Thread: Bear lights out

Bear lights out

Hello all, new member here from Putnam county NY. Just made an impulse buy and bought a used bear lights out set for 29" draw @ 70 lbs at a tag sale for 175. It appeared in great condition. with not really knowing what I was getting into, but knowing that I wanted to get a bow for a while now, I jumped at it. problem is now after getting it home and doing some internet research I found out that my draw setting should be more to a 27" and @60 lbs.

Can this bow be effectively dropped to a 27" draw?

I originally intended to use this bow with my daughter but now realizing she will not be able to pull a 60-70 lbs draw, I'll have to consider a recurve. Took this to a local sports store and they tried to lower the draw weight for her but I felt it was too unsafe and had them raise back to 60 lbs. when I got it home that night I found some scuff marks that I hadn't noticed before. Could have just missed it with an inexperienced eye when I was first looking it over.

I bought some arrows while at the large chain sports store but as I continue to read more about compound bows I see that they should be a specific weight. without finalizing the draw and weight I should I have not just purchased some cheap run of the mill arrows.

I won't have time throughout the week to get to the pro shop until next weekend but would like to have some idea what I'm getting into and what I should expect.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Yes it can but you need a module for it.
    Bear Anarchy 29" 70#, QAD HDX, TruGlo Tru-Site Extreme compact micro-adjust, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

You should be able to get a module to change the draw length, I may have one, and you can reduce the weight by backing out the limb bolts. Back them out one turn on a limb at a time, and don't turn them out too far.

Quote Originally Posted by rider01 View Post
    You should be able to get a module to change the draw length, I may have one, and you can reduce the weight by backing out the limb bolts. Back them out one turn on a limb at a time, and don't turn them out too far.
    You may have a module to donate? What does one usually cost or to install?

The sports store dropped the weight down to about 30 lbs but it just didn't seem right so I had them raise it back up to 60 lbs. I'd rather wait till I can make it to the pro shop instead of depending on some kid at a large retail chain.

Quote Originally Posted by jarellano119 View Post
    You may have a module to donate? What does one usually cost or to install?

The sports store dropped the weight down to about 30 lbs but it just didn't seem right so I had them raise it back up to 60 lbs. I'd rather wait till I can make it to the pro shop instead of depending on some kid at a large retail chain.
    Yeah don't let them do that again. They have a 10lb range. Really 15lbs can be done safely but no way 30lbs is okay. To change the module, it takes removing 2 screws and putting them back in with the new mod in place. Then you move the draw stop to the corresponding number. If you go to a Bear dealer, they'd probably do a straight swap with you.
    Bear Anarchy 29" 70#, QAD HDX, TruGlo Tru-Site Extreme compact micro-adjust, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/s...heryManual.pdf

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/s...cherySpecs.pdf

Being a 2008, you might need a bow press to change the draw module.

Quote Originally Posted by LVArcher View Post
    Nope, no press needed. Just the module and allen wrench.

I just purchased a used Bear Lights Out from a member on here over the weekend: zdogk9.

He had a few DL modules and he set mine to the 29" DL so I'm sure he has some others you might be able to get from him.

Thank all. I made to the pro shop today, told them what I wanted to do and they had me shoot a few arrows and determined that the draw length wasn't so bad and left it 29. Now im curious what 27 feels like, may change it regardless.

Thank all. I made to the pro shop today, told them what I wanted to do and they had me shoot a few arrows and determined that the draw length wasn't so bad and left it 29. Now im curious what 27 feels like, may change it regardless.
    Post a pic of yourself at full draw if you're curious. If you did some measurements and got 27" for your approximate DL, I would question the 29" DL being that accurate. Those bows typically draw a little long anyway so it's probably drawing long on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    Post a pic of yourself at full draw if you're curious. If you did some measurements and got 27" for your approximate DL, I would question the 29" DL being that accurate. Those bows typically draw a little long anyway so it's probably drawing long on top of that.

Hows this? Hope this has enough light.

Draw length looks fine.
    As for arrows,heres the rule of thumb to life by:

Take the bows draw weight,whatever you have it set to,and multiply that by 5.
    That is the MINIMUM weight in grains,that your finished (shaft,nock,fletching,insert and point) arrow should weigh to be safely fired.

Less than that could damage your bow...or you and others.

At 60lbs your finished arrow should weigh no less than 300 grains...and I prefer a bit more weight than that,just because heavier arrows penetrate better.

Hows this? Hope this has enough light.
    Really hard to tell from the pic. You can't see your body and the angle is off. Try again and try to get your whole body, head to toe as well as your back elbow and your grip hand all in the frame. Try to make it look something like this.

Travis-Craig.jpg