a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Kestrel question

Kestrel question

Okay I'm new to Oneida bows. I recently bought a kestrel and I love it but I want to bottom it out weight wise it a 50 to 70 and it's pulling right at 60. I asked a guy at the bow shop and he said loosen the timing screw them tighten the limb bolts just like on a traditional compound then tighten the screw back up. Is this right???

Thanks

TRAP HUNT FISH
    18 bucks with a bow
    35 does with a bow
    1 Black Bear with a bow
    MATHEWS SWITCHBACK XT, BLACK WIDOW MA II, US ARMY INFANTRY

I'd call Oneida

Yes but you want to turn the limb bolts no more than two full turns for each one going back and forth to each bolt till you get it to the end. But you also want to be sure the bow is tillered meaning but measuring from the cam to the string to be sure you have the same distance from the top and bottom cams to the string pick a spot and measure once you have it cranked up. If the measurement is different then you can loosen one and see if that helps to get the same distance at the top and bottom that will help with the tuning. And you would want to have the distance the same. I am not up on the newer models but if you want to be sure a call to CP Oneida would not hurt. Also once you have the limbs bolts set tighten the timing set screw. Some don't know this and just start turning the limbs bolts and it puts stress on the timing system and could come apart and that would not be good.

LFM

Quote Originally Posted by traphuntfish View Post
    Okay I'm new to Oneida bows. I recently bought a kestrel and I love it but I want to bottom it out weight wise it a 50 to 70 and it's pulling right at 60. I asked a guy at the bow shop and he said loosen the timing screw them tighten the limb bolts just like on a traditional compound then tighten the screw back up. Is this right???

Thanks
    He is correct. If you are at 60 lbs now I would loosen the timing screw, do one turn top and one turn bottom, tighten screw and check the weight. You wont be too far off of 70. Probably around 66-67 lbs. If thats not enough, repeat. It will put you real close.

you can also turn it up to 2 turns without loosening the timing cable ive been told but as long as its in current time and tiller when you loosen the timing screw everything should stay in place
    everything is more fun in kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyshooter View Post
    you can also turn it up to 2 turns without loosening the timing cable ive been told but as long as its in current time and tiller when you loosen the timing screw everything should stay in place
    If you have ever done this most lose count and switching back and forth and you get interrupted and then have no idea which limb bolt you turn just makes it easier to loosen the timing set screw and if you loose count you can attempt to get it close and then as mention measure the string to the cam get the 2 measurements and adjust till they are the same... Been working on Oneidas for 20 years and I have never done it like this because other things take you away from turning and again more than 2 turns and the timing system cable can be compromised and that is when you hear about Oneida's Exploding because the cable lets loose...

LFM

I never loosen the timing screw unless it is out of time. For newbies I would recommend going by the manual. Loosen the screw. I never had a problem " loosing track" of where I was

Sure but how long have you been working on Oneida's? I bet for a while most have not so to be safe I would suggest loosening the Timing set screw until you have some more experience and sounds like the OP is new to Oneida's. I know some places have no idea the Local Bass Pro just started turning the limb bolts like it was a standard wheelie type bow when the owner saw the Tech just start cranking the limb bolts down and did it 3 turns on one bolt! This is why I am suggesting to loosen the timing set screw. The friend wanted to get added weight and did not have a bow scale to know where it was but he quickly stopped the Tech and ask for his bow back and left the store! So again even those that do work with Archery Equipment don't know this? So why take the chance if you are new to a Oneida? Best to be safe and not damage the timing cable then have it come apart since you seem to see some talk about Oneidas exploding... This could be a reason why some have see or heard they do... For those of us that have worked on Oneidas I can understand doing it as mentioned but again I have see bows that are out of tiller and so again just a good way to be sure it is set up right!

LFM

Isnt that what I said...Newbies use the Manual

Just trying to state the obvious because some miss interpreting things and so I am just trying to be sure some miss parts of reading what is suggested and then wonder what went wrong... Just want others to know this you already have this knowledge... If some haven't work on Oneida's they might not know this and most that get a used Oneida some don't come with the manual. All the LFM's have not come with one I did get one CPO back in 2003 when they still had one. But it was call Ultra and not Lite Force Magnum via Matt Pollington back then...

LFM

yup sounds real easy to work on. I thought the Oneida was a confusing bow-and shops wanted nothing to do with it. Then I got a single cam bow. Now that is easy to work on.

The biggest thing is if you are looking to change timing system you have to get it right and the best way is to follow the videos you can find online the good thing is you can go back and re watch them to be sure you have them right. There is also how to change power or yoke cables, rockers, string change, setting tiller, basic maintenance and lubing. it goes thru complete disassembly and reassembly and adjustment of things. etc. Being many shops don't know or work on them so again some do others don't. Once you have some knowledge the basics you just build on that as you go but again once they are set up for the most part it is the annual look it over for frayed cables and string loose screws and bolts and lube the moving parts. You can find these videos on you tube as well as on American Eagle's forum. If you are looking...

LFM

I find it hard to believe that most people would have a problem with doing it this way. I spoke with several people in the Oneida circle and all of them agree once the bow is super tuned, there is no need to undo the timing system if your staying within that 2 turn adjustment .

Quote Originally Posted by LFM View Post
    If you have ever done this most lose count and switching back and forth and you get interrupted and then have no idea which limb bolt you turn just makes it easier to loosen the timing set screw and if you loose count you can attempt to get it close and then as mention measure the string to the cam get the 2 measurements and adjust till they are the same... Been working on Oneidas for 20 years and I have never done it like this because other things take you away from turning and again more than 2 turns and the timing system cable can be compromised and that is when you hear about Oneida's Exploding because the cable lets loose...

LFM

i find it hard to believe that most people would have a problem with doing it this way. I spoke with several people in the oneida circle and all of them agree once the bow is super tuned, there is no need to undo the timing system if your staying within that 2 turn adjustment .
    +x2

I own 3 Oneida bows and I never loosen the timing screw.

I find it hard to believe that most people would have a problem with doing it this way. I spoke with several people in the Oneida circle and all of them agree once the bow is super tuned, there is no need to undo the timing system if your staying within that 2 turn adjustment .
    Okay but who can say you get a "Used Bow" it is tuned or "Super Tuned" I never take a bow has been tuned until I set an Oneida Up and tune it myself again some are saying things that most that are not Familiar with like a new Oneida Owner is going to know this when most never owned an Oneida so again some commented thinking you are talking to a newbie that has no "experience" that they will be able to do what experienced Oneida know again most are wheel bow past owners and they just start cranking on a limb bolt which again you just cannot do that and again making assumptions like this many have no idea and yet some think because you might own an Oneida you do your own work on them some do but again not all. And then all the stories you hear that they saw this Oneida Explode at a range or that a cable let loose maybe it is because someone did crank the limb bolt more than 2 times and you do stress the timing cable it can come apart sure not often but when it does other archers seem to remember that and give Oneida's the bad name but again some heard these stories and say it cannot be this or that or maybe it is because someone did turn a limb bolt 3 turns who knows so instead of being sorry why not know and loosen the timing set screw until you have worked on an Oneida as some have and know them but again you and other might be "EXPERIENCED" and others are not and if an Oneida Fails what will they say!!! I have seen the most experience "recommended" to always loosen the timing set screw if you have seen the older Oneida Tech Tape the guy that put it together and does the work on that tape suggests always to and his name is Al but again most here don't know him and so again I just follow what a guy that worked at Oneida Labs many yeas as well as work at CP Oneida when it was in New York I still have contact with this Person and he always warns best to be on the safe side and not take the chance. So again you do what you want but some one who has work on these Oneidas more than most here will ever work on them you take your chances and do what you want but when a newbie comes here and takes part of this and start cranking a limb bolt more than 2 times and his Oneida comes apart then maybe you might better understand sure this is a public forum and there is no liability issues but when some gets hurt maybe some that are so Experienced with Oneida's might get it I guess most here miss that point okay I would rather have an Oneida shooter be safe and loosen the timing set screw it makes little difference if the bow is super tuned or not so loosening makes little difference in the tune so again you decided it makes little difference what it take to loosen the screw 2 maybe 3 minutes tops!!! Tuned or not I guess so for you don't great others do it does nothing to a tuned Oneida!

So what is the problem to loosen or not to, what differences does it really make a difference in an Oneida Bow so again I do it the way I was told to and that is what I follow by a guy that has worked on them more years than most ever will... Again like most things in archery is a Personal Choice you do it your way and I will do it the way I was showed by Matt at CPO and the guy from New York does it in the Oneida Tech Tape and I will do so till I can no longer shoot any of my Oneida Lite Force Magnums or my 20 year Aero Force... I guess following the manufacturers instructions is not to be followed, the Bow Manufacturer recommends too and should know better that those that have never worked for Oneida Labs or CP Oneida.

Life is choices I guess some think their way is the only way something can be done but again there are many choices in life!

LFM

your correct that you can do whatever you want but the guy that told me and showed me also said that Matt at Oneida is the one that explained it to him many years ago as he did service for a few dealers in our local area and is a very qualified Oneida tech. he is also setting my black eagle up as soon as I get new cams and cables. I trust his advice and I do believe that loosening up the timing cable isn't a bad idea it just isn't necessary if you follow the steps setting up and checking . but to assume most people wouldn't understand is a bit of a stretch and insulting to say the least. (in my opinion)

This thread would scare any newbie away! Why in the world wouldn't someone take the extra 5 seconds to loosen the timing set screw?
    2011 Bear ASSAULT. 2012 Bear Anarchy. 1991 Oneida strike eagle conversion. 1992 Oneida Aero Force. 1992 Oneida Aero Force. 1993 Oneida tomcat. 1997 Oneida tomcat 3. 1999 Oneida tomcat 3. 2000 tomcat 3. 2000 aero force X80. 2008 Oneida black eagle II. I support the PEEP ELIMINATOR 110%, thanks Melvin!

according to Oneida directly it isn't necessary. but the major problem with this type of bow is the lack of dealers and the high cost of parts for a average piece of equipment .. that is what scares newbies off most