Thread: Looking to get into traditional!

New to Archery Talk!!

Hi there! I'm new to Archery Talk. I've been hunting since i was 6 years old. I made the switch from rifle to bow when i was 14, and now i'm looking to get into traditional now that I am the ripe age of 20 I'm thinking about trying a Hoyt Buffalo. Any thoughts?!

If you have the money, Hoyt is a good bow.
    Considering you are a novice, why not get a less expensive bow to learn on?
    Ragim makes several as does Samic.

http://www.ragim.org/
    http://www.oldbow.com/samick_archery_index.htm

As you develop your ability and strength, heavier limbs are not that expensive.
    After you reach a point where you know the poundage that is best for you... then you could purchase the higher end bow with confidence.

The Ragim Matrix can be purchased for just over 110 bucks new.

Just a suggestion.
    `````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````` ````````````````
    Human life has become cheap in our "enlightened" society. Liberalism has taught these kids that there's no difference in killing a one-year-old in a stroller and killing a ten WEEK old baby in the womb! These killers are not human - they are demons spawned in the cesspool of Progressive ideology.

The Buffalo is awfully expensive for what it is. It only takes Hoyt "formula" limbs and you can't even use a springy or a plunger. The Tiburon is better, but you're still stuck with the formula limbs. I put W&W Winex limbs on an old, modified Black Bear compound and it's a better bow for half the money.

Look at the TradTech Titan, or a DAS or Morrison if you're interested in a metal riser. Also, the Hoyt Excel 21" is popular for hunting.
    Last edited by Arrowwood; June 28th, 2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added the Excel

check samick sage and ragim red falk.

Just make sure you do not over bow yourself. Start with a lite bow.

I have a Hoyt Tiburon 55# if your interested. I moved out West here in Idaho and really havent had enough confidence and time to put into traditional shooting. Only has one scratch on it. Looks brand new otherwise.

Thank you for all the advise!! I'm looking into everything. I love DAS. My brother and father have both shot original DAS for years. But I think I am going ahead with the Buffalo. I can't help myself. I want to get what I want and get locked in before whitetail season. I've been strengthening my back muscles and trying to get prepared.

You should get the Black Widow you are shooting in your third picture. You can't go wrong with that. Also buy a draw weight that is comfortable to shoot. You can easily kill a deer with even a 40 lb bow, as you probably know accurate shots kill better than misses with to heavy a draw weight.

Toxaris- did you order the hoyt buffalo yet? Just curious, I also started shooting traditional

Good choice. Start slow and low. Build up to it.
    Praesto et Persto

Yes, I just got it in the mail a few days ago! It's 40lbs...and a 40lb recurve is very different from a 40lb compound! lol. I can draw it past my draw length about 15 times, but for the sake of keeping good shooting habits, i am not going to shoot it until i can comfortably draw 40 times past my draw length. However, excitement got the best of me and i shot an arrow out of it the other day and wow! What a nice, smooth shooting bow it seems to be. So far I am very happy with my purchase. Time will tell though!

The Hoyt trad bows are nice bows. Congrats on the purchase ! Ya might want to change the string in the future though, but for the meantime, practice, practice, practice and most importantly have fun ! ;0)

AJ

Thank you! Yes, I believe i am buying a BYC string.