Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omni nock question

Well I will probably just use moon nocks. The J nocks sound like a pain.
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Crossbow - TBD

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-tom View Post
    That's what I figured. I placed J's on my 350 and my buddies 380. no way. I had Dorge send me some V nocks they are the correct size for the Strykers but, the current V nock isn't designed for xbow use. Would be nice if Dorge made it so.
    is it that they don't fit due to mechanics of the trigger box or they just don't snap on the string because the serving is to small ?
    FiFi
    What you mean there's more to life than archery? Isn't that what vacations are for?
    1994, 2004, 2006 IFAA World Field Champ

Quote Originally Posted by beervo2 View Post
    Hey D, how's your string riding on the rail of your 390 ?? Randy and I were talking about this issue on the phone, his is riding above the rail and on mine I have one side riding the rail while the other side is above the rail, it doesn't seem to affect accuracy so I guess maybe it's a non-issue.....

Mike
    Actually, there is a bit more down pressure on the rail then I care for but it drives Tacks so, I'm dealing with it. Also the other one I have and my uncles is exactly the same way. I've noticed that we had to tighten the bolt that fastens the barrel to the bow. If the limbs aren't level with the barrel I'm not gonna accept it. But we have found this bolt loose on several occasions.

D, pm sent...I don't want to hi-jack this Omni thread...

Mike
    Vent 150
    Solution LS 390
    Crossbow Warriors Pro Staff
    http://www.crossbowwarriors.com

Quote Originally Posted by FiFi View Post
    is it that they don't fit due to mechanics of the trigger box or they just don't snap on the string because the serving is to small ?
    The "J" 's don't snap-on the Bowtech factory servings because the servings diameter is to small or the nock is to large. Either way you look at it- it's not correct for proper use.
    Scorpyd Orion for O-ryan-Parker Pin Point 1-4x with "SNAP AND GO" Q NOCKS
    Scorpyd Velocity 165-Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 mrad
    Scorpyd RDT 165- HHA Dial w/ Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5x10x50 German #4 reticle
    Bowtech SZ350

Any idea what serving size is needed for J nocks?
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Crossbow - TBD

Clint, this from Firenock ...serving size 0.147" and 0.160"
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

FYI, the bowtech serving is 0.115-0.125". Not all crossbow company make their string with tight tolerance on serving size. if a crossbow has a lot of down pressure and the serving is not the correct size , it will hit the containment nock at the lower half which will cause rub on the bottom of the nock and or lift off the string, this also happen in moon nocks but just not as obvious. With Jim at Scorpyd, we have discovered that as long as the string can clip onto the string, it is OK to have the serving to be smaller on the nock and the bow will shot as constant as if there is no down pressure on the string, but if the serving is too big and there is down press, the nock will now actually lift from the rail and the nock is being deformed to start with. With that condition, when shot on some powerful bow, it can actually force the opening of the nock to be wider as the launch force is no longer at the middle of the nock, but at the lower half of the nock WHILE it is already being forced open wider than it should. This is the easiest test. With the bow string in the front, clip the containment nock on it, if the nock can move from left to right but not away from the string you are all good. If the nock after clip on the string do not move easily, the serving is too big for that specific nock. Some manufacturer are famous for inconsistent servings size, so check them before you use a specific nock size. i.e. if the serving on a specific bow is 0.165" and you use a J nock, you will deformed the nock and may even crack the shaft due to excessive down pressure on the lower part of the nock throat , instead of the middle.

Thus the correctly matched serving size will dictate if your bow will be able to be shot safely and accurately with the specific nock that is design to be shot with it!!!!
    Last edited by Firenock; July 12th, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

Anyone know the best way to remove a glued in nock from the shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    Anyone know the best way to remove a glued in nock from the shaft?
    If you have a LNL just remove it and slide a drill bit into the shaft. Swing the arrow like your throwing a knife. The nock will come loose. But be careful that you don't aim at anyone or anything that can be hurt. If you don't have a LNL then it depends on what's holding it in but, I remove glued in ones by inserting a 1/8 inch welding rod or any steel rod and drive it out with a hammer. Much easier if you can remove your insert though.

" I hate the fact that I forget what I forgot"

It's funny, no one seems to believe that this works. Inertia. I had omnis glued in with all kinds of superglues and never had a problem removing them. Glued in insert no problem. Lowes sells 1/8 inch steel rod for like 2$. Slide it down through the insert and engage the back of the omni nock. You'll feel it fall in to place. Sharp rap with a hammer and they're out. If you feel better heat the shaft in hot water to soften it. I never had to.

Once again common sense comes shining thru......thanks Shoo...

Quote Originally Posted by ShootaTac View Post
    It's funny, no one seems to believe that this works. Inertia. I had omnis glued in with all kinds of superglues and never had a problem removing them. Glued in insert no problem. Lowes sells 1/8 inch steel rod for like 2$. Slide it down through the insert and engage the back of the omni nock. You'll feel it fall in to place. Sharp rap with a hammer and they're out. If you feel better heat the shaft in hot water to soften it. I never had to.
    One other thing, if you have the Accustrikes and want to get the nock insert out. Put a drill bit into your drill half the size of the shaft. Drill through the nock and keep pulling as you do. Do not move the bit in and out just keep the bit moving. The friction will heat the insert from the inside out. The insert should start rotating on its own. As soon as you see this don't play with it. Grab it with a nock pliers and pull it out and cool the arrow ASAP. You won't ruin the carbon this way. I've done it many times. And yes I did ruin 1. That's how I learned to not mess around too long.

I got j nocks riding the rails real good

Dead center . Perfect fit not too tite not to loose..shoot like a dream!!!

Best of both worlds with firenock j . Can not be beat

oh there's my problem brad.....I need a different bow

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    oh there's my problem brad.....I need a different bow
    A 390, shadow or matrix 355? :-)
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123