Thread: Upgrade my wife's Hoyt

Upgrade my wife's Hoyt

What do I need to do to make her bow faster ? She has a Hoyt vixen . It's about 3 years old . She is ready to bump up her draw weight . Should I replace the limbs to 50 to 60 or would I gain more speed by a cam change

What speed does she have now, and what speed would you like to achieve?

The Vixen (as it's own model - after 2011 it was offered as a version of the Vector) only came with Cam & Half cams, so any cam switch (such as to Spiral X cams) would require you to figure out new string/cable lengths. Based on other Hoyts which offered both cams, you'd only pick up 5-10fps. That leaves you with swapping limbs. If you wife could pull 60 lbs you'd pick up about 10-15 fps (assuming she has 40-50 lbs limbs now and is maxed at 50). If your wife is not bow hunting and is shooting heavy arrows, you could pick up some speed by switching to the lighter arrows. Depending on her draw length, you could use sub 300 grain arrows and possibly pick up as much speed as a limb change.

Hers is the 2011 model . It's a 40 to 50 and she pulls it with ease . As for the speed now I'm not sure have never croned it . She is a bowhunter so lighter arrows are not a option . What limbs would I need to look for to do the swap ? I can do that just can't build strings . I would have to have someone do that for me .

You mentioned that she is ready to bump up her draw weight - assuming she has her Vixen cranked down to 50#? Has she drawn 55# or 60# for feel?
    Trained NCCP L-1 coach (not yet certified)
    • 2014 Elite e35 #55@29" (266fps/390gr-410CarbonOne;279fps/349gr-400Lightspeed)
    • 2011 Mathews MR7 #54@28" (282fps/349gr-400LightSpeed;269fps/390gr-410CarbonOne)
    • Hoyt Formula Excel ILF recurve for target, Martin Jaguar for trad archery

It's cranked up to 50 . That's the max . She shoots her friends bow that's set to 55

Hers is the 2011 model . It's a 40 to 50 and she pulls it with ease . As for the speed now I'm not sure have never croned it . She is a bowhunter so lighter arrows are not a option . What limbs would I need to look for to do the swap ? I can do that just can't build strings . I would have to have someone do that for me .
    Call Hoyt customer support and ask what deflection you'd need to achieve the 50-60 lbs draw weight range. Check AT classified, but it's probably a long shot. If no luck, then you'll have to order new. Hoyt won't sell them directly to you, you'll have to ask a local Hoyt dealer to order. The Vixen uses the VRS12 limbs, same as the Rampage and Pro Hawk.

A lot of bow hunters use 50 lbs bows for medium size North American game. You are going to be spending half the value of the bow just to pick up 10-15 fps. Just because she can pull more doesn't mean she needs to. If you are certain it is worth it, perhaps look at selling the Vixen and upgrade to a Carbon Element. Lots available with advent of the Carbon Spider.