Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got my work cut out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by backnwhack View Post
    Hey, ole Jeff is finally getting started! Keep us up to date, you know I will be slobbering all over the screen. I enjoy messing with the wooden stocks as much as with the bows themselves.
    Clint, a spalted maple stock would be dynamite! A blank might be a little hard to find and a little pricey, but I think you need one! Here's a pic of a chunk of spalted maple:
    Attachment 1990016
    The Chinese ... are making a paint now that has the exact same look. (full of lead & arsenic though ... LOL)
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

Going away for a week then start by inletting the rail. Couldn't wait to try the sniper trigger so I put it in the frankenbow. Very light with slight creep if I try to finesse it too much but nice. The non sniper trigger in the ss breaks like glass.

"It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

Thumbs up A little progress

Was away last week so progress is slow. Tried to drill out most of the channel for the rail the way I saw Mike (Aging) did it in his build along thread on Excal's forum. It went OK, but then my Harbor Freight drill press died, so my new best friend is the 3/4" flat chisel, sharpened up the the limits of my ability and it's rather soft steel. Just started to remove some wood other than the channel. There is a lot of wood to remove when the blank is 2 3/4" thick, but lots of wood for finger guards. I remember the wood originally being 3" thick, but I guess 35 years of drying took 1/4" of thickness away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

It's fun to follow the progress. Keep the pics coming.
    DTM SS330/SS355/SL390

Good luck with your project, can't wait to see it when finished.
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Looks like difficult work. Lol.
    Middleton 325/400SS - Hawke XB30 Compact SR - BE Executioners - Exodus Swept - Agingcrossbower Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JOE PA View Post
    Was away last week so progress is slow. Tried to drill out most of the channel for the rail the way I saw Mike (Aging) did it in his build along thread on Excal's forum. It went OK, but then my Harbor Freight drill press died, so my new best friend is the 3/4" flat chisel, sharpened up the the limits of my ability and it's rather soft steel. Just started to remove some wood other than the channel. There is a lot of wood to remove when the blank is 2 3/4" thick, but lots of wood for finger guards. I remember the wood originally being 3" thick, but I guess 35 years of drying took 1/4" of thickness away.
    I think it's done. Leave it just like that
    Obsession Evolution (on the way) | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery T3 | Stryker Solution 350

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    I think it's done. Leave it just like that
    That would bring new meaning to the term splinters.

Looking good on the progress. Thanks for the update.

Eric
    Nock down - Drag out!
    Obsession Phoenix, Sword Twilight Hunter, QAD HDX, GT5595
    Strykezone 350, XB30 compact, DCA 20" arrows
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Hawke 1.5x5x32 SR, BEE 22" w/Q nocks
    Show up on time, do your best, don't grumble about the outcome.

I would go through a whole forest of trees before I could get any thing to resamble a gun stock......

Quote Originally Posted by RickB4 View Post
    I would go through a whole forest of trees before I could get any thing to resamble a gun stock......
    X2. Ps, your dog looks drunk.
    Middleton 325/400SS - Hawke XB30 Compact SR - BE Executioners - Exodus Swept - Agingcrossbower Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Baker View Post
    Looks like difficult work. Lol.
    I can make a lot of things look difficult, Rick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12