a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: High end scopes, are they worth it?

How about the 1,000's of deer killed every year with peep and pin. Don't forget are roots. Were bowhunting.

Just a down to earth Bowhunter.

so i think the real answer to this question is:
    the very subtle differences from a high end scope like a 300.00 model to 1000.00 model are definitely not worth it if funds are tight or if you plan to use the bow 3 times a year or something like that.

Its another one of the questions that if your asking it..? you don't need it.......................
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 380 Xb30 scope, Matrix 380
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Quote Originally Posted by no1huntmaster View Post
    so i think the real answer to this question is:
    the very subtle differences from a high end scope like a 300.00 model to 1000.00 model are definitely not worth it if funds are tight or if you plan to use the bow 3 times a year or something like that.

Its another one of the questions that if your asking it..? you don't need it.......................

The OP began his thread talking about a $100 scope - a $300 scope is a different story altogether.
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Silver Ventilator 125, Tapps, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

What tpcollins said. I am sure the line from 100.00 dollar scopes to 1000.00 scopes is not a straight line. Was wondering where the point of diminishing returns is at?
    Is a 200 dollar scope twice as good as a 100 dollar one, is a 500 dollar scope twice as good as a 250 dollar one? After how much money do you start getting less for your money?

Todd

Great discussion on scopes! I certainly agree that you can get by with the less expensive scopes and even less expensive crossbows. My two crossbows are old but shoot between 320 and 340 which matches many current crossbows on the market - they just do not have fancy new stocks or gadgets. Same thing with my crossbow scopes I use old Excalibur scopes with large objective lens - been killing several deer a year for 6 - 7 years or longer with this set up. These old scopes hold incredible accuracy but do suffer from some paint flaking on the inside - does not seem to be noticed by the deer.

The main point, IMO, is that what ever setup you settle on practice until you are proficient and confident in your crossbow: that means fine tuning your arrows, broad heads, field points, scope and even fletching's. All the little variables that can affect the performance of your crossbow. You still have plenty of time until season opener if you work on it.

One thing I will say is that the more pricy lines of equipment usually cause less problems or issues but if you are like me? I have more time then money to resolve the issues. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd the archer View Post
    What tpcollins said. I am sure the line from 100.00 dollar scopes to 1000.00 scopes is not a straight line. Was wondering where the point of diminishing returns is at?
    Is a 200 dollar scope twice as good as a 100 dollar one, is a 500 dollar scope twice as good as a 250 dollar one? After how much money do you start getting less for your money?

Todd
    My guess ... "generally!" you ain't getten much for $100.00 and a $250.00 scope is 5x better. $500.00 to about $750.00, if you do your research and watch for sales, you're going to be into a top flight, pretty durable, high quality, and a nice sight picture. A LOT better than the $200.00 stuff. From $1,000.00 on up you're looking at world class stuff.... and seriously diminished returns on your money. Not much difference the average person could see. Once again, street prices. What a lot of people don't realize is the world class expensive stuff not only gives you the best sight picture known to man, they're also tougher, more durable, more reliable and longer lasting. Big money often means "exotic," specialized, delicate and, high maintenance. Quite the opposite with world class optics. Thing is, the medium priced optics companies know you can't see what's INSIDE the tubes. As long as what you see THROUGH the tube wows you, you THINK you're getting as good as the $$$ Leicas, Swaros & Zeiss ... but you ain't ... LOL Then again, most people aren't Rambo-ing their scopes, binos & spotters so the medium offerings are likely the wisest star to shoot for.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

after doing a good amount of scope comparisons several side by side in a treestand at night and at quite an expense to my self..........i conclude that the diminishing returns land at about 500.00 to 600.00 mark....you pick the manufacture

though my comparisons were to only Include 1 Zeiss Duralltyte, 3 Leupolds, 4 Nikons, 3 Hawke, 3 Bushnell, 3 Vortexs from 229.00 up to 1250.00 all with in a few weeks.

The newer Nikons Prostaff 5 Monarc 3 seem to beat out almost everything in the 600.00 and under range. But with only one illuminated model to pick from, you almost have to go with a std nikonplex

It is rather hard to do a real apples to apples test from scope to scope other then comparing similer models set at the same power and dialing back the longer models a bit to get more light fro a longer focal length.

I looked for light gathering ability 1st, 2nd clarity, 3rd What i thought be build quality.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 380 Xb30 scope, Matrix 380
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Quote Originally Posted by no1huntmaster View Post
    after doing a good amount of scope comparisons several side by side in a treestand at night and at quite an expense to my self..........i conclude that the diminishing returns land at about 500.00 to 600.00 mark....you pick the manufacture

though my comparisons were to only Include 1 Zeiss Duralltyte, 3 Leupolds, 4 Nikons, 3 Hawke, 3 Bushnell, 3 Vortexs from 229.00 up to 1250.00 all with in a few weeks.

The newer Nikons Prostaff 5 Monarc 3 seem to beat out almost everything in the 600.00 and under range. But with only one illuminated model to pick from, you almost have to go with a std nikonplex

It is rather hard to do a real apples to apples test from scope to scope other then comparing similer models set at the same power and dialing back the longer models a bit to get more light fro a longer focal length.

I looked for light gathering ability 1st, 2nd clarity, 3rd What i thought be build quality.
    The most ... prolific wildlife management shooter I ever met preferred older Nikon Monarch scopes. He'd watch for them on Ebay or GunBroker. Then again he was a fairly frugal guy. Although, he did carry a beautiful pair of Leica 8x32mm binoculars. We compared them to the Swarovski SLC8x30's I was carrying back then and it was REALLY close. The Swaros were noticeably lighter in weight to me, but I personally thought the picture quality was a tiny bit better through the Leicas. The third shooter on the project thought the Swaros were nicer.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Tell you what it's fixin to break day light. I'm going to take this $82 redfield revenge crossbow scope and see if I can see to shoot it if I can see it.

Ok I set a piece of cardboard out at 20yds. It's very cloudy this morning so same as early bow season with the trees leafed out.
    Sunrise is 6:15 I can hunt 30 mins before. So I can start at 5:45. That's in 10 mins.

Ok, it's 5:38 with my naked eye I can just make out the brown cardboard. With the cheap scope I can clearly see the brown cardboard.
    And can clearly see the crosshair on the cardboard. If I was hunting I can shoot before legal times.

And at the edge of me seeing it at all with my naked eyes.

So where's the benefit of a $1000 scope. Talking low light shooting.

Just moved the cardboard back in the woods. At 30 yds it's 5:45 and I can just make out there's a pizza box there naked eye. And can clearly see to shoot with the $82 scope. In both cases if it were a buck of a lifetime I'm holding horns. If it stayed around until legal shooting time.
    There's benefits to living in the country and next door to the woods. You can see for yourself.

So again where's the extra $100's spent going to help me get my buck. It's not shooting in low light. And the scopes staying sighted in or it has so far.

rt2, that's why I ordered another Redfield yesterday. Probably the best bang for the buck on xbow scopes right now.
    SZ 380, BEE + STM100s (425gr.), HHA, Nikon
    SZ 350, Redfield Revenge

Good responses all around. If I take inventory of the optics I have (or have had), looks like I'm in the same company as the Duke - but that's just me. The only optics I haven't really tested are the Hawke SR IR on my two crossbows, which are tied for second place as the cheapest scopes I have. We'll see how they do this fall . . .
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Silver Ventilator 125, Tapps, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

Rt2
    I think you've proven to yourself that the scope your using meets your needs. But like has been discussed, your scope may not meet the needs of others with everyone bringing certain amounts of variables like their specific quality of vision. Also not many will argue.... me included... that a scope like yours would get the job done albeit with possible limitations to some with terrible vision problems.
    Scorpyd Ventilator/ Scorpyd Velocity
    SPEED DOG>>-----> sniffen out the speed
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!
    Tenpoint Carbon Fusion/Excalibur Vortex/Vortex Optics-Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

rt2, you are making me feel good about the Redfield. I think the same way about my Leupold. I think the comparison to women is kind of ridiculous, since nothing really compares to that aggravation-reward set. I think it's a lot like cars/trucks. The high end ones are nicer. For those that have the means and can justify the cost, of course you will be aware of the advantages. The other guy can still get from a to b. If I could do what Duke does, I'd likely want what he uses. For my 1 - 3 woods deer under 30, what I have is more than good enough.
    DTM 355 SS walnut stock, Leupold VX 1 1-4 heavy duplex
    DTM 330 Swamp Donky Long Magnum, Redfield Revenge
    BEEs, Laser 2 Pros, Slick Tricks, Ramcats.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE PA View Post
    rt2, you are making me feel good about the Redfield. I think the same way about my Leupold. I think the comparison to women is kind of ridiculous, since nothing really compares to that aggravation-reward set. I think it's a lot like cars/trucks. The high end ones are nicer. For those that have the means and can justify the cost, of course you will be aware of the advantages. The other guy can still get from a to b. If I could do what Duke does, I'd likely want what he uses. For my 1 - 3 woods deer under 30, what I have is more than good enough.
    I almost ... BOUGHT one of those Redfields! I had it in my shopping basket when it dawned on me I already have 3 or 4 scopes around that are similar and could be used on my backup bow if I decide to get one. I have a fair amount of disposable income at this juncture in my life, but I'm not beyond some measure of common sense either ... LOL I have a couple of old Redfield scopes and they have performed wonderfully.

The bottom line for me and I would think everyone regardless of vision. If you can't see it with your naked eyes or glasses. Then how are you going to know it's there. Yea you can hear something walking around that you can't see. But are you going to try and shoot it.
    If you can't identify it no.

And there legal shooting times. That testing scopes I find is real close to can I see it.

If you like great glass fine. But please don't preach it's a gotta have. Because it's not. And brings no advantage in the bow woods.

The redfields are new to me. And I'll be honest you can count on that. If they stay sighted in and don't fog up or break. I'll kill every deer I want to with them. Just the same as I will with the $250 leupold crossbones.

Rt2
    I'll check my posts but I don't think I was preaching anything to you. I'll finish your statement for you as pertaining to me that certain scopes do bring an advantage to me. Yes I'll agree not to you. And I'll take it that your not preaching to me that it does not bring an advantage to me.
    Your hunting/ scope scenario at the beginning of your post is very amusing. Lol
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!

VS just a general statement not shooting at you at all. What made you think I was? I looked at my post didn't see your name no where.

And glad you find it funny.

It's really very simple To anyone put up a piece of cardboard. And see for yourself. Does your scope cut it or not.

If you can see it can you hit it. Oops I'm being funny again

Hell, I don't NEED any of them to kill deer. It's what I want on a particular crossbow. No need arguing about it. I have a $600 Zeiss Victory Z-Point reflex sight on my BB gun:-)....makes no sense whatsoever but I had it lying around so I put it to use:-)
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

I can practice shooting my bow instinctive without any sights at all and kill deer. Is that what we're discussing? Or are some optics worth it to some people and give an increased advantage?
    Which is it?

I would have to think the vision issue at bowhunting distances is a pretty rare scenario. I have vision problems with distance. Looking down thru the trees is killer for me. But I have corrective lenses that take care of it. However corrective lenses may not help those with eye conditions that affect their "night vision". For those folks I could see the advantage of a quality scope.

But even as a teenager.....my cheap scopes gathered more light than my young healthy eyes could.

I'm sure I'll understand more when I get super old.....like in my 40's
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Excalibur Micro

Actually.....scopes' light transmission is less than 100%.
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

I'm looking ... for any advantage I can get. If a $700.00 scope could possibly give me an advantage, even 1% of the time, "and I can afford it" ... I'm buying it. As I've said before "I always want my equipment better than I am."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast