Archery Talk Forum banner

Brand New Amateur

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bbjavelina 
#1 ·
So today I went down to buy a Bowtech Fuel for my son and I. Neither of us have ever held a bow, much less fired one. I was in love and so was my 9 year old. The nice thing is it can be adjusted on the fly so we both can use it. We're just finding something to do together, won't actually hunt probably. I would have got it today, but I was paying so much attention to make sure he didn't break it, I dry fired it accidentally. I found out very soon that THAT is a bad move...$110 later. Much to my chagrin. So now I have to wait until a couple parts can come in and he can repair it.

I'm not a big fan of the sights on it, and am used to customizing what I buy. Are the sights worth customizing, and if so, where do I find higher end materials to swap out?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Congrats on the new Fuel(s)! Sorry to hear about the dry fire though.
I think everything on the bow is worth customizing... everything you can put on your bow can and will change how you shoot it. There are a TON of products out there that not only customize to make it yours... but customize to make it better. Your shop should be able to hook you up with some higher end stuff. You dont HAVE TO get the bow RAK equipped. Most shops will be more than happy to set you up with your own custom package that could run you about the same cost out the door, or more, depending on what you like/want.
Welcome to Archery and AT! They both get addicting REAL quick!
Have fun!

#4 ·
I was going try buying higher end stuff from the forum, but everything is greek to me, as I'm just getting started. I don't want to get it in a couple days and then have to replace parts when I learn a little something. I'll check out the classifieds, but it's hard for me to know what fits on the Fire and what doesn't! Or what's better or merely different.

#6 ·
Rest would be the first thing I'd replace, get a drop away, then sights and stab. Sights aren't bad but you can buy better. support your pro shop and buy From them, you will build a great relationship and learn a bunch as well.

#7 ·
Get a "Drop away?" "Stab?" Got the sights part, but I'm lost on the other. My local shop is the BowTech showroom, but I haven't figured out if they sell anything else besides BowTech. Oh, the rest? I need a manual that states what every part is called. I can't believe I'm buying a $500 bow without knowing what each piece is and does. I think I spoil my child.

#8 ·
Drop away rest. Google qad hdx, limb driver pro v, ripcord sos. These will result in better accuracy than the rest on it. A stabilizer screws in the front of the riser, they dampen and stabilize your shot makinging it easier to hold steady especially at longer distances. They range from 6" to 30+" that target archers use. Typically hunters will buy 8"/10"/12" stabilizer, there are tons of brands. Get familiar and comfortable with your bow first, it's a great bow, and will do what you need. You can upgrade anything later if you see a need.

#10 ·
What kind of draw length and draw weight does your boy have?. I'm buying on for my sons 9th birthday this weekend. Looked at the quest radical and he liked it... But going to shoot the fuel Aldo before we decide. He did struggle a little to draw at 18#, and he's tall and has 22" draw already. Haha. Just trying yo figure out the lowest draw weight for his draw length

#12 ·
I sent you a pm, I have everything you need listed in the classifieds right now and I will give you a great price on it so that you and your son can enjoy your new bow. Welcome to the world of archery and to AT

#14 ·
welcome to the sport. as for updates on that bow. a good drop away rest is a start. i prefer the limbdriver but alot like the qad. as for a sight uprade
look for a spot hogg. i have had mine for over 10 years, alot of bows come and gone but the hogg-it is still around. a good quality stabi is also nice to have.
allot of companies to chose from, try maybe b-stinger or doinker. also a good release is nice to have. there alot of good deals right here on a.t. and alot safer than
that e-bay scam. i have had nothing but positive deals on here allot of good people.

#15 ·
Google nap apache also , very easy rest to set up , half the price of the qad and you won't spend weeks tearing your hair out,wondering why you have fetching contact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.