Archery Talk Forum banner

I think i've gotten lazy or have been spoiled...

1K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Alaska at heart 
#1 ·
Two years ago I hunted in a hang on for the first time. I always used a climber before that so, needless to say, this was a nice break. Last year I hunted out of ladder stands and never once used my climber. I think I am either getting lazy, spoiled by the ease of a ladder stand/hang on or maybe even a little nervous about climbing in a climber now that I have a child. One of my biggest issues is that when I use a climber, especially in the early season, I am dripping sweat halfway up! I guess if you play the wind, sweating won't bother anything?

#4 ·
I've spent maybe 8 hrs total in an elevated stand in my hunting career. Past few years I've been thinking of getting a cheap ladder stand… But I haven't gotten lazy yet. :wink:

#5 ·
The biggest reason I hate climbers. Way to long to set up, can be noisy and not good if you want to stay absolutely dry on a cold day. But, I still use one when I have to. Its a tool for me. Heck, I rather put up a set of sticks and a lock on than climb a tree is a climber.

Nothing lazy about it, IMO. The fact is a fixed position stand is much easier, quieter and less effort for me. All this means is an better chance at a good buck in the long run. To each their own.

#6 ·
I had one used it a lot for bears. I had one sketchy situation where I was trying to mount my tree arm. Sold it the next week. I think you can be just as mobile if not more with a light weight hang on and a bunch of pegs. I killed my buck last year in a speed set I had 2 nights to hunt. 1st night I spent scouting second night I set my hang on by 330 and shot a 140" deer at 615.

#8 ·
There is a time and a place for all stands. As example climbers hang ons and ladders are useless in a lot of parts of Texas, but tripods come in real handy. Just really depends on terrain and hunter preference. Don't waste the time to bring a climber to S Africa. The only straight limbless tree there is a telephone pole.

#9 ·
Having fixed stands or ladder stands can really make you think twice about using a climber. I fell into the same rut last year and kept going back to the same fixed stand when I should have been carrying the climber and hunting different areas. The main thing to remember is that if you want to give yourself the best opportunity to be successful, you need to mix up your stand locations and not overhunt a spot.

#10 ·
I was a climbing stand only hunter for many years. Got lazy and set up a bunch of lock ons last year. It was great not carting in a stand but I'm going back to my climber. My climber is way more comfortable and safer IMO. Don't like stepping into a loc on or using tree steps. Plus my climber is quieter once set. I guess if I bought all high priced loc ons they would be more solid and quieter. I also had a set stolen last year plus it gives away my spots to easily

#11 ·
I use climbers almost exclusively, but that is mainly because I hunt public land in Minnesota. I think they are easier to setup once you get used to them. I can be 25 ft up a tree in less than 5 mins with my summit. I do run into problems like not finding a good tree in a good area to hunt. I like to sit in big oaks, but you cant do that with a climber where as a lock on is perfect. I also like the big platforms on lock ons that most climbers don't have. Lone wolf came out with a new climber with a flip up seat, but I will need to come up with 400 bucks (not the deer) for that one. All on where you hunt and what you like. Just use a harness with all of them.

#12 ·
I use to hunt almost exsclusively out of a climber because i hunted on military bases and because i was dirt poor and couldnt afford locks on and ladders for multiple setups. After a few years of buying a lock on at a time i finally ended up with 7 sets and have gained some good access to private land so I only hunted from my climber i think 3 times this year i love the ease of going into a setup stand, but this year i think im breaking out the summit alot more the one thing I miss the most is the element of suprise.

#15 ·
I didn't use my climber once last season. I don't like using it unless I have too. The previous season I used it a lot. They are way too noisy setting up and if it's a little warm out I sweat too much climbing the tree. Much rather use a hang-on/ladder stand or a blind.

#16 ·
I hunt almost exclusively from a climber these days. I'm always jumping around hunting different or new spots, I am a firm believer that your best chance of killing a deer in an area is the very first time you hunt it. Sometimes carrying a climbing around sucks. But if you're in good shape, it shouldn't be a problem. I happen to think that climbers are the safest stands to use, provided that you wear your harness and are familiar with the stand itself. Stay away from poplar and American Beech trees while using a climber! I love a nice ash tree to get into, the soft back makes for a firm hold and quiet climb.

#17 ·
Real life scenario.......I walk through knee deep snow on a late December hunt on state land in west Michigan to a spot I had shot a doe from the ground the season previous. Just get settled in my ground spot in some pines and enjoying the serenity........when a LOUD....clunk.....scrape......bang series of noises break the peace and quiet. I look across the woods and there is a guy setting up a climber with all the grace of a salvage yard car crusher. Needless to say, neither of us saw a thing that night and I bet he was far more surprised that I was due to the abundant sign. I have never seen a climber that was quiet while being set up, so you have to bank on deer coming from a distance, being deaf or very curious. I typically hunt hang on stands, but have grown fond of ladders in the past couple seasons. Climbers.......uh.....NO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.