Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crossbow choices for my son

crossbow choices for my son

My first post here. My son is 6 and I'm considering a crossbow for him for deer hunting. We went to a shop this weekend and he shot a Parker Challenger. I've been seeing mixed reviews on them and am wanting some more choices.

MAYBE a Excalibur matrix 330 would be a good choice, or a Barnett recruit.

A crossbow might be a little dangerous for a 6 year old ..as far as loosing a hand goes.....?

Definelty will need constant adult supervision
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Hunt deer at 6 I did not know that was legal not in my state it's not.

Oh yeah constant supervision and it will always be shot off a rest.

Good entry level crossbows are Wicked Ridge by TenPoint. TenPoint quality at lower prices..

No, six not too young if legal and supervised..

Good luck and thanks for taking your youngster out. the youth are our future.

Quote Originally Posted by cc122368 View Post

Yes it is legal.

It's legal in PA under the mentored youth program. My son shot a 5 point buck last year. He is 5 now, turns 6 in August.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Good entry level crossbows are Wicked Ridge by TenPoint. TenPoint quality at lower prices..

No, six not too young if legal and supervised..

Good luck and thanks for taking your youngster out. the youth are our future.
    wicked ridge is what I have my boys shooting.

I'm all for taking your kids out but putting a weapon in a 6 year olds hands I think to young that's why I gave up gun hunting as soon as I heard youth mentor in my state I have been almost shot twice by adult idiots I'm sure you will have them and there kids learning off them. Would get back into gun when my kids are old enough but with this I don't think I would feel my kids safe in the woods with others that young in the woods.

I'm all for taking your kids out but putting a weapon in a 6 year olds hands I think to young that's why I gave up gun hunting as soon as I heard youth mentor in my state I have been almost shot twice by adult idiots I'm sure you will have them and there kids learning off them. Would get back into gun when my kids are old enough but with this I don't think I would feel my kids safe in the woods with others that young in the woods.
    Mentored youth program requires the adult to carry the weapon and be responsible for it the entire time. The youth is only allowed to point and fire the weapon at game or intended target. We have 470 acres to hunt on in one area and another 80 acres at home. So I don't have to worry about too many yahoos, only the occassional trespasser in rifle season. I'd much rather have them out hunting now at this age, and with crossbow laws the way they are now in PA its pretty much a no brainer. The kids can come out and hunt in nice weather in the early part of the season and also get to experience some of the prerut. Big difference in getting to enjoy hunting and being in the woods in archery season than having to deal with the orange army in rifle season.

Sorry, but facts don’t barethat out. Hunting is way down the list in sport injuries, even by the youth..

http://www.nwtf.org/images/Youth_Hunting_Report.pdf

Finding #6: Youth Hunters Are Safe Hunters

Experienced hunters know that hunting is a safe activity but most are diligent in their
    efforts to make it even safer. All 50 states and all Canadian provinces offer hunter
    safety education programs. Nearly 70,000 adults volunteer time to help agencies teach
    basic and advanced courses. The National Shooting Sports Foundation reports that
    hunting related shooting incidents have declined by 31 percent in the last 10 years.
    Youth hunters are also safe. In 2002, with 1.7 million young hunters spending more
    than 15.3 million days in the field, there were 77 hunting related shooting incidents
    reported.

This information is backed up by comments returned to Timothy J. Lawhern, the Hunter
    Education Administrator with the Bureau of Law Enforcement, Wisconsin Department of
    Natural Resources. Lawhern surveyed state wildlife agencies about youth hunting ages
    and found that thirty-five states permitted some hunting before age twelve. Thirty-four
    of the thirty-five agencies responded that they had no safety concerns.

Supervised youth hunters have a remarkable safety record.

Further analysis of youth hunting shooting incidents shows that the major factor
    affecting youth hunting safety is the presence of an attentive, responsible adult
    hunter to supervise youth. Most of the 2002 incidents happened in the absence
    of an adult supervisor, or during a lapse in the adult supervision. With 1.7 million
    young hunters spending more than 15 million days in the field, the number of
    hunting related shooting incidents dropped from 77 to 20 when the hunter was
    supervised.

HOWEVER... this thread is NOT about youth hunter safety. It is about what the OP should buy for his son, who he has determined will be a safe hunter.

Lee, I have a very nice Middleton 330 in kryptek highlander pattern that I might let go. It's a very nice lightweight crossbow. Send me a pm if you'd be interested in more info or to purchase.

I don't know what your budget is but if $ isn't an issue I'd take a hard look at the ten point shadow. It would make a great bow for you both. Well built, small and light. I love my recurves but they don't have an ADF or auto engage safety. My sons are older been shooting a while now but even for them I will likely get another ten point with an auto safety and ADF. The timing is bad right now
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

Just a thought since he is under adult supervision he might like a mission 320. My 6 yr. old grandson loves mine. He says it is a lot smoother than my excal just putting something extra out there. Good luck and God Bless Larry

Yea I would think the mission 320 or dagger would be a good choice.

Sometimes I swear I come from a different planet lol. I was hunting way before I was 6 with dad. And was hunting by myself and I mean by myself at 5 years old. And so was my buddy's at school.

But I guess now a days well times are just different. I had my kids hunting before they were 6. My hats off to you taking your son hunting at a early age.
    Just a down to earth Bowhunter.

Well, my budget is probably under $800 for everything with broadheads and extra arrows for a new one but I'd consider spending more. I looked at wicked ridge and I didn't see one with a short length of pull that would fit a youth.

Unfortunately, Lee, your choices are very limited. For some reason, the manufacturers and crossbow supporters talk a good game about the benefits of crossbows for kids and women during the crossbow debates, but do not make many crossbows designed for smaller framed shooters. The choices are almost endless in vertical bows and guns but this segment of our population is largely ignored in the crossbow world. I may seem harsh towards the manufactures but that is the reality of the situation.

I hate seeing young kids and smaller women shooting bows that are not even close to fitting them. That only encourages bad form and potentially poor shooting at the moment of truth.

I would opt for the Barnett Recruit over the Challenger but plan on putting on a decent scope. The factory is junk.

Nice thing about 10PT bows is the accudraw. Allows a youngster to cock the bow. Not sure if it's safe for a 6 year old though....I've never used one myself.

I thought the Parker Challenger was a good small compact bow for youth.

I like the idea about the Mission MXB320 or Dagger. Whats nice about those is the adjustable draw weight.

The Stryker Solution 350 would be a good option in that budget as well.
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Stryker Solution LS 390

The Parker challenger fits him great and only weighs 5.5 lb. It would be nice to have one with an adjustable stock that would grow with him and fit me when he can't go. Lol!

Edit- I see both of those Matthews mentioned above are adjustable might have to raise my price range.

this is insane......no one has told him to call Wavern yet............

this site is going in the toilet.....L.O.L.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Because its Wyvern.
    NRA Life Member

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
    - Alexis de Tocqueville (1835)

[quote=jhfoutz;1070423091]because its wyvern.[/

Pope and Young Club Associate Member
    Massachusetts Bowhunters Association life Member
    G5 Rogue / SZ 350 / DTM 315SS / DTM-MATRIX 330SS Hybrid / Ready- Shot Shooting Stick

Lee, Like RT2 said, I would look into the Mission Dagger.
    Pope and Young Club Associate Member
    Massachusetts Bowhunters Association life Member
    G5 Rogue / SZ 350 / DTM 315SS / DTM-MATRIX 330SS Hybrid / Ready- Shot Shooting Stick

The mission 320 should be in your range and it comes with a case. Arrows $8-$10 ea. If you go that route pm me and I can help you with a scope. I have a 6yr old grand son to, but I'm not sure he is ready for the shooting part of hunting. I started him with a vert bow but he seems to be pretty weak and no way he can hunt with a vert bow. Its hard to drag most kids away from their video games.
    MXB 320
    MXB 360
    Matrix 355
    Optimizers, Nikon Bolt
    Living The Dream

I called my local dealer today and they have the mission 320 in stock. So ill take my son by there and see if it fits him. The dealer still talked highly on the Parker, he said there service is great if you ever have an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast