Archery Talk Forum banner

Martin Saber or ILF?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Bill 2311 
#1 ·
For hunting and general use should I go for a Martin Saber Takedown or should I make my own ILF setup?

#2 ·
Go ilf! You can get a bow that performs 10x as well for the same price! My favorite "cheap" bow is the tradtech pinnacle II with black max carbon limbs or thier wood/ glass limbs, its a lot of bow for the money. If money is an issue, look at a hoyt excel riser with axiom plus or tradtech wood/ glass limbs!

#3 ·
If I might put in a comment on the BlackMax limbs. I now have three sets- 40# carbons, 45# carbons, and 50# wood/glass. Their limbs are rated for a 17" riser. I have a 19" Titan III so they are expected to run a pound or two lighter.
I think for the money they are all great limbs. Just understand that there is some variation in the limbs. The carbons both run 2-3# heavier than marked. The 50# wood/glass run 4# lighter than marked. These are minimum setting poundage (three turns of the limb bolt off of when the bushing contacts the riser). If you order them from LAS, they can actually scale them for you and give you an idea of what they will draw on your riser.
Since I draw almost 29", I scaled them all at 28" and 29". The carbons gain 2# from 28" to 29" while the wood/glass gains 3# with the extra inch of draw. I cannot say if that is a function of the carbon limbs vs wood/glass or just an individual limb.
I do think the carbons are a touch faster but that is only an impression as I have yet to run them through the chrono.
At some point in the near future, I am going to sell off the 40# and 45# and use the money to buy a set of 35# limbs for use indoors over the winter. At this time, I don't know if I will buy the carbons or the wood/glass.
The downside of the BlackMax limbs is that they are sometimes hard to get and are frequently out of stock, especially in the longs. That is how I ended up with carbons. They did not have the wood/glass in stock, but had one set of carbons.
I also have a custom bow with standard take-down limbs and it shoots very well, but I have to admit that the ILF system is really nice. You can adjust both tiller and poundage (10% above min).

#6 ·
what is your price range? Also you could pick up a setup in the classifieds. Maybe a Tradtech titan riser or one of the other wood tradtech risers combined with a set of their black max limbs and you are ready to go. They will set it up for you before shipping if you order from Lancaster also.

#8 ·
Do LAS usually respond quickly to queries about bows? I am in Oz so just a bit hard to drop in and see them!

I have sent a couple of emails enquiring about exactly the setup described by Bill2311 and have had a very incomplete answer to one and no response to the other.

Is there any way to email one of the Trad experts directly rather than just the generic info@.... address?

thanks

#10 ·
Have you looked at Border Archery bows? They are more expensive here in the US, but I understand they are a lot more accessible in Europe. They are based in Scotland.
I really think the TradTech bows and limbs are the best value here in the US buy maybe Border is an option for you in Ireland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.