Archery Talk Forum banner

Had to have surgery, how long until I can shoot my bow?

1K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Bowtechforlife 
#1 ·
I had to have surgery on my shoulder because I tore my labrum. The surgery was June 13th so it's been a little over three weeks. The doctor had to screw 8 anchors in to tighten everything down. He planned on putting in 4 but apparently it was worse then he thought.

So for any of you that have experience with this how long until I can shoot my bow? I am going on an archery elk hunt in September and the doc says it should be fine by then. I am planning on turning my bow down to 60 lbs because I can tell I have already lost a ton of strength because I can't do anything and I'm still in a demobilizer.
Thanks!

#6 ·
Haha yes I know I will definitely wait for the doctors okay I was just wondering how long I will have to practice before the elk hunt?

#10 ·
4 months minimum. I had the same done in April, doc doesnt want me shooting until August. Really depends on what your doc says and how your recovery goes.

#12 ·
Had torn labrum and rotator cuff repair also. Had surgery in March and didn't shoot till August. Picked up my sons 36# bow in July and couldn't draw it! I was shooting 73# before. Finally bought a Vector 32 in August and could barely pull 51#. After starting to shoot I put about a round a week in limbs.
Do not rush it. Ask your pt and use common sense. You will know when your really ready.

#13 ·
I believe that surgery requires 6 weeks in sling and 6 weeks PT the last they told me. I never got mine fixed. So I'd say at least 3 months but regardless it's what the doc and the PT says. If it doesn't feel right then it isn't. Don't push too hard or you will pay dearly later.

#14 ·
Oh wow this is a real disappointment! I hope my doctor is right and that I can elk hunt. I can live with and take a lot if pain, but I am having separation issues with my bow because I can't shoot it lol!
Thanks for sharing you experiences and for those of you that have had this done recently good luck and get better!

#15 ·
Mate,
Take it from me. I have had hip issues and 9 weeks after my operation thinking I was ok went to the club shooting, and ended up back in hospital and my recovery has been put back heaps. DONT come back to early. It's not worth the headaches and being your shoulder, just wait it out

#17 ·
I'm sorry to hear that and thanks for the advice! Yeah I had torn the labrum two other times and just kept putting it off and kept shooting and lifting until I tore it the last time and couldn't raise it.... At all. So this time I am definitely going to let it heal! Good luck with your hip!

#18 ·
I had the exact same surgery March 7 of this year, take your rehab very serious & don't over do it. I shot my bow again for the first time on May 14th. I was a little shaky at first because I was so nervous, but the doctor told me it was ok to do it. At first I was only able to shoot 6-8 arrows a week. Now I'm back shooting with full confidence. Your muscles will be weak at first, but it'll come back pretty quick. Surgery was on my left shoulder, which is my bow arm, it was difficult at first to keep my pins on target without shaking from muscle weakness, but it came back pretty quick. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

#20 ·
Thanks for the reply! This is the first one that sounds promising! Hopefully my recovery will be like yours. Glad to hear your back to shooting with confidence!

#19 ·
Had mine done on April 23. I didn't have to have any screws or anything.

Went to my PT Thursday and he started me on a resistance band that mimics drawing a bow. So it's been 10 weeks and I just now started doing the exercise that mimics the motions. He said another 2 to 3 weeks before I could actually shoot. All of this and I have been doing "remarkably well" on my recovery thus far.

As others have said. Last thing you want to do is have to have surgery again because you couldn't wait to shoot your bow. Your DR & PT will tell you when it's ok. That being said, make sure they are on the same page. My PT had me doing excersizes one day and when I went to the DR the next day, the doc said "HELL NO!! Your not ready for those yet!!"

Wish you a speedy recovery! Keep us posted!

#21 ·
Thanks will do! I go to the pt tomorrow again and the pt I have tomorrow bow hunts so I will ask her and maybe she will know. My other pt and doc don't know much about bows or anything and they don't really understand when I ask them lol. Hopefully she will have some better info for me.

#23 ·
I believe it might come to this does anyone know if colorado lets you use them with the doctor recommendation?

#24 ·
Hey it depends on what the doc has to do to fix. If he doesn't have to cut-n-staple your tendons, it could be as early as 3 months. That's how long it too me to start drawing back 50Lb.
But if he has to cut into joint & tendons, it could be 6 months.

#27 ·
Well the therapist said that I won't be able to shoot my bow until end of august probably. My elk hunt is the third week of September! I don't know if I'll be ready

#30 ·
I had shoulder surgery in March 2012 no anchors though your surgery is more involved. I waited till PT was over and didn't pick up the bow for at least 3 months. I also used weighttraining to strengthen my shoulder light weights. I took my about a year to be completely pain free

#31 ·
Went back to pt yesterday he seems pretty confident that I should be ready because my range of motion is way better then they thought it would be. He says I'm healing fast! So I am pretty happy with that news.

Thanks everyone for the imput and experiences!

#32 ·
I tore my labrum in my right shoulder a few years ago. I never needed surgery, but I couldn't imagine pulling a bow back for at least 3 months afterwards... I couldnt raise my arm past the midpoint for over a month. I wouldn't want to risk missing more work and the possibilty of more expense with doctors and MRI's. Its just not worth it. The 1200 dollar MRI scan was enough to keep me from messing around.

#33 ·
Yeah we tried to avoid surgery and do pt but after like three weeks of therapy it wasn't getting better. We couldn't do all of the therapy we should have been able to do because it was too loose and would pop out of place. So the doc said he needed to go in and fix it.

#41 ·
Yep I feel your pain good luck with your recovery!

#35 ·
Good luck with your recovery.

Ok..so I live in Colorado and just now got off the phone with the main office in Denver inquiring about the Crossbow use during Archery Season. Normally Crossbows in this state can ONLY be used during Rifle Season but....

1. go to http://cpw.state.co.us
2. Across the top of the page, click on the Wheel Chair icon
3. on the next page , sroll down to the bottom and click on the link for Wildlife Recreation Accomodation Permit
4. Print out the form that comes up and both you and your Doctor will fill out the form.
5. Mail the completed form to the address listed on Page 3 of the Form step 5.

Get this done ASAP as it will take some time and hunting season begins the end of next month.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.