Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Ok absolute for hunting!!

  1. #1

    Ok absolute for hunting!!

    So I had some good feedback from my other threads on ok bows so I thought I would share my next venture with ok archery. As most lefties that shoot ok bows know the ok smoke is not available in left hand BUT after tinkering a bit I've decided it's not a big deal. Why? because we have the absolute. A 37 1/2" axle to axle 7 1/2" brace height 315 ibo in a bow that's only 3.8 pounds ... Sounds like a dream hunting bow to me. I have a bit of hunting experience as I grew up hunting white tail out of a tree stand and was an alaska big game professional hunting guide for a better part of my life guiding hunters on species from kodiak brown bear to dall sheep to giant alaska/yukon moose. I seen all the setups for bows for hunting from the shorties for tree stands to longbows. My personal preference has always been accuracy above all else. I've
    pretty much hunted with target bows for the last ten years so the absolute is to me a logical choice as it is a balance of speed, light weight and arguably one of the most accurate on the market today.



  2. #2
    I'm gonna share my setup on my bow and hopefully get to share some pics from my two upcoming archery hunts, a moose hunt and a caribou hunt which I will be using my absolute.

    My bow of choice

    Turquose ok absolute small cam
    27 7/8 draw length
    68 pounds at approx 65% let off





    Arrows.. Not picked yet but likely to be easton axis

    Stabilizer, honestly don't know who made it. It's a little 12"

    Sight.. Spot hogg 5 pin hogg it

    Rest.. Not sure but might just leave a blade on

    Broadhead ... Undecided but may shoot an expandable this year

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    saskatchewan,canada
    Posts
    584
    You won't be the only one hunting with an ok target bow.I will be hunting with my dst36 this fall.
    Ok archery.dst36. Xpedition xcentric.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by saskhic View Post
    You won't be the only one hunting with an ok target bow.I will be hunting with my dst36 this fall.

    Awesome!! I hope to hear some stories..

  5. #5
    I've been trying to tune my OK Archery Smoke so I can shoot fixed blade broadheads, NAP Hellrazors, for elk. . I can get bareshafts shooting pretty good at 20 yds but when I try to shoot a broadhead it seems to corkscrew towards the target. I was using the short vanetech vanes to clear the cables without using spreaders, but I have put the spreaders back on and will try the setup with Blazer vanes to see if that helps. Getting frustrated at this point, so I hope you have better luck with your setup, looking forward to the writeup.
    Shutup and Shoot!

  6. #6
    Have you tried AAE MAX or FlexFletch shieldcuts, these both are low profile vanes, and I have these on my indoor larger OD target shafts and no clearance issues at all. Also a helical fletching is a best steering you can put on your arrows.
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dave-madden View Post
    I'm gonna share my setup on my bow and hopefully get to share some pics from my two upcoming archery hunts, a moose hunt and a caribou hunt which I will be using my absolute.

    My bow of choice

    Turquose ok absolute small cam
    27 7/8 draw length
    68 pounds at approx 65% let off





    Arrows.. Not picked yet but likely to be easton axis

    Stabilizer, honestly don't know who made it. It's a little 12"

    Sight.. Spot hogg 5 pin hogg it

    Rest.. Not sure but might just leave a blade on

    Broadhead ... Undecided but may shoot an expandable this year
    I see that your loop is turning left, that's the same for me and cant get rid of this left turning loop...any idea of what could do that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    saskatchewan,canada
    Posts
    584
    I'm going to try acc pro hunters and slick tricks.will let you know how they work.
    Ok archery.dst36. Xpedition xcentric.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgavilan View Post
    I've been trying to tune my OK Archery Smoke so I can shoot fixed blade broadheads, NAP Hellrazors, for elk. . I can get bareshafts shooting pretty good at 20 yds but when I try to shoot a broadhead it seems to corkscrew towards the target. I was using the short vanetech vanes to clear the cables without using spreaders, but I have put the spreaders back on and will try the setup with Blazer vanes to see if that helps. Getting frustrated at this point, so I hope you have better luck with your setup, looking forward to the writeup.
    How does your field points compare to broadheads?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by foudarme View Post
    I see that your loop is turning left, that's the same for me and cant get rid of this left turning loop...any idea of what could do that?
    That string has just been a pain. I have a new one coming from prestige archery. Hopefully it will fix

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Elgavilan<br />
    I've been trying to tune my OK Archery Smoke so I can shoot fixed blade broadheads, NAP Hellrazors, for elk. . I can get bareshafts shooting pretty good at 20 yds but when I try to shoot a broadhead it seems to corkscrew towards the target. I was using the short vanetech vanes to clear the cables without using spreaders, but I have put the spreaders back on and will try the setup with Blazer vanes to see if that helps. Getting frustrated at this point, so I hope you have better luck with your setup, looking forward to the writeup.
    <br />
    <br />
    How does your field points compare to broadheads?<br/>

    Field points fly great. . Spent a couple hours tuning and shooting the Smoke this morning and got the broadheads with the Blazer vanes flying pretty good, shot out to 40 yards and they stayed on the target this time. Just need to fine tune it some more.
    Shutup and Shoot!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgavilan View Post
    <br />
    <br />
    How does your field points compare to broadheads?<br/>

    Field points fly great. . Spent a couple hours tuning and shooting the Smoke this morning and got the broadheads with the Blazer vanes flying pretty good, shot out to 40 yards and they stayed on the target this time. Just need to fine tune it some more.
    Awesome keep us posted !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    saskatchewan,canada
    Posts
    584
    Dave will you be cutting your arrows so they stick out of the riser?
    Ok archery.dst36. Xpedition xcentric.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by saskhic View Post
    Dave will you be cutting your arrows so they stick out of the riser?

    Ha great question I was just thinking about that earlier today. I think I'm gonna keep them out side the riser at least to start with

  15. #15
    The same arrows CX nano XR450's I was using last year for tournaments with my DST40, this year I cut the length down about 1.8" still on the week side very slightly with my Absolute, at carbon length 26".
    I use the Beiter 4" overdraw rest, the arrow point is inside the riser opening right now about 1/2" in front of the launcher blade. If I would move the rest back I still have about 1" for overdraw, I could cut off an extra 1" from the carbon that would make the arrow 25" with a proper slightly stiffer spine and the point would be "inside" between the riser and the string.
    But again, these are my tournament arrows and flying just great as is at 26".... The CX XR410's got cut down to 27" from 28.8" and these are my practice arrows, for proper spine I shall go down to 26.2"
    The bow true DL is 27" and I have a 1" long d-loop at 56.3 lbs and 20.8 lbs holding weight, Absolute with medium cams.
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

  16. #16
    I have done a "funy" test with my absolute & broadheads...the fun part is that I shoot with her a 0.340 ACC arrow & 100gr field point at 60#@29.25 (best bare shat setup)...so I have taken a 0.250 spined vap (orange nock and firenock outsert) and a 0.300 vap (green nock and deep six insert) of approximately the same length that my usual ACC arrow and put 2 different broadheads on them (a 100gr qad exodus on the vap 0.300 and a 125gr vpa bh on the 0.250 arrow) and shot both of them twice at 30 meters using my 18 meters pin...the result is on the picture: in spite of some very poor and inapropriate dynamic spines, in spite of broadheads points, in spite of inapropriate nocking height (cause the vap diameter is much smaller than the vap one) and because the bow has zero lean and a center shot rest, I have got no lateral deficient spined flyers...the drop is only the result of trajectory, pin and nocking heights...the yellow little thing is the target


  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by foudarme View Post
    I have done a "funy" test with my absolute & broadheads...the fun part is that I shoot with her a 0.340 ACC arrow & 100gr field point at 60#@29.25 (best bare shat setup)...so I have taken a 0.250 spined vap (orange nock and firenock outsert) and a 0.300 vap (green nock and deep six insert) of approximately the same length that my usual ACC arrow and put 2 different broadheads on them (a 100gr qad exodus on the vap 0.300 and a 125gr vpa bh on the 0.250 arrow) and shot both of them twice at 30 meters using my 18 meters pin...the result is on the picture: in spite of some very poor and inapropriate dynamic spines, in spite of broadheads points, in spite of inapropriate nocking height (cause the vap diameter is much smaller than the vap one) and because the bow has zero lean and a center shot rest, I have got no lateral deficient spined flyers...the drop is only the result of trajectory, pin and nocking heights...the yellow little thing is the target
    Very interesting. I have so far found simar results. I went from a tuned x10 to 2315 aluminum with fixed broadheads

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bigHUN View Post
    The same arrows CX nano XR450's I was using last year for tournaments with my DST40, this year I cut the length down about 1.8" still on the week side very slightly with my Absolute, at carbon length 26".
    I use the Beiter 4" overdraw rest, the arrow point is inside the riser opening right now about 1/2" in front of the launcher blade. If I would move the rest back I still have about 1" for overdraw, I could cut off an extra 1" from the carbon that would make the arrow 25" with a proper slightly stiffer spine and the point would be "inside" between the riser and the string.
    But again, these are my tournament arrows and flying just great as is at 26".... The CX XR410's got cut down to 27" from 28.8" and these are my practice arrows, for proper spine I shall go down to 26.2"
    The bow true DL is 27" and I have a 1" long d-loop at 56.3 lbs and 20.8 lbs holding weight, Absolute with medium cams.

    BigHUN this really interests me. Why do you think so much different. Did you make any other major changes that affected spine or do you think your absolute likes stiffer arrows.
    I've always seem to end up with weaker spines but my absolute so far seem to like stiffer but I have more testing to do. Another time though I gotta stop playing and start practicing. Gonna shoot a state 3d. First one since I stopped shooting years ago.

  19. #19
    A stiffer shaft is no problem for compounds - better to stiff than to weak. I have made a comparisson between weak and stiff shaft. Therefore I have build to arrows, 400 and 500 spine, same length, same bow, weight 315 and 300 grains for the weak shaft. The stiff one was 10 fps faster. The reason is easy, the weak shaft bends more and looses so a lot of energy when the bow accelarates the arrow.

    On my Absolute I shoot arrows with a 300 spine for 3D and field, because I like a more heavy weight arrow. No problem with speed, 297fps for 3D(360 grain at 62.4#) and 278fps for field(400 grain at 59.8#).
    Every landing you walk away, is a good landing.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by northshorewolf View Post
    A stiffer shaft is no problem for compounds - better to stiff than to weak. I have made a comparisson between weak and stiff shaft. Therefore I have build to arrows, 400 and 500 spine, same length, same bow, weight 315 and 300 grains for the weak shaft. The stiff one was 10 fps faster. The reason is easy, the weak shaft bends more and looses so a lot of energy when the bow accelarates the arrow.

    On my Absolute I shoot arrows with a 300 spine for 3D and field, because I like a more heavy weight arrow. No problem with speed, 297fps for 3D(360 grain at 62.4#) and 278fps for field(400 grain at 59.8#).
    Thanks wolf. Great info for sure. I ve never really had a problem with too stiff of an arrow. Usually I group shoot and pick the best ones regardless of spine.. . Within reason of course. The speed findings sure is interesting but makes perfect sense.
    I'm more intrigued in the difference between bigHUNs findings from his 40 to his 38 considering bows are very similar.
    Did you find similar findings when you switched.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by northshorewolf View Post
    A stiffer shaft is no problem for compounds - better to stiff than to weak. I have made a comparisson between weak and stiff shaft. Therefore I have build to arrows, 400 and 500 spine, same length, same bow, weight 315 and 300 grains for the weak shaft. The stiff one was 10 fps faster. The reason is easy, the weak shaft bends more and looses so a lot of energy when the bow accelarates the arrow.

    On my Absolute I shoot arrows with a 300 spine for 3D and field, because I like a more heavy weight arrow. No problem with speed, 297fps for 3D(360 grain at 62.4#) and 278fps for field(400 grain at 59.8#).
    a few years ago I had done same testing with my destroyer 350...same results: -12fps at the exact same arrow weight for the too weak shaft...stiffer is not a problem , weaker is another story...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    48
    I would guess the 38 is more efficient than the 40 (everything being equal: DL, DW, cam size, etc) because of its symmetry (arrow is accelerated in the true geometric center of the bow). More of the stored energy is transferred to the arrow. A "normally" spined arrow then flexes too much. A stiffer arrow can handle the extra energy and recover faster. Any archer induced "errors" (torque, high/low grip pressure, etc.) are possibly not amplified as much and thus the better grouping?
    '13 DST40; Victory VAP V1
    '06 UltraElite;'09 VantageElite both with Spirals and Custom Shoot Through Cables; ProTours

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by dave-madden View Post
    Thanks wolf. Great info for sure. I ve never really had a problem with too stiff of an arrow. Usually I group shoot and pick the best ones regardless of spine.. . Within reason of course. The speed findings sure is interesting but makes perfect sense.
    I'm more intrigued in the difference between bigHUNs findings from his 40 to his 38 considering bows are very similar.
    Did you find similar findings when you switched.
    Hm, the DST40 and the ABSOLUTE 38 are to different bows, with a clear difference in shooting. Why? OK Archery has build in another geometry with the ABSOLUTE38. Berger-Holes, shelf and grip are lowered, so you can shoot the arrow absolutely through the middle of the bow. This opens a wide range in arrow-choice with a perfect flight plane every time and easy to tune. On the other hand you have a difference in balance, when you compare the ABS to the DST40. During the drawcycle it is possible that the upper cam leans towards you, for a short moment, until you reach full draw - then the balance is perfect.

    I am sure, the ABS is very forgiving according the choice or building of arrows. But, the DST40 is a little bit more forgiving in shooting - to my experience. The ABSOLUTE shoots dead-center, stands solid at the target, but beware of huge mistakes! Important: you will need some weeks to explore the potentials of the ABSOLUTE, don't give up if something does not work immediately.

    I have never used the ABS with broadheads, I should do so, will be interesting?!?
    Every landing you walk away, is a good landing.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by northshorewolf View Post
    Hm, the DST40 and the ABSOLUTE 38 are to different bows, with a clear difference in shooting. Why? OK Archery has build in another geometry with the ABSOLUTE38. Berger-Holes, shelf and grip are lowered, so you can shoot the arrow absolutely through the middle of the bow. This opens a wide range in arrow-choice with a perfect flight plane every time and easy to tune. On the other hand you have a difference in balance, when you compare the ABS to the DST40. During the drawcycle it is possible that the upper cam leans towards you, for a short moment, until you reach full draw - then the balance is perfect.

    I am sure, the ABS is very forgiving according the choice or building of arrows. But, the DST40 is a little bit more forgiving in shooting - to my experience. The ABSOLUTE shoots dead-center, stands solid at the target, but beware of huge mistakes! Important: you will need some weeks to explore the potentials of the ABSOLUTE, don't give up if something does not work immediately.

    I have never used the ABS with broadheads, I should do so, will be interesting?!?
    Don't take it the wrong way. Trust me I know all about the changes,I've spent countless hours going over the changes and am highly impressed to say the least. When I said similar it is because we have two bows with the same draw length(or close) same pounds(or close), same letoff(or close), same cams. So if one were to pick an arrow from a shaft selector one would be led to believe the same spined arrow would be the proper choice for both bows yet,as proven,design has a lot to do with it as well. My point I was making was only to show the importance letting the bow pick the arrow regardless of charts, again within reason. To me the absolute has been the finest bow I've ever shot in my 35 years of shooting and hunting with bows. I don't believe I will have any issues with whatever broad head I choose
    I've shot some aluminum with fixed muzzys and they shoot great with very little effort..

  25. #25
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try easton axis but I'm looking for some other suggestions. I'm looking for balance of weight and durability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •