Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my work cut out for me.

Wink Got my work cut out for me.

I finally went up and got my blanks from the wood company. I actually bought the tree that this wood comes from back in 1979.

The slabs (I had 2 cut out) are 3" thick, so plenty of extra wood for finger guards. I decided to NOT paint them red though. Plenty of extra wood to be worked down so I can get the eye alignment with the scope just right. Length of pull is short because I will be using Morgan adjustable butt pads to get the best fit. Lots of work here, and lots of family work and committments will slow the progress on this. I ain't Aging, but I will take a run at this. As a cool coincidence, the sniper trigger I bought from Spike Country should be here soon, so I'd have to take my SS rail out of that stock anyway.

The .308 stock is made from the same wood, with just a little more figure. It gives a good idea of the color when finished. It is amazing how different the crossbow stock has to be compared to a rifle stock to get a similar fit and function.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

I admire you guy's that have enough talent to do this stuff....

Mike
    Vent 150
    Solution LS 390
    Crossbow Warriors Pro Staff
    http://www.crossbowwarriors.com

Looks fun. Keep us updated with pics of the progress.
    Obsession Evolution | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Stabilizer | Stryker Solution LS 390

That .308 stock is beautiful Joe! Did you make that one too?

~E

Yeah, Keith. I made that one for my youngest son, the real hunter of the 3. That was the first stock I made in about 20 years though. I did a bunch of stock work for a shop before getting married.
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

Well, it looks like you've got the touch. Beautiful work as I said.

I'm curious to see how this new one works out. Specifically, the finger-guard wings carved right in from the same piece wood should be really nice.

-keith

wow... nice !!! I can't wait to see the stock when you're finished !
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Wow, mucho respect for people that can do this kind of work. Please keep us posted.

Eric
    Nock down - Drag out!
    Obsession Phoenix, Sword Twilight Hunter, QAD HDX, GT5595
    Strykezone 350, XB30 compact, DCA 20" arrows
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Hawke 1.5x5x32 SR, BEE 22" w/Q nocks
    Show up on time, do your best, don't grumble about the outcome.

I've had a walnut blank in the shop attic for 6 years:-) It will probably still be there when I'm gone:-)
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE BUT.......

Very nice a nice wood stock would look great on my Tenpoint Shadow but I could not do that mine would be messed up nice job there.

Impressive. I took cabinetry and trim carpentry classes in college. I can do strait lines, no way could I carve or router a stock like that. You guys that can do that are great artists and woodworkers.
    Middleton 325/400SS - Hawke XB30 Compact SR - BE Executioners - Exodus Swept - Agingcrossbower Stock

This is a guitar my buddy built. He told me the top is Spalted Maple? Anyways I would love a stock made of the same stuff. The camera he used was crap so this pic doesn't do it justice......but it's purdy

Custom_guitar.jpg
    Obsession Evolution | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Stabilizer | Stryker Solution LS 390

I bet its going to look nice. You did a great job on the gun stock years ago. Pics along the way. Clint thats a nice guitar
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380
    Excalibur Ibex

Awesome guitar Clint, always wanted to learn how to play one.....

Mike
    Vent 150
    Solution LS 390
    Crossbow Warriors Pro Staff
    http://www.crossbowwarriors.com

Very nice guitar, Clint.

Moon, you've probably done everything else you could possibly do to a crossbow, why not give that walnut a shot?

That stock looks great Joe. And I bet the matrix stock will look better.
    Here's my encore muzzleloader stock.

Just can't get motivated to start on a crossbow stock lol.

I hope you post a pic now and then and let us ride along with ya.
    Just a down to earth Bowhunter.

Go for it Joe! We need more stock makers.

Cool Joe, What pattern are you going for? Classic or something with more contemporary lines?

Todd

Hey, ole Jeff is finally getting started! Keep us up to date, you know I will be slobbering all over the screen. I enjoy messing with the wooden stocks as much as with the bows themselves.
    Clint, a spalted maple stock would be dynamite! A blank might be a little hard to find and a little pricey, but I think you need one! Here's a pic of a chunk of spalted maple:
    spalted maple.jpg
    DTM SS330/SS355/SL390

Looking forward to the progress, Jeff!

Red face Lookie what else got here!

Thanks guys.

Todd, if my stock turns our half as well as you Exomag stock did, I will be very happy. The lines are mostly taken from the Excal stock, with some extra wood in the front of the grip to make a little more vertical hand position, and a higher comb so I don't have to add anything to get the eye alignment I want. Guess you can tell I am a classic stock guy, so it will be as classic as possible while retaining the function of the crossbow and having it fit me. Have not decided whether I will do a cheekpiece or not. It is extra work.

Very nice Encore stock, Joel. Is it maple or light walnut?

Mike, I am not another stock maker. I am a hack with a piece of walnut.

The Sniper Trigger from Spike Country got here this afternoon.
    I did not know it was coming with a scope mount too. The only other upgrades I can think of for this 355 would be a better string (in the works) and maybe a Guardian adf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Curly maple and Purple Heart. It's not much I found out I was in over my head real fast. Much easer to make bows. Stocks are hard my hats off to you stock makers.
    Just a down to earth Bowhunter.

Artist & true craftsman!
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr RamCats, & Firenocks. Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Quote Originally Posted by backnwhack View Post
    Hey, ole Jeff is finally getting started! Keep us up to date, you know I will be slobbering all over the screen. I enjoy messing with the wooden stocks as much as with the bows themselves.
    Clint, a spalted maple stock would be dynamite! A blank might be a little hard to find and a little pricey, but I think you need one! Here's a pic of a chunk of spalted maple:
    spalted maple.jpg
    That is absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rt2bowhunter View Post
    Curly maple and Purple Heart. It's not much I found out I was in over my head real fast. Much easer to make bows. Stocks are hard my hats off to you stock makers.
    Things you've done seem easier than new things. From the dozen or so self bows I tried to make, I'd say just the opposite, and I never tried a laminated bow. One thing for sure, a stock isn't going to blow up in your face when you're tillering it. LOL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast