Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2013 Deer mount camd back...dont like the half smile but oh well

Did your taxidermist stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

AKA "The Freelance Bowhunter"

Quote Originally Posted by Whack/Stack View Post
    Did your taxidermist stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
    lol I have no idea?
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400
    grim reaper and grave digger broadheads

great buck but id be disappointed as well
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Just got home from business trip and was able to take more pics. The first and third pic show the stitching down the deers back...makes it like a mohawk. In the first pic yopu can notice that one ear is bigger than the other due to him not fixing the split correctly. And then the upclose pic of the nose shows the nose eye region just looks weird.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Unreal! Do you have any pictures from each side angle? Is there a smile on both sides? I wonder if its a DP Mount.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDraw101 View Post
    Unreal! Do you have any pictures from each side angle? Is there a smile on both sides? I wonder if its a DP Mount.
    I can get more pics tomorrow but no there is not a smile on the other side
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Bummer. No need for more pics. He's just not a talented taxidermist. No point asking him to redo anything because he won't be able to do better. No point asking for money back because he did what he was paid to do. He just has limited talent.

Quote Originally Posted by nyarcher View Post
    Attachment 1990372Wow sorry to hear about your dealings. Send me your deer I'll remount it for you. As for size do you know any of the measurements? If he couldn't find a whitetail form than he didn't look hard enough. What part of NY are you in?
    That is awesome, what a great gesture!

And nice mount, you have some mad skills!
    "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."
    Teddy Roosevelt

Hard lesson learned. Thats horrible! Id have it redone. Theres really nothing right about it.
    " YOU GOTTA WANT IT!"

Bad Taxi work all around....If it were me i would let him know about it, and ask for my money back to pay another Taxidermist too do it right....Then send the Taxidermist pictures before and after, how it was suppose to look.......
    2005 C.P ONEIDA BLACK EAGLE-TRU GLO 6 PIN SIGHT-LIMB SAVER STAB.-3-D ROVER TM.HUNTER REST-60 LBS.-31 IN. DL.-301/2 IN. 2413.XX78 ARROW..MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.WISHED I HAD SOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksliver View Post
    They make WT forms plenty big for any deer that comes out of WI, he's just making excuses for poor work. Good choice on going to somebody else, the guy that let that leave his shop obviously isn't interested (or possibly capable) doing a better job.

Nice buck BTW!
    Totally agree. His tale of using a mule deer mount is just plain stupid. I killed a monster bodied buck , wide rack but hardly any tine length 7 point , that was aged at 9.5 years old. I only mounted him because of the huge body and the fact that I had hunted him for 5 years. His rack was severely diminished but the buck guaranteed dressed out at 200 lbs. or close to it , never actually weighed him but he was huge compared to many other , bigger racked bucks that I have killed and seen killed, and my taxidermist had no problem finding a semi sneak McKenzie whitetail mount with a slight left turn to mount him with.
    I will take a pic and post it soon if you would like , but my deer , body wise was huge , and I think that your taxidermist was just searching for an excuse. It is an awesome deer with an awesome rack , and definitely deserved better than that in my opinion. Great buck for sure and if you can live with it then there is nothing wrong with that either.
    Bow, arrows , and broadheads

You should call that dude a tell him to send your.money back
    BLACK CARBON OVERDRIVE
    BLACK RPM
    SUMMIT VIPER ELITE SD

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman7 View Post
    Totally agree. His tale of using a mule deer mount is just plain stupid. I killed a monster bodied buck , wide rack but hardly any tine length 7 point , that was aged at 9.5 years old. I only mounted him because of the huge body and the fact that I had hunted him for 5 years. His rack was severely diminished but the buck guaranteed dressed out at 200 lbs. or close to it , never actually weighed him but he was huge compared to many other , bigger racked bucks that I have killed and seen killed, and my taxidermist had no problem finding a semi sneak McKenzie whitetail mount with a slight left turn to mount him with.
    I will take a pic and post it soon if you would like , but my deer , body wise was huge , and I think that your taxidermist was just searching for an excuse. It is an awesome deer with an awesome rack , and definitely deserved better than that in my opinion. Great buck for sure and if you can live with it then there is nothing wrong with that either.
    I can live with until I find a great taxidermist to recape it later down the road. I doubt they could fix it with the current cape by maybe.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    I can live with until I find a great taxidermist to recape it later down the road. I doubt they could fix it with the current cape by maybe.
    Probably not with the same cape, especially since it is split down the middle of the back like that. A buck that good deserves a great mount. Sorry that the taxidermist screwed you over . I go to a great taxidermist in TN, but that probably would'nt help you much...
    Bow, arrows , and broadheads

Many taxis split capes all the way down the back, that is the least of the issues for this buck. Whether it was tanned correctly is the big problem. What he used to rebuild the nodules on the nose is another to a lesser degree. There are only a few things a good taxi can't fix.
    '12 Elite Answer 60#

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksliver View Post
    Many taxis split capes all the way down the back, that is the least of the issues for this buck. Whether it was tanned correctly is the big problem. What he used to rebuild the nodules on the nose is another to a lesser degree. There are only a few things a good taxi can't fix.
    i am definitely in the process of finding a great taxi because I do want the mount to look great. this was definitely by far my largest buck both body and rack size and could very well be one of the largest in my life
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

That buck is one smug son of a *****! In all seriousness, no way in hell I'd accept that. Talk to the shop or take it elsewhere. I'm sure at least the smile can be fixed. Another taxidermist may even give you a huge discount to grab you business for the future.

Wow man he just butchered that deer. There is nothing right on it. I agree with quicksilver that the split is the least of the worries. Its just a piss poor sewing job. Id remount it for you but it would prob cost way to much for you to ship it. Good luck

Is it possible that the buck had a mane? Believe it or not, whitetails can have manes similar to but not usually as pronounced as those seen on horses.

Quote Originally Posted by BagginBigguns View Post
    Is it possible that the buck had a mane? Believe it or not, whitetails can have manes similar to but not usually as pronounced as those seen on horses.
    I know that could happen but this one definitely did not have a mane, plus you can really feel the stitching underneath causing the hair to stick up like that. I remember this buck like it was yesterday because it was the largest (both rack and body) deer I have shot to date and it was a hunt with my father-in-law that I will never forget.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

well I have a replacement cape on the way. It should be all done and back to Bigeclipse in about 4 - 6 weeks. I will post pictures as it goes.
    Mathews Regional Factory Pro Staff, Sure-Loc,
    Easton Archery, Stanislawski Archery Products, Bee Stinger Products, and
    Ramcat Broadheads.

Congrats on a great buck! I couldn't live with the mount though
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

Quote Originally Posted by nyarcher View Post
    well I have a replacement cape on the way. It should be all done and back to Bigeclipse in about 4 - 6 weeks. I will post pictures as it goes.
    Thanks nyarcher...I'm really thankful you are helping me out!

Quote Originally Posted by APAsuphan View Post
    Congrats on a great buck! I couldn't live with the mount though
    Thats why I am getting it re-done. nyarcher (a forum member on here) decided to help me out for all the trouble the Wisconsin taxidermist caused me.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Just wanted everyone to know I started a thank-you/shout-out thread here http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2282416
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    60lbs 28in draw
    Easton axis .400

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234