Thread: Early compound bow

Early compound bow

I have one of Fred's early compound bows. It is an Alaskan made in 1965 (determined by serial number) I bought this bow new and haven't shot it in years. I did crank down the limbs when I put it away. It is still in great condition, limbs, string and cables. I'm wondering what it's value might be. The bow could probably still be used for hunting but I think it may have more value to a collector. I also have the original manual. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Didn't know thay had compound bows back in 1965.

You could very well be correct. I read somewhere that Bear from 65 to 69, the SN started by year of manufacture. My serial number starts with a five, that's how I came up with 1965. The more I think about it, I was still using my Kodiak Magnum recurve in the mid sixties. I traded that bow towards the compound, could have been early seventies. I may check with Bear to see if they can shed some light on it. Thanks for your input.

Update and correction!! I checked with Bear and was told it was manufactured in 1975 not in 1965 as I first thought. So it's only forty years old not fifty!