Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crossbow choices for my son

The mission can have it's draw weight adjusted by turning out the limb blots. Having had two Parkers in addition to my Mission, latter is much better bow.

Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

A good friend's 7 year old son uses a Parker Challanger. The thing I like about it is that the stock is proportioned to a smaller hunter. IMHO there is more to getting into a "childs" bow than just a lighter draw. Get him out & shoot as many bows you can. Getting a bow that fits is very high on my list of priorities. Good luck with your quest & congrats on getting your son out in the field with you! Hunting with your family will be your greatest trophy!!

Lee, I also live in Chesapeake. Have you gone out to Newport News and talket to Tom at Wilcox Bait & Tackle. Its on Jeffeson avenue about a mile north of Mercury Blvd. He will really help your boy get fitted with the right equipment! If he is the one you are dealing with already then listen to what he says because he will back everything up!!

Quote Originally Posted by BowMack72 View Post
    Lee, I also live in Chesapeake. Have you gone out to Newport News and talket to Tom at Wilcox Bait & Tackle. Its on Jeffeson avenue about a mile north of Mercury Blvd. He will really help your boy get fitted with the right equipment! If he is the one you are dealing with already then listen to what he says because he will back everything up!!
    Yeah that's where I went. We are going back this weekend to check out the mission 320.

Went back the to the store today. The mission 320 is way to big and heavy for a kid, the length of pull won't adjust in enough for a child. I think I'm going with the Parker challenger.

Quote Originally Posted by BowMack72 View Post
    Tommy is good people! I've always enjoyed dealing with him
    Micro 335
    Hawke XB30
    Matrix 380
    Hawke XB30 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LEE IN VA. View Post
    Went back the to the store today. The mission 320 is way to big and heavy for a kid, the length of pull won't adjust in enough for a child. I think I'm going with the Parker challenger.
    Yep. The fact is choices for kids and smaller framed women shooters are far a few between. The manufacturers say that there is no market. Bologna! We all talk a good game when it comes to women and children during the crossbow debates, then ignore them after inclusion passes.

Quote Originally Posted by rt2bowhunter View Post
    Yea I would think the mission 320 or dagger would be a good choice.

Sometimes I swear I come from a different planet lol. I was hunting way before I was 6 with dad. And was hunting by myself and I mean by myself at 5 years old. And so was my buddy's at school.

But I guess now a days well times are just different. I had my kids hunting before they were 6. My hats off to you taking your son hunting at a early age.
    I remember ... sneaking out before my parents woke up, in my pajamas, with my ole man's Daisy BB gun, to shoot birds in the back yard ... years before I was sent off to kindergarten. Had to be 5 or younger.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

I have a Barnett recruit as a back up to my titan extreme, very. very light, pretty fast and small and compact, how long will it last? Couldn't tell you, but I have seen pretty good reviews on it when I bought it so for 211.00 I took a chance. That is the smallest lightest bow I have handled to date, having said that, id go mission if he can handle it. But take a look at the recruit, it was made for smaller people.

What broadheads would some of you recommend to use with the challenger?

STS

slick trick standards...

Quote Originally Posted by LEE IN VA. View Post
    What broadheads would some of you recommend to use with the challenger?
    Parkers love G5 Strikers. I would start there if you are into fixed blades.

I gave my son the crossbow today for his birthday. Once I got it sighted in got at 15 yds. I let him shoot, his first two arrows touched, I mean no space in between. So I immediately moved it out to 25 yds. before we tore up some arrows. Our youth day here is in two months so we got plenty of time to practice.

Lee,

Glad to have you on here and welcome to Crossbowtalk! I'm also glad to see a fellow Virginian teaching our youth hunting, they are indeed our future! In your spare time call David at http://www.wyverncreations.com/ 603-659-0575. He will give you very sound advise on what would be appropriate for your son. He will take the time to answer your questions in detail as well.

The guys have you pointed in the right direction above as well. Some good advise here.

Eric
    Nock down - Drag out!
    Obsession Phoenix, Sword Twilight Hunter, QAD HDX, GT5595
    Strykezone 350, XB30 compact, DCA 20" arrows
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Hawke 1.5x5x32 SR, BEE 22" w/Q nocks
    Show up on time, do your best, don't grumble about the outcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12