Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my work cut out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by backnwhack View Post
    Hey, ole Jeff is finally getting started! Keep us up to date, you know I will be slobbering all over the screen. I enjoy messing with the wooden stocks as much as with the bows themselves.
    Clint, a spalted maple stock would be dynamite! A blank might be a little hard to find and a little pricey, but I think you need one! Here's a pic of a chunk of spalted maple:
    Attachment 1990016
    The Chinese ... are making a paint now that has the exact same look. (full of lead & arsenic though ... LOL)
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr RamCats, & Firenocks. Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Going away for a week then start by inletting the rail. Couldn't wait to try the sniper trigger so I put it in the frankenbow. Very light with slight creep if I try to finesse it too much but nice. The non sniper trigger in the ss breaks like glass.

"It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

Thumbs up A little progress

Was away last week so progress is slow. Tried to drill out most of the channel for the rail the way I saw Mike (Aging) did it in his build along thread on Excal's forum. It went OK, but then my Harbor Freight drill press died, so my new best friend is the 3/4" flat chisel, sharpened up the the limits of my ability and it's rather soft steel. Just started to remove some wood other than the channel. There is a lot of wood to remove when the blank is 2 3/4" thick, but lots of wood for finger guards. I remember the wood originally being 3" thick, but I guess 35 years of drying took 1/4" of thickness away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

It's fun to follow the progress. Keep the pics coming.
    DTM SS330/SS355/SL390

Good luck with your project, can't wait to see it when finished.
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Looks like difficult work. Lol.
    Middleton 325/400SS - Hawke XB30 Compact SR - BE Executioners - Exodus Swept - Agingcrossbower Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JOE PA View Post
    Was away last week so progress is slow. Tried to drill out most of the channel for the rail the way I saw Mike (Aging) did it in his build along thread on Excal's forum. It went OK, but then my Harbor Freight drill press died, so my new best friend is the 3/4" flat chisel, sharpened up the the limits of my ability and it's rather soft steel. Just started to remove some wood other than the channel. There is a lot of wood to remove when the blank is 2 3/4" thick, but lots of wood for finger guards. I remember the wood originally being 3" thick, but I guess 35 years of drying took 1/4" of thickness away.
    I think it's done. Leave it just like that
    Obsession Evolution | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Stabilizer | Stryker Solution LS 390

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    I think it's done. Leave it just like that
    That would bring new meaning to the term splinters.

Looking good on the progress. Thanks for the update.

Eric
    Nock down - Drag out!
    Obsession Phoenix, Sword Twilight Hunter, QAD HDX, GT5595
    Strykezone 350, XB30 compact, DCA 20" arrows
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Hawke 1.5x5x32 SR, BEE 22" w/Q nocks
    Show up on time, do your best, don't grumble about the outcome.

I would go through a whole forest of trees before I could get any thing to resamble a gun stock......

Quote Originally Posted by RickB4 View Post
    I would go through a whole forest of trees before I could get any thing to resamble a gun stock......
    X2. Ps, your dog looks drunk.
    Middleton 325/400SS - Hawke XB30 Compact SR - BE Executioners - Exodus Swept - Agingcrossbower Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Baker View Post
    Looks like difficult work. Lol.
    I can make a lot of things look difficult, Rick.

Losing some weight and shaping up a bit.

Got back from my week with the church youth on Saturday. Spent some time taking wood off the blocky slab the last two days. Obviously there is a ton of work that remains, but it is starting to look a little bit like a stock. In the pic of the left side, there is the outline of an attempt at a cheekpiece, but I've decided not to go that route. The buttplate for the adjustable pad is just too big, and the cheekpiece edge too close to the buttplate to make it look right. It will be a pretty plain stock, but functional. Now to finish the inletting with the trigger so I can work the comb height just right. The buttstock is still kinda bulbous, so a good bit can be trimmed there. An Excal style forend groove between the finger guards and the forestock is in the plans, plus rounding the forend to make it feel right.

Looking really good! Thanks for posting your progress.

Eric
    Nock down - Drag out!
    Obsession Phoenix, Sword Twilight Hunter, QAD HDX, GT5595
    Strykezone 350, XB30 compact, DCA 20" arrows
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Hawke 1.5x5x32 SR, BEE 22" w/Q nocks
    Show up on time, do your best, don't grumble about the outcome.

Progress! Taking shape nicely. Are you using a carver?
    DTM SS330/SS355/SL390

Very Cool !

Quote Originally Posted by backnwhack View Post
    Progress! Taking shape nicely. Are you using a carver?
    Mostly a flat chisel and the Stanley Surform file plus regular files and rasps. I did cave a bit today and used a belt sander, but mine is a cheap Skill, so it does not make a nice flat surface. I have a toothing "plane" (spokeshave) that I made for tillering self bow limbs. I may see how that works on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm taking my youngest son fishing. He goes back to college in a few weeks.

RH, What happened to your tiger?

Sweet! Gettin there!

Smile Shaping almost done

Doesn't look that much different than the last update, but there was a lot of work in between.

1. Shortened forend
    2. Cut down the mounting plate for the Morgan pad so I could slim the buttstock some
    3. Cut the forend grooves. First time I've used my barrel bedding tool in a while. Still works great.
    4. Finished the comb height. Throw the bow to my shoulder, and I'm looking right through the middle of the scope.
    5. Dished out the comb/nose area

I still have to work on the inside of the trigger guard area and the sides. Still have to do some tapering around the trigger to make it feel right and have no restrictions. It ain't fancy but it is functional and the forend should make it extra safe. Weight wise, it feels like it's about the same weight as my factory DTM stock. That wood is porous and has been drying a long, long time.

Progress this weekend! Keep us up to date. It's fun watching when you are doing all the work! Lol
    DTM SS330/SS355/SL390

Got some real nice straight grain on that one Joe. Looking good!

Doesn't look that much different than the last update, but there was a lot of work in between.

1. Shortened forend
    2. Cut down the mounting plate for the Morgan pad so I could slim the buttstock some
    3. Cut the forend grooves. First time I've used my barrel bedding tool in a while. Still works great.
    4. Finished the comb height. Throw the bow to my shoulder, and I'm looking right through the middle of the scope.

I still have to work on the inside of the trigger guard area and the sides. Still have to do some tapering around the trigger to make it feel right and have no restrictions. It ain't fancy but it is functional and the forend should make it extra safe. Weight wise, it feels like it's about the same weight as my factory DTM stock. That wood is porous and has been drying a long, long time.
    Wow, looking real good.
    Pope and Young Club Associate Member
    Massachusetts Bowhunters Association life Member
    Elite Z28 / SZ 350 / DTM 315SS / DTM-MATRIX 330SS Hybrid / Ready- Shot Shooting Stick

Quote Originally Posted by agingcrossbower View Post
    Got some real nice straight grain on that one Joe. Looking good!
    I lucked out when I bought the log, Mike. I wasted a lot of that walnut learning but I think it was $75 (in 1979) to buy and have the sawmill cut it up.

1. Shortened forend

Lookin' good, Jeff! Can't wait to see how she turns out...
    "Never judge a man... Till you walk a mile in his swamp." -----Swamp Donky

Thanks much, Gus. Cleaning up the lines and gettin ready to Acraglass Gel the SS rail into the wood soon. Looking forward to shooting with this stock.

Thumbs up Ready to sand

The stock is, IMO, ready to sand. A few of the little spots are grain raised with the files, or something that will smooth out with sanding. Just gonna taper the flat above the rope cocking groove to open up the safety lever a little, and glass bed. Was not 100% sure whether I was gonna put the Frankenbow or the SS in this, but after shortening the forend, it has to be the SS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast