Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Carts

Elk Carts

Hey can y'all post some pics of your cool elk carts. I want some ideas.

This sucker only lasted 1 elk pack, and the wheels all bent.
    I was thinking of putting the Cabela's Super Mag Dual Whel Kit, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to put a longer axle, and I'm not sure the same thing wouldnlt happen again.

Here's small pic of one with dual wheels

Here's a link to the Kit - click HERE - I don't think it comes with the longer axle though.

Here's a link to some reviews on the dual wheel - Click HERE

Any ideas or suggestions?
    "Outside of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I see no hope for mankind." Billy Graham
    END: A specified number of arrows (the usual number being six) shot by archers before the score is taken and the arrows retrieved. A round is broken up into ends.

It looks like it says the kit includes the longer axle, but then some of the reviews say the kit didn't fit, lugs wrong, and all it was good for was spare tires.
    "Outside of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I see no hope for mankind." Billy Graham
    END: A specified number of arrows (the usual number being six) shot by archers before the score is taken and the arrows retrieved. A round is broken up into ends.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalJon View Post
    Yeah, I tried a 1 wheeler before (with a brake). We packed our gear in 2 miles, and it was a pain holding the thing up.

2 wheels (or now 4 with the dual wheel mag kit) it the way to go in our part of the country. If you have t-4 people, you can just about get them anywhere. JMO.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the kit. It's on sale for $50. I have enough MW / PF friends at our paper mill where I work, that will help me if any serious modifications necessary.

One of my hunting buddies found some old honda 90 tires in a junk yard, and tried putting them on his cart.
    It turned out not so good, cause they managed to bend the axle on the first elk they packed out..

Ordered it. This review is what I expect to find, and will probably have to do.

I, too, bought the Mag Hauler last fall and Cabela's did not have the dual wheel kit. I used it as is to haul out two elk (a large cow and a branch antlered bull) and the hauler worked just fine in 2 inches of snow on an abandoned logging road that was closed to motor vehicles. See my review under the cart advertisement. I ordered the dual wheel kit and waited several months before it became available. Like the other review, I was disappointed when I opened the box and found two short axles. I am a retired machinist and I can tell you that if you tried to use the short axles that were sent with the wheels, you would decrease the capacity of the hauler not increase it. I went to a steel supply house, bought a 38 inch long piece of 5/8ths inch diameter cold roll steel and threaded both ends using the short axle threaded portion as a template for the length of the threads. The threads are SAE coarse 5/8 x 11. I literally made a new axle. Also had to drill a center hole for the locking pin and you may have to buy a few additional 5/8ths inch washers. The cost was under $10 so it will work out OK. I would imagine that a machine shop would probably charge you another $20 to thread the axle ends (I had my own dies) so for another $30 you will have a set of extra wheels and axle that will work the way the hauler was designed to work.
    If you are handy with tools and have a 5/8x11 die and handle, this will work out OK and, even though it required more work for these to become usable, I would recommend the dual wheel kit. If you are not willing to spend the extra time and money, forget this dual wheel kit or figure you will just use the wheels as spares if anything happens to the ones that came with the cart.

photo.jpg built from an aluminum quad ramp and kx 250 front wheel/ brake assy. the center of gravity probably needs to be lowered.
    '11 Z7Xtreme custom order...83.7lbs!
    Axion GLZ/ GLX 504gr FMJ@284FPS/ IBO arrow@326FPS
    &
    '12 MR6 custom order! 80LB limbs
    Axion GLM lite/GLZ 504gr FMJ@304FPS/ IBO arrow@ 354FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax_Diesel View Post
    photo.jpg built from an aluminum quad ramp and kx 250 front wheel/ brake assy. the center of gravity probably needs to be lowered.
    I can barely see it it's so well camoflaged!

Yep, center of gravity pretty important in being able to keep it balance I'm sure. The one I used before was a lot like yours only it had a reinforced basket with chicken wire which went about about 8" lower than the frame.
    We had initially plnned to kike in about 4 miles with all our camping gear. After about 2 miles, we had had enough of that, and said "we're camping here".

We were so tired, the next morning we were awakened by a bicyclist, chewing us out because we had set up our camp right in his favorite hunting spot, and that the elk usually crossed right there where we were camping.

This was in the Noregard area which is in Sled Springs unit. The whole Noregard area was all gated off, and I was sitting there wondering why we bothered to pack all our camp gear in, when we could have just brought some mountain bikes instead.

Yup Iron horses for me, with a motor or legs, its surprising how much stuff you can pack in with a normal pock and a set of rear panniers on a mt bike. Plenty for a weeks hunt. a little heavy bit I have tough ritchie megabite tires on the petal bike.
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo, Blackout, QAD HDX rest, MBG Accent 3 pin slider, Tight Spot, X rod. Axis 400's. 405.5gr
    2012 Hoyt Vector 32, Epic 340's 425.5gr w/Muzzy mx3, Copper John DN Mark3 5 pin, QAD HXD, X rod.

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Whaddaya think of this model?

’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

been using an all steel dolly with pnuematic tires. i can lash it to the rack on the quad and tie everything to it and hit the trail afoot. so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Whaddaya think of this model?
    Their website says they are rated for 400 Lb. But it doesn't look like it to me. Hard to say though. Looks like it's pretty easy to balance.

The first time you went over a sharp stick with 400 Lb, seems like you'd have a flat tire. Just a guess, I really wouldn't know.

Hehe, I did just that with the rear tire (10 ply) of my pickup last year - immediate blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by 4falls View Post
    been using an all steel dolly with pnuematic tires. i can lash it to the rack on the quad and tie everything to it and hit the trail afoot. so far so good.
    IN our part of the country, the roads are gated, or marked that you can't operate any motorized vehicles. No quads, at least not where I'm hunting.

What I meant was I can lash it to the quad to get to my hunting area then use the dolly to pack my gear the rest of the way to where Im hunting. I only have a two wheel drive truck so the quad saves me time and $ on these nasty AZ roads.

I've thought long and hard about these carts, a couple of thoughts;
    No cart is going to be a walk in the park with 300# of elk and gear on it

Mud really screws with them

The handle designs with the wheel out front really req a strap to go over your shoulders to transfer the weight off of your hands.

Single wheel with a high center of gravity is least desirable

I think some sort of double wheel with the wheels carrying the bulk of the weight is best

The best thread on these I've seen is at linkhttp://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...428097&forum=5
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

I would make sure the wheel assy is supported on both ends of the axle, like my Burley bike trailer.

This is more of an ATV game cart, but it looks pretty cool! Has anyone ever used one? http://atvbackpackercart.com/index.shtm
    atvbackpackerfoldupcart.jpg
    It folds up, goes completely flat, and will haul an elk- just roll the elk on while it is collapsed.

The areas I have hunted often have little room for a 4 wheel anything...the two inline bike style just looked more capable for small trails but I would not bother with a cart. Deboning and packing is the most viable option.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    The areas I have hunted often have little room for a 4 wheel anything...the two inline bike style just looked more capable for small trails but I would not bother with a cart. Deboning and packing is the most viable option.
    That's a good point. In eastern Or, there's a lot more open area. If I was in western OR, I'd probably want something more like what you posted. It really depends on the kind of terrain you're hunting.

I had one bull we packed out in the Malheur, which had a 1 mi hike on a well used narrow elk trail & steep hill side. That inline 2 wheel probably would have worked perfect for that situation. But we just used our packs. The steepness of the hill side was kind of a problem, there were places where one miss step, and down the hill you would have gone rolling. The fattest guy would have hit the bottom first.

Been there-done that...traveled some 45-60 degree slopes and all ferns, no dirt. It will wake you up!

We have had a standard sportsmans guide cart and it has packed a bunch of elk, a few deer and 2 very large bears whole, one through the timber and a swamp. We get lots of use of them around here.

The best I have seen are the Hawkeye built carts, Google them.

Balance is important, and most stock carts lack there.
    age has not made me wise....maybe tomorrow

Well I decided to get the Dually kit. I cut a 38" piece of 5/8" Cold Rolled and threaded the ends.
    Now I need to find something round and flat with a hole in the middle, so I can stomp out the bent wheels to make them more flat.

I found a vintage elk cart! Looks like it's alot easier to travel with than these modern carts. LOL

Ha ha. In the process of cutting a hole out of a piece of plywood (camping toilet seat), it dawned on me that was almost the perfect surface for stomping out those bends in the elk cart wheels.
    This is a lot better now. (Rated for 750# according to cabelas)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast