Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Deer mount camd back...dont like the half smile but oh well

That's a great buck but the mount looks like a cartoon deer.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    It is actually a mule deer form...he had to do this since it was a VERY large over 200lb dressed out buck from Wisconsin and the regular whitetail mold was not cutting it...or so he said. Unfortunately I live in NY and the taxidermist is in Wisconsin, so I really cant just stop on by his shop. I went on a hunt with my father-in-law and this was the taxidermist that was suggested by locals.
    If he told you that he needs to do a ton of research. Like others said there are plenty of bigger whitetail forms. Ear butts are deformed, ears are not crisp. They looked wrinkled. Find a new taxi and they might be able to rehydrate the cape and remount it. See if your new taxi can use a Revolution form. They are made in WI. Even the antler set looks wrong but that might be the angle of the pic. Can you post some side pics?

Quote Originally Posted by CDV View Post
    He died happy! Nice buck.
    Did you shoot him while he was mounting a doe?
    Mathews Chill-X 70#
    Montana Black Gold Ascent 3-pin Sight
    QAD Ultra Rest/AXT Carbon Vapor Quiver
    NAP Apache 8" Stabilizer/Carbon Express Mayhem 350 Hunter Arrows
    100 gr. Grim Reaper Broadheads

Great buck, terrible taxidermy job. It actually made me laugh. I'd make the taxidermists life miserable until I got my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTRDAN View Post
    Did you shoot him while he was mounting a doe?
    Funny you should say that...he actually finished fighting 3 other bucks off when I shot him so he might have been smiling because he won those fights lol
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400
    grim reaper and grave digger broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by asmith4 View Post
    If he told you that he needs to do a ton of research. Like others said there are plenty of bigger whitetail forms. Ear butts are deformed, ears are not crisp. They looked wrinkled. Find a new taxi and they might be able to rehydrate the cape and remount it. See if your new taxi can use a Revolution form. They are made in WI. Even the antler set looks wrong but that might be the angle of the pic. Can you post some side pics?
    I am on a business trip until Friday so I will take pictures when I get home and post them up but I know the inside spread is not even right. When I measured on the buck it was close to 17.5 but right now it is at 16inches. The tip to tip spread is also off by 1-2 inches or so. He has them turned in slightly I think. The tip to tip spread was an estimate though, I basically could almost touch one tip to the other using my thumb and pinky of my right hand and now I can touch them easily (not stretching my thumb and pinky out) if that makes sense. The ear pocket itself was not his fault...it was actually torn by the other bucks during the fight I think...the ear was split half way down when I found him but how it was attempted to be fixed and how the ear itself sticks out of the mount looks awful.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Quote Originally Posted by 64220511473out! View Post
    Great buck, terrible taxidermy job. It actually made me laugh. I'd make the taxidermists life miserable until I got my money back.
    Ive tried calling, emailing him, and texting him with no responses.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Also,
    about rehydrating...I dont know if I want them to even try that for a couple reasons...he cut the deer cape down the neck from the head all the way down on the back. You can easily see it if you look close enough, not sure a taxidermist could hide that, and my father-in-laws mount, done by the same guy, is already losing hair due to hair slipping. Mine is not, but who knows? Id rather just have it recaped by someone who is great and be done with it.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Deer was shot in a cheese State, might be why the deer is saying Cheese in the mount...just get another cape and have a better Taxidermist fix it. Congrats on the buck
    13 PSE Omen Max 27" DL 70#
    08 PSE Money Maker X LF # 70 27"DL
    07 PSE X-Force HF 6 #70 26"DL
    Vortex Razor 10x42
    GT Ultra light pro 300-400 GT Pro X-Cutter GT Kinetic XT 300

I am on a business trip until Friday so I will take pictures when I get home and post them up but I know the inside spread is not even right. When I measured on the buck it was close to 17.5 but right now it is at 16inches. The tip to tip spread is also off by 1-2 inches or so. He has them turned in slightly I think. The tip to tip spread was an estimate though, I basically could almost touch one tip to the other using my thumb and pinky of my right hand and now I can touch them easily (not stretching my thumb and pinky out) if that makes sense. The ear pocket itself was not his fault...it was actually torn by the other bucks during the fight I think...the ear was split half way down when I found him but how it was attempted to be fixed and how the ear itself sticks out of the mount looks awful.
    Also,
    about rehydrating...I dont know if I want them to even try that for a couple reasons...he cut the deer cape down the neck from the head all the way down on the back. You can easily see it if you look close enough, not sure a taxidermist could hide that, and my father-in-laws mount, done by the same guy, is already losing hair due to hair slipping. Mine is not, but who knows? Id rather just have it recaped by someone who is great and be done with it.
    some shrinkage is normal. He could have broken the skull plate if things are way off, but would i doubt that happened. When you say ear pocket do you the base fo the ear or the ear itself. Anything can be fixed. The ear itself just looks wavy to me. Being cut down the back wouldnt be a huge deal just more sewing. If he knew what he was doing you wouldnt be able to see it at all. But if you just want a different cape i understand that too. If hair is slipping out i would say he didnt tan it correctly

some shrinkage is normal. He could have broken the skull plate if things are way off, but would i doubt that happened. When you say ear pocket do you the base fo the ear or the ear itself. Anything can be fixed. The ear itself just looks wavy to me. Being cut down the back wouldnt be a huge deal just more sewing. If he knew what he was doing you wouldnt be able to see it at all. But if you just want a different cape i understand that too. If hair is slipping out i would say he didnt tan it correctly
    Well its hard to tell how much the rack has changed. I only have one pic of me and the deer before mounting, but the space between the left and right main-frame tips definitely looks smaller now. Again, I remember when fanning out my thumb and pinky I couldnt really touch the tips but now I can easily touch them so it is like they have became 1-2 inches or more closer together. Could this be due to shrinkage? i guess. I think at this point I may just go with a new cape. My father-in-laws hair is slipping pretty badly, which makes me fear this will eventually happen to this one too but its possible it wont. If im going to be paying big bucks to have it fixed (while taking a chance it may start slipping) or paying big bucks simply to have it remounted...I think im just going to have it remounted, sure it wont look like the exact same deer I orignally had but at least it will be done right and look much better. By ear pocket, I meant it was torn from the tip of the ear to about 2/3s of the way toward the base/ear canal. Like torn completely though so the ear was now two separate flaps.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

This kills me !!! You, the OP did all the work to kill such a beautiful deer and then the taxidermist does this. I would be heart broken. I guess I got really lucky because I literally cannot say enough good things about the fella who did my buck from last year.

I feel really bad for you.
    Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

That stinks OP. I don't have it in me to do that to someone. Where has pride in Craftsmanship gone?

I'd have it redone with a new cape by a reputable taxidermist.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkeife View Post
    Care to share the shop name? Perhaps by PM if you'd prefer that. Got to make sure I avoid it.
    Shop name OP?
    ArcheryShack Field Staff http://www.archeryshackstrings.com
    IQ Bowsight Pro Staff
    2013 Athens Afflixtion
    08 Mathews Drenalin
    PSE Gamesport- Old but still shoots straight

Quote Originally Posted by jerkeife View Post
    Shop name OP?
    Timbercreek Taxidermy
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Timbercreek Taxidermy
    Thanks.
    ArcheryShack Field Staff http://www.archeryshackstrings.com
    IQ Bowsight Pro Staff
    2013 Athens Afflixtion
    08 Mathews Drenalin
    PSE Gamesport- Old but still shoots straight

Yeah that's bad work... I got a few I let my cousin do that hide out in a back room that are worse than that though...

I gladly pay my taxidermist $375-$450 for a A+++ shoulder mount now with no regrets on what it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by rmscustom View Post
    Yeah that's bad work... I got a few I let my cousin do that hide out in a back room that are worse than that though...

I gladly pay my taxidermist $375-$450 for a A+++ shoulder mount now with no regrets on what it costs.
    lol thats cheap...mine was $550, not including shipping. Everywhere I have called locally here in NY is between 500-600. I will glady pay that as long as the mount comes out perfect.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

lol thats cheap...mine was $550, not including shipping. Everywhere I have called locally here in NY is between 500-600. I will glady pay that as long as the mount comes out perfect.
    Wooa, You kidding right? I feel so sorry for you, man. It just sounds like he either isn't really good at his trade or he is just starting out. I'd be curious to witness some of his other work to tell whether your mount was just a fluke or if he seriously shouldn't be charging $550. There are some people down here that will do work for $360 - $375 and they look better than that. He needs to make right on this. For $550 this is completely unacceptable work. Wisconsin is one of the Whitetail Meccas, and has many solid taxidermist who I'm sure do way better work for $550 than that.

That sucks... From what I hear you can get a shoulder mount in my area around $300 if your bargain shopping and some people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them how much I pay.

Quote Originally Posted by py bucks View Post
    who really got the last laugh.?
    lmao!!!

2013 Deer mount camd back...dont like the half smile but oh well

Quote Originally Posted by rmscustom View Post
    That sucks... From what I hear you can get a shoulder mount in my area around $300 if your bargain shopping and some people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them how much I pay.
    Yeah, but do YOUR mounts look like they are going to start singing if you push a button? Probly not, all this one is missing is a hat an some sunglasses...id go get my money back..
    Last edited by ProArcher1986; July 10th, 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: mis spell

Well its hard to tell how much the rack has changed. I only have one pic of me and the deer before mounting, but the space between the left and right main-frame tips definitely looks smaller now. Again, I remember when fanning out my thumb and pinky I couldnt really touch the tips but now I can easily touch them so it is like they have became 1-2 inches or more closer together. Could this be due to shrinkage? i guess. I think at this point I may just go with a new cape. My father-in-laws hair is slipping pretty badly, which makes me fear this will eventually happen to this one too but its possible it wont. If im going to be paying big bucks to have it fixed (while taking a chance it may start slipping) or paying big bucks simply to have it remounted...I think im just going to have it remounted, sure it wont look like the exact same deer I orignally had but at least it will be done right and look much better. By ear pocket, I meant it was torn from the tip of the ear to about 2/3s of the way toward the base/ear canal. Like torn completely though so the ear was now two separate flaps.
    still seems like alot of shrinkage. You are probably right just getting a new cape with already having one slip out after its dried.. The ear still shouldnt look like that. he should have been able to mount it with 2 separate flaps unless you didnt want it separate..

Quote Originally Posted by ProArcher1986 View Post
    Yeah, but do YOUR mounts look like they are going to start singing if you push a button? Probly not, all this one is missing is a hat an some sunglasses...id go get my money back..
    I would love to get my money back but I am in NY and he is in Wisconsin...
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Great buck but sorry the mount didn't turn out. I know from first had experience how frustrating that is. The first I ever got mounted weighed in at 220 lbs. live weight. Thats well above average for a mature buck from my area of Arkansas. The taxidermist put it on a 19" form I believe. It looks like a 140 lb Texas deer. The rack does look bigger though. Ive had things go the other way too though. I killed a 140" 8 point in Arkansas 3 years ago and I was going to do a euro mount on him. A good friend of mine from Alabama threw a fit when I told him I wasn't going to spend the money to mount him. Obviously from his area in Alabama a 140" deer is huge. It was big to me but just not big enough to mount. Long story short he talked me into letting his buddy in Alabama mount it. I figured it would be destined to go in the barn and not worthy of the house. I got it back a year later and the mount is excellent. Really good when it only cost $200. So maybe your next one will turn out like my $200 mount. It was good enough that I sent last years buck to Alabama for another cheap mount. Hope it turns out as good as the first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast