a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Army Goretex for rain gear?

Army Goretex for rain gear?

Has anyone used the army goretex parka and pants as a over layer in light rain? If so how effective was it? Just looking at some in woodland pattern on eBay for a good price.

2012 Obsession Lethal Force 65#- QAD HDX -HHA XL5519-NAP Apache stab

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Gen 27:3 KJV

ive got one in black. i believe its take says 'first defense' its durable stuff ive used it sheep hunting for a couple years. noisey as an outer layer
    be patient, slow down & study your quarry. amazing things can be learned sneaking up on animals outside of hunting season. take some time away from dropping bombs to get out there & learn how to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragainwagun View Post
    ive got one in black. i believe its take says 'first defense' its durable stuff ive used it sheep hunting for a couple years. noisey as an outer layer
    Like this but black?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271541057005?nav=SEARCH

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Gen 27:3 KJV

That's an Air Force jacket. Best not disrespect

Lol no disrespect I'm an army vet. We were spoiled when we visited AFBs

You can find the ACU pattern Gor Tex jackets online on surplus stores. I still have mine from when I was in the Army and I like the zip out liner to take out for when it's warmer
    Z7 and Martin recurve
    Proud to be on the Wounded Warrior hog hunt at Shiloh...I am blessed

I Hope ya'all don't mind if I chime in. I've been in the Army for 18 years now... and, the one thing that has made itself ABUNDANTLY clear is this...
    THE MILITARY BUYS FROM THE LOWEST BIDDER! Now... make no mistake... I'm not saying the stuff is GARBAGE. What I AM saying is... if you want good, high quality, perform-as-advertised gear... the military surplus or excess stuff may not live up to your expectations.
    The goretex... all the way from back in 95 when they started testing and fielding it, till now... 7 generations of gear later... is LOUD. Only repels moisture for SO long... and, is NOT warm. The only "warm" garments that are "goretex" are the ones with an interior liner... which is NOT made of goretex. I'd be more than willing to share any experiences in a PM, if you're interested to learn more. But... I'm saying this... I'll hunt in commercially designed and produced hunting gear LONG before I'll use my military gear.
    Carbofast Direct - Team R4V - USA Archery - Prime ProStaff
    '15 Obsession Target/'14 Mathews Hybrid Chill R-X/'13 Obsession Addiction/'12 Elite Pure/'13 Maitland Halo 31/'13 Maitland X-Factor/'13 Maitland Session Pro/'12 Maitland Zeus "How many bows is too many?"

I got out of the army in 2007 but my memory of the issued gore tex was that I would still get wet while wearing it and it was louder than anything I've ever worn.
    '13 DNA with Breathn threads
    Limbdriver Pro V
    MBG Vengeance 5 Pin
    10" B Stinger Sport Hunter Extreme
    Backup/3d - '10 Bow Madness XL

Quote Originally Posted by higdeezy45b View Post
    no not like that.
    be patient, slow down & study your quarry. amazing things can be learned sneaking up on animals outside of hunting season. take some time away from dropping bombs to get out there & learn how to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by higdeezy45b View Post
    Lol no disrespect I'm an army vet. We were spoiled when we visited AFBs
    Nah man I was just messing with you. I agree with what another poster said here though. The old military surplus stuff isn't that great (molle straps are the exception). If I were you I'd save the cash and invest in something that would hold up to years of hunting. Just my .02

Thanks. I remember getting a little bit wet but no through my goretex just because enlisted were not allowed to use the hood so rain would soak you head and roll down yiu r back lol. Never made since to me...

I've used it, and still do once in a while, always as a layer. Yes it's loud. No it's not insulated. But it's MUCH better than getting soaked.
    Shooting:
    • Elite Energy 32, 70#
    • Parker Ambusher Z-28, #70
    • Excalibur Vortex

My gortex parka I got from the good ol USMC. Has served me well in the service and serves me well today. However, like said, it is a little noisy. I use Frog togs now. I definitely suggest bib pants for rain gear. The togs act like a rain gutter down spout right to your butt
    Strother SX-1 60# 29.5"
    Gold tip velocity .340 + 30 grains
    Slick trick Standard, Magnum, Viper and Rage Hypodermics
    Get out and practice!