a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Shooting after working out.

Shooting after working out.

Just curious as to how many people like to shoot their bows after they get done working out? I am a big fan of Cam and I started doing it after I saw him do it on his youtube channel. I thought it was stupid, but after I began shooting post workout I noticed a lot more consistency and accuracy at 3d shoots. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar effect.
    MR7, Boss Hogg, Tru Ball, Dead Center Archery
    Scheels Archery Team

Before I go to a 3d shoot I hit the gym for a LIGHT workout with a little cardio, I set my workout schedule accordingly. After a full hard workout I'm usually destroyed, there is no hope for shooting well after that.

It depends of how i lifted. If i did any pressing movements then i shoot bad but if i dont do any pressing movements then im ok
    "Put your time in"

I agree, I shoot after every workout, or at least try to. I feel its a good simulation of having to aim at an animal in the stand in terms of excitement.
    Scheels Archery Team

I have been shooting on a turf rugby field so I do sprints while shooting to get an elevated heart rate. Haven't been doing it long so i cannot attest to the effectiveness but I know that I tend to focus more on the basics when things out of my control are at play.
    2009 Martin Cheetah 70#
    Spot-Hogg Tommy Hogg
    GT Hunter XT w/ Something Sharp and Ever-Changing out Front.
    Drew First Blood: Thanksgiving 2012

I don't shoot after working out my back. Your body is tired and you will simply be reinforcing bad habits. Any other exercise though, yea I've done it. But when I feel myself tiring out, I usually stop.

I couldn't do it. In most cases my upper body workouts are full CNS and I've got the shakes after.
    Maybe after cardio though.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30

I shoot crappy after I lift. When I shot in a league I had to rearrange my workout schedule around what nights we shot.

i mainly run, swim, and do core workouts, so after i workout, i love to shoot, my body is much less stiff and i feel more relaxed..and it can increase your endurance while shooting after working out
    Greatree Highlander recurve
    Browning Ted Nugent Bloodbrother bow

My accuracy sucks after a workout. I can shoot after I work out my lower body, but not upper. I usually try to shoot right before I work out and it's kind of like a warm up for me.

I'm lucky if I can make lunch after a workout. But shooting after a workout or at least with your heart rate up isn't a bad idea. I was amazed the first time we did a stress shoot in the army. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Depends, after cardio, no problem, but after an upper body workout...the is no way.

I don't think I could do it after legs either, I can usually barely walk.

If you can shoot accurately after a workout I think you might want to step up your routine.
    Elite Judge
    Elite Z28

Quote Originally Posted by dead_fowl View Post
    Depends, after cardio, no problem, but after an upper body workout...the is no way.

I don't think I could do it after legs either, I can usually barely walk.

If you can shoot accurately after a workout I think you might want to step up your routine.
    not necessarily, some peoples minds and bodies are wired differently, when i use to lift heavy heavy weights i would shoot amazing, mainly because the bow felt like it weighed 1 ounce..and could control the bow flawlessly, even though my arms felt like gumby i still could shoot great

Quote Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
    not necessarily, some peoples minds and bodies are wired differently, when i use to lift heavy heavy weights i would shoot amazing, mainly because the bow felt like it weighed 1 ounce..and could control the bow flawlessly, even though my arms felt like gumby i still could shoot great
    I dont know man, I know that I would try to do swim after a big upper body workout. I couldn't push myself out of the pool because my triceps were dead. Im guessing when you do upper body you're not going to the limit of others? There seriously becomes a point when no matter how light the weight is, it's falling on my chest. I hear it is bad to push myself there everytime though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopayne View Post
    I dont know man, I know that I would try to do swim after a big upper body workout. I couldn't push myself out of the pool because my triceps were dead. Im guessing when you do upper body you're not going to the limit of others? There seriously becomes a point when no matter how light the weight is, it's falling on my chest. I hear it is bad to push myself there everytime though.
    yeah when i lifted heavy weights last year i would go hardcore....heavy heavy weights, and lots of reps, and would also do cardio and plenty of ab workouts, then go home and shoot at night, because i have a huge light in my backyard..i do not lift heavy weights anymore, id come to realize im strong enough, ive lifted enough weights from being in football, college baseball, and pro baseball, and also college golf that im strictly a swimmer, runner, ab workouts, push ups, pull ups and ect...no iron for me...too many injuries from sports to maintain that cutness, and im basically sick of it

Quote Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
    yeah when i lifted heavy weights last year i would go hardcore....heavy heavy weights, and lots of reps, and would also do cardio and plenty of ab workouts, then go home and shoot at night, because i have a huge light in my backyard..i do not lift heavy weights anymore, id come to realize im strong enough, ive lifted enough weights from being in football, college baseball, and pro baseball, and also college golf that im strictly a swimmer, runner, ab workouts, push ups, pull ups and ect...no iron for me...too many injuries from sports to maintain that cutness, and im basically sick of it
    Yea, im goign to try to bulk up a bit, get to 225 incline press x 9 and ill be happy, I got up to 215 about 3x with no spotter last year. Not looking to become a massive beast, too much money to sink into that and more chance of injury. Im trying to be more of an all arounder and not just one big good looking hunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopayne View Post
    Yea, im goign to try to bulk up a bit, get to 225 incline press x 9 and ill be happy, I got up to 215 about 3x with no spotter last year. Not looking to become a massive beast, too much money to sink into that and more chance of injury. Im trying to be more of an all arounder and not just one big good looking hunk.
    hahahaha i gotcha

I used to do it some when I shot wheels, but with trad gear it's pretty tough after a hard workout.
    Black Widow PSA
    Easton XX75 2219
    Simmons Treesharks

I have no problem shooting after I lift. Its just a matter of pushing your self through it. I work out incredibly hard. But I also recover very fast, I always have. I played high school and collegiate football, I could play a game and then go and workout when I was done because I didnt feel tired. It sounds weird, I know.
    Scheels Archery Team

Quote Originally Posted by BirdDawg350 View Post
    I have no problem shooting after I lift. Its just a matter of pushing your self through it. I work out incredibly hard. But I also recover very fast, I always have. I played high school and collegiate football, I could play a game and then go and workout when I was done because I didnt feel tired. It sounds weird, I know.
    To me it's not about being tired. It's about muscle failure when I draw back the bow after doing a back or chest workout.