Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Deer mount camd back...dont like the half smile but oh well

I went by word of mouth and will not look anywhere else. He had a show room full of mounts for me to look at and use as examples. He asked about ear position, which way it should be looking, every detail imaginable. He took measurements while I was standing there. I got it back in 3 months and everyone who has seen it has been blown away by the quality. Mine was $450 with the wood plaque. The plaque added $100. I have seen some of his Bobcats and now I want to get one with a bow. I guess I will count my blessings that I found someone so good on my first deer.

Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

DO OVER !! I would be livid , not acceptable in my house . I cant believe he said he used a mule deer form, muleys dont really smile either . The guy was not a taxidermist at all , my self mounted ones are better than this work .
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb. My black lab Darla
    Vortex Optics - Bluff Country Bowstrings
    Tru-Fire releases

Yeah I'd be upset especially at that price...250 to 500$ is the norm around West Virginia and Ohio and my 2 guys I go to charge 300 and do great work ones better than the other but the less skilled of the 2 gets me my deer back fast sumtimes before New Years.. And that's a plus also..

I'd hang it high see if you could live with it if not remount it.

Again sorry for your loss...
    ~~~And all you touch and all you see. Is all your life will ever be~~
    "P.Floyd"

If you don't mind me asking, what did that mount cost you? You get what you pay for.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30
    Qad HDX rest
    MBG Vengeance
    8.5" B-stinger

I've seen much worse. Did you look at any of the guys work before you said "go ahead and mount it" Also, did you pay top dollar? There are taxidermist's here that charge as much as 750 for a shoulder mount on a pedestal and there is some that only charge 250 for a shoulder mount on either the wall or a plaque. It looks just fine and now you can enjoy it and relive the memories for a long time. I would, it's a nice buck.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

I played 600 with the plaque. he went over details with me and seemed very professional. showed me some work he did which was also good. he asked about ear position bead turn and such. but I no way does this mount reflect what he showed me.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400
    grim reaper and grave digger broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by deer310sg View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what did that mount cost you? You get what you pay for.
    I paid 600$ with the plaque.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    I'd be livid.
    Kwik-Strap ProStaff....... kinda
    Quote Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
    Pinski you are the Archery innovator of the decade.
    Vortex Optics
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1061263717 The Great Mongrel Thread

I played 600 with the plaque. he went over details with me and seemed very professional. showed me some work he did which was also good. he asked about ear position bead turn and such. but I no way does this mount reflect what he showed me.
    Wow, this story gets more unbelievable with each post (But I believe it!). I wish this particular taxi had a website. There doesn't appear to be any. Don't want to run the guy down, but He definitely needs to make right on this deal. The fact that he showed you better work first, and then puts this work out is quite unprofessional. But yet, we don't have his side of story.

Can you post more pics of the mount if you don't mind? it would be interesting in taking a look at the mount from different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDraw101 View Post
    Wow, this story gets more unbelievable with each post (But I believe it!). I wish this particular taxi had a website. There doesn't appear to be any. Don't want to run the guy down, but He definitely needs to make right on this deal. The fact that he showed you better work first, and then puts this work out is quite unprofessional. But yet, we don't have his side of story.

Can you post more pics of the mount if you don't mind? it would be interesting in taking a look at the mount from different angles.
    I am on a business trip now but I will definitely take more pics and post them saturday. my father-in-law and I both got our deer back the same time and his is just as bad too!
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

I am on a business trip now but I will definitely take more pics and post them saturday. my father-in-law and I both got our deer back the same time and his is just as bad too!
    Did your father-in-law have his mount completed by the same Taxi, too?

I would love to get my money back but I am in NY and he is in Wisconsin...
    Oh crap...thats a bad deal man...i feel for ya

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDraw101 View Post
    Did your father-in-law have his mount completed by the same Taxi, too?
    yeah sir he did and thats why I know it was not a one time error on the taxis end.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Sorry to hear, and see, about your mount.

I honestly can't believe a WI taxidermist would tell someone they had to use a mule deer form for a WI whitetail because of size. This taxidermist is in good whitetail hunting country and has to know / seen whitetails that big. He's also two hours from Revolution Taxidermy which makes some pretty nice forms.

I think it looks nice. Not sure I woulda noticed the half smile if it wasn't pointed out. But since you did, it makes me chuckle.....like the buck feels somehow like the joke is on you......or that he just farted.

Quote Originally Posted by pinski79 View Post
    I'd be livid.
    I might be on the inside but I don't know that I would show it on the outside. My wife is what you would call a driver/expressive personality...you know exactly what she thinks in no uncertain terms. I've watched her burn many a bridge. I'm what they describe as amiable/analytical...what she calls a pushover. Maybe, but once the damage has been done...

Here's my bear. This is a pic the taxidermist sent me and I'm leaving within the hour to go pick it up. I had very little input into this mount because he didn't respond/correspond very well with me. Look at the feet, they don't look natural to me. It will hang from the wall but I would have probably chosen a floor mount on a rock base opposed to the tree he unilaterally decided on. It's probably going to ruin a two thousand dollar bill. I hope I can live with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.

flying arrow.jpgWow sorry to hear about your dealings. Send me your deer I'll remount it for you. As for size do you know any of the measurements? If he couldn't find a whitetail form than he didn't look hard enough. What part of NY are you in?
    Mathews Regional Factory Pro Staff, Sure-Loc,
    Easton Archery, Stanislawski Archery Products, Bee Stinger Products, and
    Ramcat Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by nyarcher View Post
    flying arrow.jpgWow sorry to hear about your dealings. Send me your deer I'll remount it for you. As for size do you know any of the measurements? If he couldn't find a whitetail form than he didn't look hard enough. What part of NY are you in?
    Wow, talk about making right on a deal! Nyarcher, that is a really nice gesture on your part. Hopefully, your work will 'speak for itself' if the OP decides to take you up on that deal. It's these kind of gestures that helps renew your attitude towards humanity, again.

And that's why I euro everything.
    There are a lot of things in life I would have enjoyed... if only I would have known I would live through them.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    "I hate chiggers."

It is actually a mule deer form...he had to do this since it was a VERY large over 200lb dressed out buck from Wisconsin and the regular whitetail mold was not cutting it...or so he said. Unfortunately I live in NY and the taxidermist is in Wisconsin, so I really cant just stop on by his shop. I went on a hunt with my father-in-law and this was the taxidermist that was suggested by locals.
    You need to check out Black Wolf taxidermy near Oswego, ny. He does a fantastic job!
    2013 Martin Onza XT 70# 29" Extreme Ranger Single Pin Sight with G5 magloc quiver attached Ripcord Code Red Trophy Ridge Static Stabilizer Easton Bloodline 330 tipped with Rage Extremes at around 410gr
    Martin Jaguar Takedown 40# 28". Beman ICS Hunters 400 tipped with Magnus

Good on you buddy! Nice to see there are still some decent people left in this world!!
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

I live in clifton park...near albany. that mount looks really nice.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Quote Originally Posted by sinko View Post
    And that's why I euro everything.
    I'm with ya
    Kwik-Strap ProStaff....... kinda
    Quote Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
    Pinski you are the Archery innovator of the decade.
    Vortex Optics
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1061263717 The Great Mongrel Thread

I'd be ticked.

What a gracious offer brother....
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast