Archery Talk Forum banner

crossbow choices for my son

2K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Virginian 
#1 ·
My first post here. My son is 6 and I'm considering a crossbow for him for deer hunting. We went to a shop this weekend and he shot a Parker Challenger. I've been seeing mixed reviews on them and am wanting some more choices.

#2 ·
MAYBE a Excalibur matrix 330 would be a good choice, or a Barnett recruit.

A crossbow might be a little dangerous for a 6 year old ..as far as loosing a hand goes.....?

Definelty will need constant adult supervision

#9 ·
I'm all for taking your kids out but putting a weapon in a 6 year olds hands I think to young that's why I gave up gun hunting as soon as I heard youth mentor in my state I have been almost shot twice by adult idiots I'm sure you will have them and there kids learning off them. Would get back into gun when my kids are old enough but with this I don't think I would feel my kids safe in the woods with others that young in the woods.

#10 ·
Mentored youth program requires the adult to carry the weapon and be responsible for it the entire time. The youth is only allowed to point and fire the weapon at game or intended target. We have 470 acres to hunt on in one area and another 80 acres at home. So I don't have to worry about too many yahoos, only the occassional trespasser in rifle season. I'd much rather have them out hunting now at this age, and with crossbow laws the way they are now in PA its pretty much a no brainer. The kids can come out and hunt in nice weather in the early part of the season and also get to experience some of the prerut. Big difference in getting to enjoy hunting and being in the woods in archery season than having to deal with the orange army in rifle season.

#13 ·
I don't know what your budget is but if $ isn't an issue I'd take a hard look at the ten point shadow. It would make a great bow for you both. Well built, small and light. I love my recurves but they don't have an ADF or auto engage safety. My sons are older been shooting a while now but even for them I will likely get another ten point with an auto safety and ADF. The timing is bad right now

#15 ·
Yea I would think the mission 320 or dagger would be a good choice.

Sometimes I swear I come from a different planet lol. I was hunting way before I was 6 with dad. And was hunting by myself and I mean by myself at 5 years old. And so was my buddy's at school.

But I guess now a days well times are just different. I had my kids hunting before they were 6. My hats off to you taking your son hunting at a early age.

#34 ·
I remember ... sneaking out before my parents woke up, in my pajamas, with my ole man's Daisy BB gun, to shoot birds in the back yard ... years before I was sent off to kindergarten. Had to be 5 or younger.

#17 ·
Unfortunately, Lee, your choices are very limited. For some reason, the manufacturers and crossbow supporters talk a good game about the benefits of crossbows for kids and women during the crossbow debates, but do not make many crossbows designed for smaller framed shooters. The choices are almost endless in vertical bows and guns but this segment of our population is largely ignored in the crossbow world. I may seem harsh towards the manufactures but that is the reality of the situation.

I hate seeing young kids and smaller women shooting bows that are not even close to fitting them. That only encourages bad form and potentially poor shooting at the moment of truth.

I would opt for the Barnett Recruit over the Challenger but plan on putting on a decent scope. The factory is junk.

#18 ·
Nice thing about 10PT bows is the accudraw. Allows a youngster to cock the bow. Not sure if it's safe for a 6 year old though....I've never used one myself.

I thought the Parker Challenger was a good small compact bow for youth.

I like the idea about the Mission MXB320 or Dagger. Whats nice about those is the adjustable draw weight.

The Stryker Solution 350 would be a good option in that budget as well.

#19 ·
The Parker challenger fits him great and only weighs 5.5 lb. It would be nice to have one with an adjustable stock that would grow with him and fit me when he can't go. Lol!

Edit- I see both of those Matthews mentioned above are adjustable might have to raise my price range.

#20 ·
this is insane......no one has told him to call Wavern yet............:jeez:

this site is going in the toilet.....L.O.L.

#24 ·
The mission 320 should be in your range and it comes with a case. Arrows $8-$10 ea. If you go that route pm me and I can help you with a scope. I have a 6yr old grand son to, but I'm not sure he is ready for the shooting part of hunting. I started him with a vert bow but he seems to be pretty weak and no way he can hunt with a vert bow. Its hard to drag most kids away from their video games.

#27 ·
A good friend's 7 year old son uses a Parker Challanger. The thing I like about it is that the stock is proportioned to a smaller hunter. IMHO there is more to getting into a "childs" bow than just a lighter draw. Get him out & shoot as many bows you can. Getting a bow that fits is very high on my list of priorities. Good luck with your quest & congrats on getting your son out in the field with you! Hunting with your family will be your greatest trophy!!

#29 ·
Lee, I also live in Chesapeake. Have you gone out to Newport News and talket to Tom at Wilcox Bait & Tackle. Its on Jeffeson avenue about a mile north of Mercury Blvd. He will really help your boy get fitted with the right equipment! If he is the one you are dealing with already then listen to what he says because he will back everything up!!

#33 ·
Yep. The fact is choices for kids and smaller framed women shooters are far a few between. The manufacturers say that there is no market. Bologna! We all talk a good game when it comes to women and children during the crossbow debates, then ignore them after inclusion passes.

#35 ·
I have a Barnett recruit as a back up to my titan extreme, very. very light, pretty fast and small and compact, how long will it last? Couldn't tell you, but I have seen pretty good reviews on it when I bought it so for 211.00 I took a chance. That is the smallest lightest bow I have handled to date, having said that, id go mission if he can handle it. But take a look at the recruit, it was made for smaller people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.