2013 Pope and Young

Thread: 2013 Pope and Young

South Dakota

2013 Pope and Young

I was hunting a small food plot behind my house on December 15th. I've seen a few good deer but nothing more than "120. I figured that if hunted around food, the old bucks are gonna be moving to the food in the freezing temps. Right at sunlight i had 7 does, a spike, and a decent little 4 pointer in front of me. then about 30 minutes later i had a big 4x5 at 40 yards, but when i drew, a fawn i didn't see exploded from under me and all eyes were on me. the buck stayed until he realized his does were leaving, he left at a slow trot. i couldn't believe it, the biggest deer I've ever had an opportunity to harvest, just left from my property. I stayed until about noon until i went home to eat and check trail cam pics. Nowhere did i see the deer i saw earlier that morning. I decided i would sit on the same field that night and try to arrow that big buck. Not 30 minutes after i got in my blind deer started rolling in. I sat until almost dark, i was packing up my stuff when i saw him coming in. He stopped head down at 50 yards, i drew and let the arrow fly. I hit him in the liver and the back of a lung. i felt really good about the shot, but i still gave him about half an hour. I followed his blood trail about 100 yards. There he was a "131 gross Pope and Young buck.
    James Archery deer.jpgJames Archery deer.jpg
    Hips Archery Targets Pro Staff
    ProLine Bowstrings Pro Staff.
    Clearshot Archery Pro Staff.
    Diamond Core (hunting) Bowtech Brigadier (3D and Spots)

Corvallis, OR area