Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High end scopes, are they worth it?

Two shots each at 20 30 40 50 60 with a leupold crossbones. And grizztrick2 broadheads

One shot each 20 30 40 50 60 with redfield revenge on sale for $99. And shuttle t broadheads.

Now just what's going to make this better?
    Add to this in 37 years of bow hunting over a 100 deer bunch of turkey's hard to tell how many critters.
    99% of my shots were inside 30 yds will inside.
    Just a down to earth Bowhunter.

Awesome sauce Joe !!! I'd say you're ready to rock !!!
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Thanks Randy, scopes are what we think we need nothing more. I can show you a buddy of mine that bought a phoenix and 12 arrows about 4 years ago. He said I need to find me a scope I had a old Simmons 4x shotgun scope. That I let him have for $20 he put cheap rings on it. Sighted it in. And has killed deer every year without fail. With that scope and bow and you guessed it the same 12 goldtip2 arrows factory fletched.

As I up graded to better scopes optimizer sand other stuff like arrows. I ask if he was interested in my old stuff. He said why. I'm killing deer with what I got. I couldn't argue.

Just remember when you talk advantage. I'll just bet there's been way more food put in the pot with a old tasco than a high $$$$$ scope.

Quote Originally Posted by rt2bowhunter View Post
    Two shots each at 20 30 40 50 60 with a leupold crossbones. And grizztrick2 broadheads

One shot each 20 30 40 50 60 with redfield revenge on sale for $99. And shuttle t broadheads.

Now just what's going to make this better?
    Add to this in 37 years of bow hunting over a 100 deer bunch of turkey's hard to tell how many critters.
    99% of my shots were inside 30 yds will inside.
    rt- What bow were you shooting? And arrow specs (shaft, length, vanes, fletching style)? Getting groups like that at 50+ yards with fixed broadheads is darned impressive! Better than I'm currently doing, that's for sure. I'm good out to about 40 yards with my setup before my groups start to open up too much.

~E

I'll start a new thread

Thanks Randy, scopes are what we think we need nothing more. I can show you a buddy of mine that bought a phoenix and 12 arrows about 4 years ago. He said I need to find me a scope I had a old Simmons 4x shotgun scope. That I let him have for $20 he put cheap rings on it. Sighted it in. And has killed deer every year without fail. With that scope and bow and you guessed it the same 12 goldtip2 arrows factory fletched.

As I up graded to better scopes optimizer sand other stuff like arrows. I ask if he was interested in my old stuff. He said why. I'm killing deer with what I got. I couldn't argue.

Just remember when you talk advantage. I'll just bet there's been way more food put in the pot with a old tasco than a high $$$$$ scope.
    That's a fact! ... Probably more food on the table with musket balls and ancient rifles & cartridges than any modern .308 or .30-06 too. Sure, lesser quality can getterdone.

If somebody said to a shooter "the computer picked your name to choose any scope out of the Cabelas catalog for free," ... nobody would be picking the Tasco over the Zeiss, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, or Swarovski. Another proof might be "if you finally put together your once in a lifetime trip to Africa, are you taking a Tasco on your .375 Holland?" No, you'll be mounting a world class scope on it. One you can count on in the mud, blood, dust, heat, banging & bumping. Why should it be any different in the deer woods? It's often difficult to both recognize quality and of course to justify it. The Chinese are making a fortune mimicking quality with cheap crap. We look at their stuff, read the company pitchput together by American authors penning the advertising , and convince ourselves it will do the same job at 1/10 the price. Looks pretty good from the outside. Picture quality ain't really THAT bad. (Particularly in broad daylight or under the store lights when you sample the glass.) Who really needs clarity around the edges anyway? I don't shoot when it's really dark anyway. I'm not rough on my gear, so whatever shortcuts they took inside this thing won't matter. Self deception for the most part. MOST of the scopes they make, WILL do the same job, under most conditions, ... most of the time. Quality costs money though.

I've had a Zeiss scope on my 12ga slug gun for 11 years. It's been through it all. Shot in temperatures from -7F to 107F. Traveled from sea level to 35,000feet up. Used in just about every weather condition you can name. Thousands of rounds. NEVER moved! Absolute trust & peace of mind in that piece of equipment. Means a lot to me personally. PLUS, for the entire 11 years, I've been seeing superb, bright, crisp, brilliant picture quality with superior light transmission!! All Zeiss' scopes (Swarovski, Leica, Nightforce, etc) can be counted on to do the job, all the time, in all conditions ... and do it better. What's that worth to a shooter? I've tried good enough scopes on my vertical bows, crossbows, air rifle and rimfires because "nobody spends big money on a short range weapon glass." What I've gotten out of it is frustration and annoyance. When I bought my dedicated slug gun back in 2003 the same philosophy prevailed. Cheap, low power glass for a shotgun. I seriously questioned that philosophy. In a vanguard counter-culture move I began corresponding with Zeiss about putting their brand new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm on a shotgun. With their assurances (super nice people by the way) I bought their scope and have never regretted the decision. Point being: "I've never regretted high quality." I've often regretted compromising on quality.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

A GOOD scope is all that's necessary. Having a scope that cost $500.00 + dollars is 'more than just a good scope'. If a person wants to wear a tuxedo to go mud wrestling, I say more power to them. They look silly as heck but no one will probably say anything, just think it...

This reminded me of a post on another forum years ago. This guy really bought into the hype of high dollar scopes. He thought he could do better at dawn and dusk. So he sold his high end Leupold and spent about $2000 on a Night Force. He mounted it and took it out to shoot right at twilight. It was better. But the difference was barely noticeable until after legal shooting light. Since he mounted it, he couldn't return it. He was less than pleased.

The moral of this story is that you need to decide if you are willing to pass up a shot right at the beginning or ending of legal light or if you are willing to spend the money on a scope that will allow you to make that shot.
    You will know that you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud.
    -- Rand Corporation: Pocket Edition Survival Guide

I don't know if this helps.....but I've only ever used "cheaper" scopes my whole life. Including the $130 scope from CAMX. I could always see better thru the scope in low light than with my naked eye. Not sure what more you need as long as it holds zero.

So I guess what I'm trying to say....nothing to worry about with a cheaper scope, especially one from Hawke in my opinion. They'll get the job done, and reliably.

Also nothing wrong with premium optics.

In my opinion.....go premium on the projectile assembly.
    Obsession Evolution (on the way) | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery T3 | Stryker Solution 350

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    I don't know if this helps.....but I've only ever used "cheaper" scopes my whole life. Including the $130 scope from CAMX. I could always see better thru the scope in low light than with my naked eye. Not sure what more you need as long as it holds zero.

So I guess what I'm trying to say....nothing to worry about with a cheaper scope, especially one from Hawke in my opinion. They'll get the job done, and reliably.

Also nothing wrong with premium optics.

In my opinion.....go premium on the projectile assembly.
    Amen ... on that arrow advice! Far and away THE most important part of the equation. Sighting system doesn't mean much if all your arrows/broadheads aren't consistently shooting to the same POI.
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks

When it comes to using optics to kill animals on a weapon you'd be wise to listen to Iron Duke.

Optics are going to help people at varying degrees because of out individual eye sight. Just because one dude doesn't need clarity as much doesn't mean I don't need a lot......or magnification or light gathering. Some dudes can see in the dark with their naked eye better than I can with a cheap scope.
    Also there is awesome features that good scopes have. Do you have to have an expensive scope...... no you don't. If you can't afford it then do the best you can. If you have awesome eye sight and night vision you probably will not benefit as much as I would.
    If you have eye sight like me then quality optics will definitely kill more deer down the road.
    The partially good thing is that quality optics on a crossbow are a little cheaper than on a 900 yard rifle.
    There are some really good optics that will help greatly if your eyes suck like mine that don't cost thousands of dollars.
    Scorpyd Ventilator/ Scorpyd Velocity
    SPEED DOG>>-----> sniffen out the speed
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!
    Tenpoint Carbon Fusion/Excalibur Vortex/Vortex Optics-Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

I put ... four different inexpensive $200.00-ish scopes on my main .22rimfire over the last few years working on the "not worth spending for high end glass" philosophy. I'd see a sale on a scope that looks great in the ad from Midway or Natchez ... or read one of you guys writing about a low priced Vortex/Hawke type scope. Finally bought a Zeiss Rimfire. http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e....html#features Wish I would have done it years ago! Would have saved a few hundred bucks in the long run. Probably make a great crossbow scope too. I could see one on my backup Orion ... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    I put ... four different inexpensive $200.00-ish scopes on my main .22rimfire over the last few years working on the "not worth spending for high end glass" philosophy. I'd see a sale on a scope that looks great in the ad from Midway or Natchez ... or read one of you guys writing about a low priced Vortex/Hawke type scope. Finally bought a Zeiss Rimfire. http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e....html#features Wish I would have done it years ago! Would have saved a few hundred bucks in the long run. Probably make a great crossbow scope too. I could see one on my backup Orion ... LOL
    Duke because I like you so much....I'll take those 4 crappy "cheapo" scopes off your hands. And I won't even charge you.
    Obsession Evolution (on the way) | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery T3 | Stryker Solution 350

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    Duke because I like you so much....I'll take those 4 crappy "cheapo" scopes off your hands. And I won't even charge you.
    LOL ... I have to see what's kicking around. I remember at least one nice Burris, one Leupold 2-8x36mm with a 25 yard parallax setting, one Vortex Crossfire, think I tried a Hawke AirmaxEV on it.

Bottom line. If I couldn't walk up on the hill with a sling shot and fill the soup pot. As John Wayne say Wwwweeeeelllllllll.

It's like this. Do I need my St croix legion extreme rod no. It was a treat I treated myself to a nice rod. Nothing more. Do I pull the wool over my eyes or try to anyone else's no. Why because I know it's not needed. To put fish in the boat. Surely I'm just as good a fisherman as that little boy that went to the creek and cut a pole from the bank. All those years ago lol.

And surely I'm as good a hunter as that young man. That Bowhunted without sights of any kind. Blow all the smoke you want. Some of us know. Because we did.

It's like this. Do I need my St croix legion extreme rod no. It was a treat I treated myself to a nice rod. Nothing more. Do I pull the wool over my eyes or try to anyone else's no. Why because I know it's not needed. To put fish in the boat. Surely I'm just as good a fisherman as that little boy that went to the creek and cut a pole from the bank. All those years ago lol.

And surely I'm as good a hunter as that young man. That Bowhunted without sights of any kind. Blow all the smoke you want. Some of us know. Because we did.
    Yup ... done it with cheap stuff and done it with nice stuff. Truth is ... it's better with the nice stuff though ... LOL Reminds me of the guy who was being interviewed by a reporter. He had made a fortune, then gone broke, THREE times. The reporter asked him if the money made him a different man and if the important things in life changed. The guy replied that he's been rich, and been poor ... but life is a whole lot easier & more fun when you've got money.

I bought the Hawke 1.5-5 for my grandson's Recruit, and the one year old Vent I just bought came with the same scope. These are the least expensive scopes I have other than the Bushnell Banner AO for my .22 rifle. I was more interested in the sub-tensions for different yardages than I was for optical superiority. But it's a different story with my binoculars and varmint rifles - buy once, cry once . . .
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

Trouble with that high $$$$$ rod. It don't get to fish much. Most of the time it rides around in it's case. Never gets To ride the rhino up the hollow to fish the pond. No rides in the back of the truck pond hopping. But it sure is pretty.
    I just don't see me throwing a 2,000 bow with a 1,000 scope in the bed of the rhino spinning and throwing mud up the hills. To go bowhunting. But I do have a 12,000 rhino. So it's what we think we need at the time.

I remember a very close friend bought a new truck. He went to take his grand paw a ride. They get to going down the road. Grand paw chewing tobacco spits in the floor. Looks at my buddy and said it's just a truck.

scopes are like whiskey...if you only drink the cheap stuff you will never miss the good stuff......................... .........

L.O.L. and i don't even drink.......................
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Todd,

If you want to go with the mult-reticle vs the HHA with a single crosshair, the Hawke XB30 that Wyvern has on sale right now is a very good scope at a very good price. THe Hawke XB30 has been regarded as one of the best multi-reticle scopes available.
    Excalibur Matrix 380 Blackout X2
    HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope
    18" Black Eagle Arrows w/ 110 grain insert and Lumenoks
    100 grain Swhacker broadheads 1.75"

The hunting rules where you hunt may also dictate your need for optics. We have a $100 fine for shooting bucks under 8 points in our club, and we shoot a lot of does to manage the gender ratio. About twice a year a hunting club member puts a doe on the ground, only to find it has 1" spikes. Been there and done that. So I want good light gathering ability in low light conditions, and that's what you get with the high-end scopes. So I won't take that low-light deer unless I'm absolutely sure what's on it's head. With that said, I still only spent $500 on my crossbow scope. The rifles are an entirely different story. They get Swarovski's and Nikon Monarchs, and I use Nikon Premier LX-L binos. I need to see that head at 200 yards in low light, so I spend more money on the rifle optics, and even more so on the binoculars. The sub-$100 scopes will work to put a deer on the ground with your bow. But if you find yourself in a lot of low-light situations, spend a little more money on your scope.

Another consideration is how much practicing you do, how you practice, and if you are OCD about your target shooting.....like me. I like my 2" groups at 100 yards, so I need to be confident in my optics. I shoot 999 arrows at targets for every 1 arrow shot at a deer. Maybe even more. I'm fanatical about my set-up. So take this into consideration.

One last thing. The guys have rightfully mentioned scope rings...buy good ones and get then tight. Also, don't forget about your Picatinny rail those scope rings attach to. If it's removable, be sure to Loctite that sucker down good. It will drive you nuts if it works loose. Been there, done that too.

Keith

Scorpyd Vent 150, HHA, Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm
    Vortex rings, SSA BEE's.

Ramblin99
    Excellent point and part of what I was posting about my eyes being bad.....and that is APRs.
    I'm not a point hunter but its funny that their making me into one. Lol
    Scorpyd Ventilator/ Scorpyd Velocity
    SPEED DOG>>-----> sniffen out the speed
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!
    Tenpoint Carbon Fusion/Excalibur Vortex/Vortex Optics-Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

Ramblin99, good point as Pa. has a "At least 3 points on one side" rule.

Todd

Good post Ramblin99 . . .
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast