here. You can just copy and paste it into the original set of plans if you want. I will also add it to the originals so that any future plans have it.

Main beam length

Has anyone built one of these presses to use on more than one bow.I have amartin and a hoyt and they both need to be pressed at differant locations. The differance in locations is about 1". Also Hoyt useres that have bult on what lenght did you cut the main beam? Thanks
    Bowtech Commander
    Hoyt Dynatech
    Martin Phantom
    PSE Percision Edge

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast