Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Kendall Shoulder Pressing 500lbs

Derek Kendall Shoulder Pressing 500lbs

No man is truly married until he understands every word his wife is NOT saying.

Impressive, but it'd be a lot more impressive if he actually did the full movement.
    "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - 1 Corinthians 16:13

Ben Pearson Cougar, 64", 47# @ 28.5"

Thats how his rom is in all his shoulder pressing movements, Doesnt matter if its 135lbs or 500lbs. Id be impressed if I seen a guy unrack that weight let alone press it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTracker View Post
    Thats how his rom is in all his shoulder pressing movements, Doesnt matter if its 135lbs or 500lbs. Id be impressed if I seen a guy unrack that weight let alone press it.
    x2...

He's a big boy
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

You can do a lot more seated too than standing. This to me is a lot more impressive.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - 1 Corinthians 16:13

I'm no math expert but it looks like he has 2 singles on each side plus 45 for the bar=445lbs. Impressive either way, what a beast!!!
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra QAD HDX Carbon Express

Quote Originally Posted by pTac View Post
    I'm no math expert but it looks like he has 2 singles on each side plus 45 for the bar=445lbs. Impressive either way, what a beast!!!
    There 5 45s per side plus the bar and collars.

There 5 45s per side plus the bar and collars.
    Ok, couldn't make it out that well on a small screen, I see it now. Still a BEAST!
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra QAD HDX Carbon Express

strong as a mf

THAT WAS AWESOME ! Makes my 225 look so weak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is proper range of motion for shoulder press. your elbows shouldnt go past parallel of your shoulders.
    Bear Archery / Trophy Ridge Accessories / Rocket Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by dc-kreative View Post
    that is proper range of motion for shoulder press. your elbows shouldnt go past parallel of your shoulders.
    Who told you this?

Knew this one was out there somewhere. Serge Reding's 228kg/501.6lb press.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_D View Post
    Knew this one was out there somewhere. Serge Reding's 228kg/501.6lb press.

Strong guy and a strong bounce! I highly doubt he could do that seated where he couldn't use his body to bounce it into motion for the pressing part of the movement!

Strong guy and a strong bounce! I highly doubt he could do that seated where he couldn't use his body to bounce it into motion for the pressing part of the movement!
    In my experience seated tends to be a lot easier for most folks as you can push against the bench for support. Even in the video of Kendall you posted, you can see he's got an arch to his back almost akin to doing an incline bench. Part of the reason why they ditched the press for the Olympics was because it was hard to judge, but make no mistake about it, Serge Reding was a strong dude in every way.

In my experience seated tends to be a lot easier for most folks as you can push against the bench for support. Even in the video of Kendall you posted, you can see he's got an arch to his back almost akin to doing an incline bench. Part of the reason why they ditched the press for the Olympics was because it was hard to judge, but make no mistake about it, Serge Reding was a strong dude in every way.
    He's got a arch to his back to allow the bar to come down past his head, If he was sitting straight up without being bent back then the bar can only go down to the top of his head! And Serge dude is very strong but I think that bounce helped him a lot! A average incline bench is done at 45 degrees or less, I do them at 30 degrees to remove emphasis from my front delt to my upper pec! Kendall is angled around 75 degrees! You also got to remember Derek is purely a powerlifter, Pressing from a seated position carries directly over to his benching, Doing standing military presses does nothing for him what so ever in terms of powerlifting, There is no carryover that is worth the risk when doing standing presses

This looks pretty straight up to me!

You can see a much more pronounced arch in his back when it gets heavier, so no it's not all that straight. He's also half repping everything. Sorry, not all that impressive to me. I'm far more impressed by the guy I posted earlier in the thread doing a standing press of 405.

You can see a much more pronounced arch in his back when it gets heavier, so no it's not all that straight. He's also half repping everything. Sorry, not all that impressive to me. I'm far more impressed by the guy I posted earlier in the thread doing a standing press of 405.
    Every person has their own view of impressive...personally, both lifters are extremely impressive in their llifts...as stated above, to unrack and press that much weight (regardless of your view of proper ROM) is highly impressive and something that less than 5% of the population will ever even dream of doing. But again, everybody is different.
    Athens Accomplice 34, Copper John DN 3, Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit, Doinker Stabilizer, Treelimb 5-Arrow Carbon Fiber Quiver
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"Gen. 27:3

I see it as akin to quarter squatting 1200 pounds. Sure it's 1200 pounds, but it's a quarter squat.

I see it as akin to quarter squatting 1200 pounds. Sure it's 1200 pounds, but it's a quarter squat.
    Actually he squats 1039lbs raw and holds the wr raw squat. Watch his front squat videos on youtube, Watching him front squat 800lbs ass to the grass is an amazing sight.

so a squat to 90 degrees/parallel is good or bad? His shoulder press in the first vid is 90 degrees, good enough in my book. Not good enough for you, that's fine...let's all just agree to disagree and acknowledge a strong dude. No way I will ever get close to thinking about overhead pressing 500lbs. Maybe you are almost there, or even surpassed that. But I can almost guarantee that if you could overhead press 500 to 90degrees you would be posting videos of yourself doing it on here.
    Athens Accomplice 34, Copper John DN 3, Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit, Doinker Stabilizer, Treelimb 5-Arrow Carbon Fiber Quiver
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"Gen. 27:3

Actually he squats 1039lbs raw and holds the wr raw squat.
    Depends on the organization, first of all. Hee actually hasn't beat Malanichev yet either. Kendall squatted 1037 in training but missed his 1019 at the June meet. Malanichev actually surpassed his last best with 1015.

Watch his front squat videos on youtube, Watching him front squat 800lbs ass to the grass is an amazing sight.
    Seen it, he's a strong dude. Not taking anything away from him, it's just 500 seated for a half rep isn't as awesome as seeing someone press 405 strict while standing.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.thorn318 View Post
    so a squat to 90 degrees/parallel is good or bad? His shoulder press in the first vid is 90 degrees, good enough in my book.
    Maybe in your book, but if you take it according to an organization that judges presses (say, North American Strongman) it wouldn't count.

Not good enough for you, that's fine...let's all just agree to disagree and acknowledge a strong dude.
    Agreed. I'm enjoying the race to the squat WR between he and Malachinev right now.

No way I will ever get close to thinking about overhead pressing 500lbs. Maybe you are almost there, or even surpassed that. But I can almost guarantee that if you could overhead press 500 to 90degrees you would be posting videos of yourself doing it on here.
    Not me. I'm not as big as him nor do I use the same supplements as him. Best overhead I ever managed was a clean and jerk in an Olympic weightlifting meet of 140kg/308 pounds in the under-85kg/187 pounds class. At the time my strict press was maybe 105kg/231 pounds or so. Long arms are great for pulling but suck for jerking.

Klokov posted a video on his facebook of him push pressing 496lbs. Was very impressive.
    2006 Bowtech Tribute - 60lbs / 29"
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter
    Apline Soft Loc 5 Arrow Quiver
    CX Maxima Hunter 250

Depends on the organization, first of all. Hee actually hasn't beat Malanichev yet either. Kendall squatted 1037 in training but missed his 1019 at the June meet. Malanichev actually surpassed his last best with 1015.

Seen it, he's a strong dude. Not taking anything away from him, it's just 500 seated for a half rep isn't as awesome as seeing someone press 405 strict while standing.
    He moved that bar a lot farther than a half rep more like 80% Rom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast