Archery Talk Forum banner

Guess the age of this buck?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  25ft-up 
#1 ·
This will be my first full season bowhunting. I own 5 acres in Northeast Alabama. The land is a natural funnel from one patch of woods to another. There are 5 oak trees(4 water oaks and a big white oak), wild blackberries, a persimmon tree, and a natural spring fed creek running across the property. Deer have been crossing the land for decades. I've been dumping corn neer the trails and game camera, and I will plant a food plot very soon. These are the first pictures from my game camera taken last week. Like I said I am brand new, and I would like to estimate the age of this small buck in the picture. Also If anyone has any suggestions for developing the land, please feel free. Any help would be appreciated.
Nature Wildlife Vegetation Atmospheric phenomenon Nature reserve

Wildlife Photograph Vegetation Deer Nature reserve

Wildlife Nature reserve Deer Vegetation Terrestrial animal

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks young with skinny neck and face, but that can be very misleading this time of year. Watch him grow through the season, and you'll know if he's a shooter when you have your bow in hand. Sounds like a great little first hunting property.

#4 ·
Yeah. I thought he looked real young. He doesn't have that nice white patch on his neck either. Not sure if that is typical for the deer around here or if he will develop that later. 3 different does have been out there too. I hope this little guy doesn't turn out to be the best buck option. So far, no pics of any monsters yet.

#5 ·
Don't fall into the celebrity TV hunter BS of thinking you need to shoot a monster buck to be a successful bowhunter. The experience is about a lot more than talking about inches of antler, IMO.

#8 ·
Just a baby, don't get caught up in all that "monster" deer stuff....You add up all the deer that are killed each year nationwide and I grant you the number of "monsters" taken is very minute when compared to the total....Enjoy yourself and harvest what you want....That's what it's all about....Not "what'll he score"

#10 ·
Absolutely. My primary concern is putting meat in the freezer. I just saw his little buttons and got excited. It will be fun to watch them grow. Either way I'm gonna sling some arrows!

#12 ·
I wouldn't do anything to develop/alter the land if you already have a natural funnel and established trails. Deer like the undergrowth for cover and browse. Any alterations(including saturating the area with human scent) could spook and drive them to take alternate routes, especially any mature bucks. 5 acres isn't that much for them to side step. I'd just set up a stand on a well traveled trail, and do as little trimming as possible, then stay out of there until the season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.