Archery Talk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow Press plans and instructions you can download

268K views 239 replies 165 participants last post by  Lurch51212 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you would like a copy of my plans and a parts list, please find them at the following link:
http://www.webow.com/Bow Press Plans.pdf

Other press plans can be found with the following links:

http://www.webow.com/Bow Press Plans.pdf

http://www.webow.com/Bow Press X-Press Type Plans with Welding.pdf

Take the time necessary to read this entire thread – there are lots of good ideas for modifications and improvements. Note: if I could weld, I’d build a linear press, which was not in the marketplace when I found some plans and made modifications so I could build it without welding….

#2 ·
Nice job

That is a very well put together document. Looks like just about any goober could build one by following your instructions. :thumbs_up If I didn't already have a bow press I think I would build one of those.

#6 ·
ArcheryBowdocto said:
Page 13 picture shows the rods against the riser in a bad location. The rods should be at the pivot point of the limbs. Where the limbs and riser come together. In the picture this could cause a riser to twist or bend....not a good idea!

Just my personal thoughts.
Yeah. That's Mr. Smith's press. I have no idea if he spoke to his bow manufacturer about ideal roller position. From your comments I would guess not. The photos of my bow in my press on page 7 reflect what Mathews told me was best for the Switchback.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Marvin said:
What about making the lower pegs on an adjustable frame with a set screw to hold them in place? ( picture a steel floating on a smaller steel tube similiar to an apple)
I like that idea - it would result in a press that could replicate the X-Press if you could also do it for the press arms and have the thing be secure. However, it might require welding of the roller arm to the outer steel tube or some appendage to it (I wanted to avoid that). And unfortunately I could not see how to do it with 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" square tube without somehow trimming the inner weld in the outer steel tube (1-1/2") jacket so it would slide over the inner tube [it will not do so with the weld ini place as the fit is very tight] - probably a lot of work to do it over the 1-1/2"-3" of outer tube you would need to do this with. Maybe it could be done with a metal file and a lot of elbow grease or with some power tool.

Then what about using a 2" outer square tube for the outer tube that holds the inner rollers? I don't know - that's a lot of space between the outer tube and the inner tube. Done correctly (again, welding the roller bar to the tube) it might work. To position the set screw you'd either want to drill a hole and weld a nut directly over the hole or tap the outer steel tube to accomodate the set screw threads. My guess is that weldign the nut in place would give you a lot more threads to work with and more assurance that the set screw would be sturdy.

Maybe someone can work on a design with and without welds.

#92 ·
Hiya bowdoctor,
Joe here..well met! Saw you picture of you table bow press horizontal and loved it! Looks fantastic. Do you have any other pics of it? Would love to build one. Read that you have built several. Would be so happy if I could get any further info on the fantastic set up! My email address is jdmiii@satx.rr.com . I did look up your webpage and when I got there..it wanted to send me somewhere else..not sure what is going on with that. So I figured I would send you a message. Again, thanks for any help you could give me! Joe ..aka Robin Da Hood!

#11 ·
The horizontal bow press I have built in 3 pro shops works well. The total of presses I have built is 7 and you can use it for crossbows as well. The table takes up less room and can be used as a work area.

People that has used the vertical type for years, have used my horizontal and like it better. No more dropping parts on the floor as much because you can catch them in you hand. The string is lower to tie in peeps, and servings. Do not knock it until you try one! :wink:

#12 ·
Here is an old picture when I worked at a Pro Shop in Freeland Michigan. You can see here two of the presses and this was taken in 1984. This shop had 5 horizontal presses and I built two of them, the ones in the picture.

See the old Hoyt Pro Hunter camo in my press, I'm the one in the white shirt in front of the two others.

Attachments

#16 ·
ArcheryBowdocto said:
Here is an old picture when I worked at a Pro Shop in Freeland Michigan. You can see here two of the presses and this was taken in 1984. This shop had 5 horizontal presses and I built two of them, the ones in the picture.

See the old Hoyt Pro Hunter camo in my press, I'm the one in the white shirt in front of the two others.
Is that out at Erno's ?

#18 · (Edited)
The press I built is based on the Devin/Deerslayer press as well. But as you can see it is a little different. The main thing is I used sliders for the riser stops on the 2" tubing to accomodate longer riser bows. Since these pictures were taken I have rebuilt the sliders with two holes in them for the rollers to accomodate the youth bows with paralell limbs easier. I also used round stock instead of the bolts. There rare no stops on the sliders, the tension holds them in place without them.

Here is where I posted the original build.
Original Build on ASN

Attachments

#20 ·
Apple Pro Extreme clone press plans

I have complete plans for a Press identical to the Apple Pro Extreme. I can't take credit for these plans because they were sent to me by another member a long time ago. These are very professional; plans that include a complete list of materials and drawings.
If anyone is interested please PM me with your Email address and I will send them out to you. Please be aware that these plans are in a Microsoft Word format.

#198 ·
Bow press

I have complete plans for a Press identical to the Apple Pro Extreme. I can't take credit for these plans because they were sent to me by another member a long time ago. These are very professional; plans that include a complete list of materials and drawings.
If anyone is interested please PM me with your Email address and I will send them out to you. Please be aware that these plans are in a Microsoft Word format.
If you are willing to share please forward to ricearcher@aol.com

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.