Thread: What's in your vanes?

What's in your vanes?

What do you have for vanes/feathers on your arrows? Shape, length, height, straight, helical, soft, hard? A particular brand? Turn it loose!

Gateway Rayzrs, 3 fletch with as much right helical as I can get on them.

3'' true flight feathers right offset

2 inch Blazers no idea the helico. What ever the shop puts on them

5" Gateway parabolic feathers, with a moderate right helical, on an Easton A/C/C shaft. Getting ready to build some new arrows on Easton XX75 shafts, and will most likely go with a shield cut, just for a different look.

I tried to buy some additional time in my life to actually from Lancaster Archery, but they said it was on backorder.

I shoot Gator Feathers by Gator Vanes.
    They are the only feathers that you can tune to your particular shooting style and setup.
    There is a link in my signature.
    Don.
    DCA Target shafts.jpgPicture 703.jpgPicture 631.jpg
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

I generally shoot 4" shield cut feathers made by bearpaw. They are a great value at $0.28/ea for solid colors and $0.44/ea for barred from Kustom King. Just as high quality as True Flight, and way better than Gateway, IMO.
    Martin Scepter V 60# (barebow)
    Mohawk Sparrowhawk 66" 54#@28"

Excellent! Seems like I need to give feathers more consideration. This is getting good...
    Don't be shy, tell us how you fly!

Bohning 4" vanes helical

I have been thinking of trying Aerovane ll. Have any of you seen or tried them?

wish i could find some of them gator vanes down here in Australia
    co-founding Member of Team FB4L

All my indoor arrows I have 4" Feathers
    my hunting and 3D arrows I use Blazers but I'm considering going back to the 4" vanes because I think they are more forgiving when shooting fingers.

I have spin wings on my FITA recurve setup.
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Kurly Vanes for my BB recurve but I'm thinking about trying Vanetec 1.87" shield cuts because they are just so durable.

-Grant
    Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Watched a friend shooting Vanetec MAX's tonite during a tuning session. Very nice vanes.
    I stayed up all night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.--Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by b0w_bender View Post
    All my indoor arrows I have 4" Feathers
    my hunting and 3D arrows I use Blazers but I'm considering going back to the 4" vanes because I think they are more forgiving when shooting fingers.

I have spin wings on my FITA recurve setup.
    Just getting back into shooting after a 7 year layoff and then theft of my bows, arrows and gear. I got a half dozen gold tip 400 spine (first carbons ever) just to have something to start with. Hell the vanes on my beer darts are bigger than what came on these arrows. I just can't see shooting with fingers and at some later point broadheads with anything less than 4" with a minimum moderate helical twist. Just my old school gut feelings. The bow is an '03 protec, xt3000s, set @ 47lbs. to start, 41" ata and I'm at 30" DL. This will be my one and only bow for a while and maybe longer. My form and technique is what I'm focusing on and it's proving to be an exersize in discipline, but is sure is fun to be back in it!

The Gator Feathers look interesting, may have to look into them. I usually shoot 4" feathers on outdoor and 3D arrows and 5" feathers for indoor. I have tried vanes on and off for years but you can't beat the stabilizing qualities of a good feather!