Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High end scopes, are they worth it?

Todd, congrats on the 330 SS. I'm sold on the Leupold 1 - 4x. It's lightweight, clear, tough, holds zero, heavy duplex is great for low light. Good match for my 355SS. YMMV.

"It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

I must have excellent eyes then. I've always been able to see more with cheap scopes in low light than what I can see with my naked eye. Or does that mean I have bad eyes?

Bottom line......spend your money how you want. I'll never buy a $2000 scope, EVER......but I have a $3000 guitar that sits in it's case most of the time. So everyone spends their money in different ways, for different reasons.
    Obsession Evolution (on the way) | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery T3 | Stryker Solution 350

Never ... say "never."... LOL
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Never ... say "never."... LOL
    haha......I can say with absolute certainty....I'll NEVER spend that much on a scope.
    Obsession Evolution (on the way) | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery T3 | Stryker Solution 350

Clint
    That's true that everyone spends their money.... where the majority of their heart is at. It's revealing isn't it.
    Scorpyd Ventilator/ Scorpyd Velocity
    SPEED DOG>>-----> sniffen out the speed
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!
    Tenpoint Carbon Fusion/Excalibur Vortex/Vortex Optics-Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

Quote Originally Posted by VINSON SCOTT View Post
    Clint
    That's true that everyone spends their money.... where the majority of their heart is at. It's revealing isn't it.
    Werd......which is why my wife and kid get 99% of my money (whats left over that the government didn't take anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    haha......I can say with absolute certainty....I'll NEVER spend that much on a scope.
    Scopes are like women . . . I think snuggling up to Cindy Crawford would be a lot more enjoyable than snuggling up to Rosie O'Donnell . . . ymmv.
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

My favorite of all is....action speaks louder than words. So where the heart is there is where you'll be.
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!

Quote Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
    Scopes are like women . . . I think snuggling up to Cindy Crawford would be a lot more enjoyable than snuggling up to Rosie O'Donnell . . . ymmv.
    I hate to break it to you man.....but that wasn't a scope.....don't think that was a woman you were snuggling with.

And in your analogy Rosie would be the more expensive one.....just imagine what it would cost to feed her.

Yea.....its like you can drive a pt cruiser to work or a hemi challenger..............both get you there with air and comfort.

I am thinking the original poster is long gone and said these folks on this site are nuts.......................... ........................
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Still comes down to a person's resources, the place and way you hunt, etc. Even the most frugal among us can't really feel too good about what it ends up costing per pound of venison.
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

I'll debate ... "scopes are like women."

#1. The high end scopes look just like the low end scopes.
    1a. The high end women are easily identified... and they know it.
    #2. High end scopes are reliable, durable and trouble free.
    2a. High end women are unreliable, delicate and a PITA. The higher the more headaches. Exact opposite of scopes.
    #3. High end scopes cost a lot, but it's a one time investment for a lifetime of pleasure.
    3a. High end women never stop costing you money... and a lot of it.
    #4. High end scopes require two inexpensive rings and that's the end of the jewelry. They last for the life of the relationship.
    4a. High end women require ludicrously expensive rings to begin with, and periotic additional jewelry in order to keep them problem free.
    #5. High end scopes require a cheap bikini cover or a pair of flip opens.
    5a. High end women require a dozen bikini covers under expensive duds, suits, shoes, coats, etc., etc., on & on ... replaced & renewed forever!
    #6. High end scopes require almost zero maintenance and can be trusted indubitably. They're never looking to trade up to a better rifle.
    6a. High end women are high maintenance and you have to be wary with them around other more accomplished males.
    #7. High end optics don't spawn.
    7a. High end women by their very nature will soon be multiplying. (you rascal you) The costs will then become exponential.
    #8. Etc., etc., etc.... LOL

So, that $2,500.00 Swarovski is beyond a bargain if you're comparing it to a comparable lady.
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks

The older I get, the more my eyes appreciate high end scopes and cheap women.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunanut View Post
    The older I get, the more my eyes appreciate high end scopes and cheap women.
    LOL ... "wisdom!"

I myself can not afford the top of the line scope but I can afford one in the $400-500 dollar range. I believe there is a noticiable deference between clarity and low light gathering abilitities between mid price scopes compared to entry level scopes. I also think that if a person wants a lighted dot money makes a big difference. The more expensive scopes seem to track much better and hold zero. I would think most hunters would be better off with a mediocre cross bow with good optics over a great x-bow with poor optics. I have a Leupold with heavy duplex which i really like .Great in low light and fire dot works great.

Years ago the firearm guys used to say they spent the same amount on a scope as they did on the firearm. I'm above that on some firearms, and a tad below on others. I guess the difference is whether you're shooting 20, 30, 40 yards or so or if you're trying to hit a chuck or a yote out at 200 - 300 yards.

That said, I'd rather spend money on the best looking gal in the bar versus a freebie with the last gal left in the bar . . .
    You can't fix stupid
    Trojan Shooting Staff

I think the problem here is speaking the same language. A low priced scope to one may be a fairly high priced scope to another. It's very confusing. There should be a price range. For example: low end scopes are in the $100-$200 range, etc.

If you want to save money I suggest a coat hanger and a battery operated Christmas tree star. I would bet money that someone can kill boat loads of deer with it. Some kids toy guns have usable optics.

I agree with Rexxer and archer36. You can get really nice scopes that do make a difference, especially for less than ideal eyesight for 300-600 dollars...under a thousand dollars going all out. Like archer36 says everyone has a different idea about expensive.
    Each scope maker places their better gradescopes in ddifferent price brackets because of features also. But if quality glass is mainly what your after you don't have to go as high in price. And companies like vortex and some others offer it at reasonable prices where for a 100-two hundred dollars more than a 150-200 dollar scope you can get a noticeable difference in quality.

Pick your poison . . .

Premium price class (MSRP over $1100)

Leupold VX-6
    Nightforce
    Schmidt & Bender
    Swarovski Z5, Z6
    U.S. Optics line
    Zeiss Victory series

High price class (MSRP $600-$1099)

Bushnell Elite 6500
    Docter Optic
    I.O.R.-Valdada line
    Leupold VX-3, FX-3, VX-R
    Millet LRS
    Sightron Series III (SIII)
    Swarovski Z3
    Trijicon Accupoint
    Weaver Super Slam, Classic T Series

Medium-high price class (MSRP $400-$599)

Bushnell Elite, Bone Collector
    Clearidge Optics Ultra XP5
    Leupold VX-2, FX-2
    Millet DMS, TRS
    Minox ZA
    Nikon Monarch 3
    Pentax Lightseeker
    Sightron SII Big Sky (SIIB)
    Vixen Sport Optics line
    Weaver Grand Slam
    Zeiss Conquest

Medium price class (MSRP $300-$399)

Burris Fullfield E1, C4
    Bushnell Legend Ultra HD
    Clearidge Optics Ultra XP
    Konus Pro M-30
    Leupold VX-I, FX-I, Mark AR
    Sightron Series II (SII)

Medium-low price class (MSRP $200-$299)

BSA Gold Star 2
    Burris Fullfield II
    Bushnell Trophy XLT
    Clearidge Optics Ultra RM
    Leupold Rifleman
    Nikon Buckmaster
    Redfield Revolution
    Sightron Series I (SI)
    Swift Premier series
    Weaver Classic V-Series, K-Series, Rimfire, 40/44

Low price class (MSRP $125-$199)

Alpen Kodiak
    BSA Edge
    Bushnell Banner
    Konus Pro Plus
    Mueller Optics line
    Nikon Prostaff, AR, Rimfire
    Pentax Gameseeker II
    Redfield Revenge
    Simmons ProHunter, 44 Mag
    Tasco Titan
    Weaver Kaspa

Economy price class (MSRP under $125)

BSA Deerhunter
    Konus Pro line
    Simmons Master Series ProSport, 8-Point, .22 Mag, Rimfire
    Tasco World Class, Target & Varmint, Pronghorn, .22, Rimfire
    You can't fix stupid
    Trojan Shooting Staff

And then we get into red dot/reflex sights:-)
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE BUT.......

I would bump the Nikon Prostaff 5 up the list a bit. they are real nice for the coin.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Years ago the firearm guys used to say they spent the same amount on a scope as they did on the firearm. I'm above that on some firearms, and a tad below on others. I guess the difference is whether you're shooting 20, 30, 40 yards or so or if you're trying to hit a chuck or a yote out at 200 - 300 yards.

That said, I'd rather spend money on the best looking gal in the bar versus a freebie with the last gal left in the bar . . .
    Either way you're getting a bar chick

Either way you're getting a bar chick
    Well, I met my current wife 34 years ago . . . in a bar - Zelda's Greenhouse, Ann Arbor, MI . I'm still trying to figure out if I won or not . . . (just kidding).
    You can't fix stupid
    Trojan Shooting Staff

Well, I met my current wife 34 years ago . . . in a bar - Zelda's Greenhouse, Ann Arbor, MI . I'm still trying to figure out if I won or not . . . (just kidding).
    maybe they have nicer bars in ann arbor than what I'm used to

maybe they have nicer bars in ann arbor than what I'm used to
    You havta ... spend more than a buck & a quarter a drink to get into the better bars... LOL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast