Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPM wins Field and Streams top honors for 2014

RPM wins Field and Streams top honors for 2014

I was expecting high marks for the RPM this year! While this was essentially posted in the general archery section, I thought it was deserving for the Brand specific talk. Also here is the actual article URL: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...comment-659592
    Full Throttle- 70lbs
    Bowtech RPM 360- 70lbs
    Mathews Safari- 85lbs
    Strother Moxie- 60lbs
    Bear Motive 6- 70lbs

This is obviously a narrowed $$$$ paid review. They claim to have reviewed other bows but fail to mention them by name. There is no way a Creed XS made it to the review but the Chill R didn't. The Creed XS is also a cam specific bow vs the Chill R has Mods. No Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo? Well I guess if you shoot a RPM you should feel pretty good that you made the right choice. Based off this shady review that is.

I shoot arrows with a bow

Team #7

I liked the Chill R better than the XS, that said one of the reviewers in the comment section of Field and Stream (Hinton) claimed they considered three Hoyts, tested the best one, but it did not make the cut. Supposedly Hinton's dealership got punished last year for not giving a better review to Mathews. I shoot a variety of bow companies irrespective of reviews, but thought the RPM was a solid speed bow.
    Full Throttle- 70lbs
    Bowtech RPM 360- 70lbs
    Mathews Safari- 85lbs
    Strother Moxie- 60lbs
    Bear Motive 6- 70lbs

why does everyone with a Mathews cry when there bow is not voted best?
    there a good door stop , waffle maker , insert your own here .
    I have shot a few Mathews and there not that good.
    there for the people with more money than brains , or just need there ego stroked.
    Bowtech Insanity,25.5" dl, 60# dw , Carbon Express Blue streaks @ 285fps, with Grim Reaper hybrids.
    HHA OL 5019 sight 4x lens and clarifier , Nap Apache, bling sling , Torqueless sideplates
    truglo stab with bowjax dampners , bowjax limb dampners and custom riser dampners .

I just joined the bowtech family yesterday. I shot the 360. I liked it but noticed a vibration at the end of the shot. Had I gotten that bow I believe I would have been able to have deadened it.
    Eric, Lt/Paramedic E76
    2014 Bowtech Carbon Overdrive
    Owner- FNI Outdoors LLC , Pro Staff IQBow Sights, Ghostblinds,
    Upwind Scent Elimination, Hips Archery Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie_00 View Post
    No Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo?
    Price was probably one of the testing criteria, so the expensive carbon Hoyts probably scored low enough in that category to bog them down the list. LOL!
    2014 Bowtech RPM 360 28"/60# in BlackOps
    HHA OL-5519 with 2nd/3rd axis
    LimbDriver Micro Elite with hunter blade
    Limbsaver X-Coil
    Strings/cables by Bow Fitter's LLC (tony219er)

Hard to beat a Bowtech.
    BLACK CARBON OVERDRIVE
    BLACK RPM
    SUMMIT VIPER ELITE SD

That is what I am saying, RPM and overdrive were two great bows this year.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobaby111 View Post
    Hard to beat a Bowtech.
    Full Throttle- 70lbs
    Bowtech RPM 360- 70lbs
    Mathews Safari- 85lbs
    Strother Moxie- 60lbs
    Bear Motive 6- 70lbs

Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector66 View Post
    why does everyone with a Mathews cry when there bow is not voted best?
    because Mathews told them it was the best

Quote Originally Posted by M4Madness View Post
    Price was probably one of the testing criteria, so the expensive carbon Hoyts probably scored low enough in that category to bog them down the list. LOL!
    Take your favorite stabilizer to your bow shop whenever you go to shoot some new bows. It will give you a better idea if you like the bow or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_Dancer View Post
    because Mathews told them it was the best
    I needed the chuckle , thanks that's so true
    Bowtech Insanity,25.5" dl, 60# dw , Carbon Express Blue streaks @ 285fps, with Grim Reaper hybrids.
    HHA OL 5019 sight 4x lens and clarifier , Nap Apache, bling sling , Torqueless sideplates
    truglo stab with bowjax dampners , bowjax limb dampners and custom riser dampners .

They chose the best bow !!!

People use compound bows for many reasons. You have indoor spot shooters, 3D shooters and bow hunters. The rave I hear about is the Hoyt Pro Edge Elite for people shooting spots and 3D. Then hunters want a fast, small and light rig that maneuvers in and around limbs or fits ground blind. IMO only a couple of those bows earned the right to be considered 1 of the top 7 hunting bows of the year. You couldn't pay me to carry a Bowtech RPM to the woods. I can just imagine that big metal block grip freezing my hand out. I am one of those hunters that hunts hard. I will hunt w/ 30mph winds and -20F below zero. Blizzard snows? Bring it on. The Hoyt Carbon bows are light, strong and the best thing you can carry into the woods. The most over looked bow of 2014 that deserves to be #2 is going to be that New Mathews Chill SDX. Yeah that's right. That 30" baby Chill R women's bow packs some speed.

I have never understood how these types of tests generate so much debate. Picking the right bow is an extremely subjective activity, there can be no "best" because what feels good to me may feel horrible to someone else. I shot a dozen different box the day I ordered my RPM. I ordered it because it felt better to me than any of the others. I suspect some people simply need others to like what they have to justify their decision. Many will also criticize the decisions of others in an attempt to make themselves feel superior.

I like my RPM. It shoots well and is quiet. Mine came with a plastic grip which won't get any colder than any other grip out there and is a non issue because I don't sit in a stand or blind holding the bow by the grip for hours on end. Are there quieter bows? Faster? Lighter? Probably so but none of them I shot felt right to me so they're non starters. I don't just hunt with my bow, I enjoy shooting it. If I bought a different bow that I didn't enjoy shooting because someone decided it was better my enjoyment would be diminished.

I went from a Heli M to a Creed before shooting an Invasion. I immediately traded in my month old brand new Creed for a used Invasion and my enjoyment and accuracy both increased. I wanted a bow with a warranty so I went shooting again and the RPM came home with me. Maybe I'm weird.

Tiggie there's no need to flame about Bowtech being #1 again this year. Hoyt was #1 in 2011 beating the Invasion with your beloved carbon bow, so here's a link to cheer you up bud, but this is 2014.
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...five-bows-2011

Field & Stream is predominantly a hunting magazine so that's the type of bows their going to review. I totally agree with Tiggie about the odd review, but only for the fact that the Carbon Overdrive wasn't #2. For you to say you couldn't pay me to take a Bowtech RPM 360 into the woods is just ridiculous, and showing how much a fanboy you are. If a bow company wanted to pay me to shoot their equipment, I would do so with a smile on my face. As of right now I can shoot which ever bow I choose to and that just happens to be an RPM 360 not because it was #1 on Field & Streams Top Bows of 2014; but because its the bow I liked shooting the best.

If Hoyt was #1 this year the Carbon Spyder or Mathews with the Creed XS or Chill R/X/XS/? I wouldn't be on your brands forum crying about it and unfair review. If you shoot a Mathews, Hoyt or any other major brand bow, nobody's knocking you or anyone else for that. People shot the bows they feel most accurate and comfortable with not because they are rated #1 in a magazine.
    Bowtech RPM 360 70# 27.5,
    Spot Hogg Hogg It
    Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
    Bee Steady Pro Hunter Max Stab
    Easton FMJ 400 26.5 100g Grim Reapers

Quote Originally Posted by Square_Dancer View Post
    Take your favorite stabilizer to your bow shop whenever you go to shoot some new bows. It will give you a better idea if you like the bow or not.
    I think you meant to quote FireLT72.
    2014 Bowtech RPM 360 28"/60# in BlackOps
    HHA OL-5519 with 2nd/3rd axis
    LimbDriver Micro Elite with hunter blade
    Limbsaver X-Coil
    Strings/cables by Bow Fitter's LLC (tony219er)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPaul View Post
    Tiggie there's no need to flame about Bowtech being #1 again this year. Hoyt was #1 in 2011 beating the Invasion with your beloved carbon bow, so here's a link to cheer you up bud, but this is 2014.

Field & Stream is predominantly a hunting magazine so that's the type of bows their going to review. I totally agree with Tiggie about the odd review, but only for the fact that the Carbon Overdrive wasn't #2. For you to say you couldn't pay me to take a Bowtech RPM 360 into the woods is just ridiculous, and showing how much a fanboy you are. If a bow company wanted to pay me to shoot their equipment, I would do so with a smile on my face. As of right now I can shoot which ever bow I choose to and that just happens to be an RPM 360 not because it was #1 on Field & Streams Top Bows of 2014; but because its the bow I liked shooting the best.

If Hoyt was #1 this year the Carbon Spyder or Mathews with the Creed XS or Chill R/X/XS/? I wouldn't be on your brands forum crying about it and unfair review. If you shoot a Mathews, Hoyt or any other major brand bow, nobody's knocking you or anyone else for that. People shot the bows they feel most accurate and comfortable with not because they are rated #1 in a magazine.

well said

Quote Originally Posted by FireLt72 View Post
    I just joined the bowtech family yesterday. I shot the 360. I liked it but noticed a vibration at the end of the shot. Had I gotten that bow I believe I would have been able to have deadened it.
    The one I shot did the same thing, it was like something was loose and vibrating at the end. The cams were tight, not sure what it was but it seemed odd for a new bow to have so much vibration
    2014 Mathews Chill X
    2013 Bowtech Insanity CPX <----- Gone
    2005 Bowtech Allegiance <----Still here
    2003 Bowtech Blackhawk <----Still here

Did it have the old style bio-shock dampeners, with the metal in them or the new ones without? I heard the older ones with the metal made noise and caused vibration, that's why they changed them in the newer RPMS.
    New

Old
    Bowtech RPM 360 70# 27.5,
    Spot Hogg Hogg It
    Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
    Bee Steady Pro Hunter Max Stab
    Easton FMJ 400 26.5 100g Grim Reapers

I am not sore that Hoyt or Mathews are not at the top of the list for Field & Stream's Magazine that gets paid for advertisements. I think in all fairness they should have listed all the bows they tested. Because they may not have even tested the Spyder Turbo or Mathews Chill SDX. I said it was a shady review because. They scored each category from 1 to 10 and doubled the key ones—speed, draw cycle, and accuracy—for a total possible score of 100. Why double the scores of speed, draw cycle and accuracy? Because that would favor one bow vs another. Draw cycle also is an opinion and accuracy is based on the ability of the shooter.

I shot the RPM 360 and it did feel uncomfortable in my hand. It felt heavy and clumsy. The shot did have a vibration, not bad but not dead in the hand. It's a Bowtech, brand X..
    The new riser may be stronger, but it’s also heavier and clunkier. No one liked the blocky grip.

Did it have the old style bio-shock dampeners, with the metal in them or the new ones without? I heard the older ones with the metal made noise and caused vibration, that's why they changed them in the newer RPMS.
    New

Old
    That may be true... But the main reason they re-designed is because the metal balls were falling out.
    2014 Bowtech Carbon Knight, 60#
    2014 Bowtech RPM 360, 60#, Stormy Hardwoods BloodTrail Fade

New

Old
    No noise or vibration on mine. Did add some glue to make sure the balls stay in place.
    Finland

never understood why hoyts most expensive bows are made in china
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX
    2012 Martin Onza 3
    2011 Martin Saber

Come on tigger you know you really want a bowtech ! There made in America !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast