Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Deer mount camd back...dont like the half smile but oh well

2013 Deer mount camd back...dont like the half smile but oh well

got my mount back and im not impressed with the half smile nor the workmanship but it is what it is...just thought id share it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400
    grim reaper and grave digger broadheads

He died happy! Nice buck.
    Destroyer 350
    **Teaching a kid to hunt today helps insure our sport for tomorrow**

if your not happy take it back and have them do it again or take it to someone who you think can do a better job on it. you paid good money on that mount and every time you go to look at it you want it to look like it did in that moment that you were there.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    got my mount back and im not impressed with the half smile nor the workmanship but it is what it is...just thought id share it.
    Just have to put it up higher. We've got a few mounts that the workmanship is so-so. They just go higher than the ones that were done perfectly.
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

Yeah that smile is pretty crazy. The gap between the base of the ears and the head also looks suspect, and the eyes are terrible but the shape of the upper lid looks a little like a cartoon. I don't mean to rain on someone's parade, but at the very least I wouldn't recommend that taxidermist to anyone.
    2013 Elite Answer, five pins, and a whisker biscuit

Nice rack at least!!
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

I wouldn't be happy either, especially from a state with so many talented taxidermist.

sorry the smile is no problem,the ear is what gets me.
    reezen 7.0 67#@30.5 409gr--304fps
    340 65#@31' 409gr--311fps

Who really got the last laugh.?
    Shoot straight!

What form is that by chance? I have a mount that has a smile to it, and it looks something similar to that smile, but it definitely does not have that extreme of a smile to it. I felt similarly to what you did, but I liked my taxidermist, and I didn't want to make him feel bad due to him spending a lot of time on the mount. It wasn't a bad job, I just expected certain anatomy issues to be alittle more symmetric. Some forms are easier to mount on than others, but most of the time it matters who is doing the work. It looks like you have a beautiful plaque to your mount. I wanted something similar to that, but I haven't got around to making that yet.

Another question I have is.. Did you take time to research this taxidermist prior to you harvesting this buck? It's important to research someone before you take you trophy to them. That way you have a good idea of what your going to get in terms of quality by looking at the mounts or photos of mounts that the particular taxidermist has done.

Your mount isn't a horrible mount, but there are things that could of been done a little better. I hope that your taxidermist is a reasonable guy, and would make some kind of deal with you due to your disappointment. Keep us posted if you decide to contact your taxidermist about this matter.

I've seen much worse.

Looks fine to me. Not great, but good enough....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Lol, he is definitely smiling at you. Not tge best work I've seen but also not the worst.
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

That's a let down for sure, Definitely hang it high!!!
    JOE
    TEAM #43
    BACKWOODS BEATDOWN

I'd be just as disappointed as you are. Last one I had done looked like the taxi used a doe form to make it easier to mount, and the top was sunk in as if he didn't fill in the top. That's the main reason why I do all euro's now, myself. My mounts never came back looking like the deer I shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDraw101 View Post
    What form is that by chance? I have a mount that has a smile to it, and it looks something similar to that smile, but it definitely does not have that extreme of a smile to it. I felt similarly to what you did, but I liked my taxidermist, and I didn't want to make him feel bad due to him spending a lot of time on the mount. It wasn't a bad job, I just expected certain anatomy issues to be alittle more symmetric. Some forms are easier to mount on than others, but most of the time it matters who is doing the work. It looks like you have a beautiful plaque to your mount. I wanted something similar to that, but I haven't got around to making that yet.

Another question I have is.. Did you take time to research this taxidermist prior to you harvesting this buck? It's important to research someone before you take you trophy to them. That way you have a good idea of what your going to get in terms of quality by looking at the mounts or photos of mounts that the particular taxidermist has done.

Your mount isn't a horrible mount, but there are things that could of been done a little better. I hope that your taxidermist is a reasonable guy, and would make some kind of deal with you due to your disappointment. Keep us posted if you decide to contact your taxidermist about this matter.
    It is actually a mule deer form...he had to do this since it was a VERY large over 200lb dressed out buck from Wisconsin and the regular whitetail mold was not cutting it...or so he said. Unfortunately I live in NY and the taxidermist is in Wisconsin, so I really cant just stop on by his shop. I went on a hunt with my father-in-law and this was the taxidermist that was suggested by locals.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Quote Originally Posted by Victory357 View Post
    Yeah that smile is pretty crazy. The gap between the base of the ears and the head also looks suspect, and the eyes are terrible but the shape of the upper lid looks a little like a cartoon. I don't mean to rain on someone's parade, but at the very least I wouldn't recommend that taxidermist to anyone.
    those are all the same things that really bug me PLUS he actually split the cape down the back of the neck and it looks like the freakin deer has a Mohawk...which fortunately you cant see unless you stand to the side and get really close. I think im just going to go to one of our local taxis and have him re-cape the mount. No it wont look like the deer I actually bagged but this one really does not anyways.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Nice rack
    I have seen worse mounts and some of them have been a lot worse, but I would take it with the taxidermist if I was you, because the job he has done is not what I would accept to pay money for.
    Specially the smile is bad. It looks like it is done on purpose as a joke and other parts are not very good too.

Personally I usually make my own euro mounts instead as there are rather far between great taxidermists and usually they are rather pricey(at least you get what you pay for with them) and they usually have plenty of work, so you very often need to wait for a very long time to get your mount home.
    And I also like the look of the euro mounts

Thats too good of a buck for a subpar taxidermy job. I have a ton of taxidermists to go to here in southeast michigan, but I drive 3.5 hours to the west side to drop my deer off, worth it for something that you'll look at for a lifetime
    Elite Energy 35 84lbs 30" Easton FMJ 510 grains 293fps
    Hoyt Buffalo Recurve 71lbs @ 30" Beman Nightfall 300s
    Bowtech Tribute 104lbs 30" Easton FMJ Dangerous Game 250

It is actually a mule deer form...he had to do this since it was a VERY large over 200lb dressed out buck from Wisconsin and the regular whitetail mold was not cutting it...or so he said. Unfortunately I live in NY and the taxidermist is in Wisconsin, so I really cant just stop on by his shop. I went on a hunt with my father-in-law and this was the taxidermist that was suggested by locals.
    those are all the same things that really bug me PLUS he actually split the cape down the back of the neck and it looks like the freakin deer has a Mohawk...which fortunately you cant see unless you stand to the side and get really close. I think im just going to go to one of our local taxis and have him re-cape the mount. No it wont look like the deer I actually bagged but this one really does not anyways.
    They make WT forms plenty big for any deer that comes out of WI, he's just making excuses for poor work. Good choice on going to somebody else, the guy that let that leave his shop obviously isn't interested (or possibly capable) doing a better job.

Nice buck BTW!
    '12 Elite Answer 60#

Nice buck and I like the plaque its mounted on. Maybe the taxi was smoking something and the buck got second hand causing the smirk

That's a tough situation for a remount - at least it would be for me. Depending on the quality of other work such as the condition on the hide / tanning job / slipping / amount of hide paste used. If your'e going to get it redone take it to a quality taxi. If not, rehydrate the lip / jaw area yourself, pull it down and glue / pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by PY Bucks View Post
    Who really got the last laugh.?
    Haha.

Care to share the shop name? Perhaps by PM if you'd prefer that. Got to make sure I avoid it.
    ArcheryShack Field Staff http://www.archeryshackstrings.com
    IQ Bowsight Pro Staff
    2013 Athens Afflixtion
    08 Mathews Drenalin
    PSE Gamesport- Old but still shoots straight

Very nice buck and congrats on that. As for you taxidermist saying that he couldn't find a for a 200lb + deer that should be an indication not to use him again. I have two on my wall right now that were around that and look fine. There are a ton of deer that big killed every year that are mounted without having to use a "mule deer form"
    TEAM 3 carbon injection
    2013 Mathews Creed
    Truglo micro bright 5 pin site
    NAP apache rest
    Limbsaver stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by CDV View Post
    He died happy! Nice buck.

haha.. very nice buck
    Mathews Creed
    HHO Optimizer 5019
    Beman ICS Hunter 400
    NAP SpitFire Maxx