a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: I need help relaxing my grip

I need help relaxing my grip

I have been managing to get a looser grip, but I still keep closing one finger on the bow, when I shouldn't. So far, the advice I have gotten is to A) relax and B)concentrate on it. Not helpful, as this is a quick reaction and not an easy habit to break. I could use some ideas about some training exercises that could help modify my behavior. Thanks.

What kind of sling are you using?

http://dontchokearchery.com/
    This should do it . I got one , now i have no issues - loose as a goose with no grip .
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb.
    Vortex Optics -
    Tru-Fire releases

Try this.
    Tuck your three lower fingers under(along side) the grip so you are holding the bow with just your thumb and index fingers.
    Draw it then relax your fingers.

It's really very easy.

The bow will find the perfect spot in your hand..
    Upon release try NOT to grab the grip with your thumb and index fingers.
    Stand close to a target and concentrate on NOT grabbing it.
    100 times MIGHT break you of that habit.

When you first try this it will feel awkward but in a very short time, you will notice the difference and it'll feel natural.

Good luck
    `````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````` ````````````````
    Human life has become cheap in our "enlightened" society. Liberalism has taught these kids that there's no difference in killing a one-year-old in a stroller and killing a ten WEEK old baby in the womb! These killers are not human - they are demons spawned in the cesspool of Progressive ideology.

Thanks for the responses. To answer your questions; 1) I use a wrist sling. 2) I have used the "Dontchoke" aid & it has helped a lot- just not quite completely. Threetoe, I will try what you suggest.

Change to a finger sling. A loose sling will force you to open your fingers wide to keep the sling in place on your fingers until you get over the fear of dropping your bow.
    Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara-s View Post
    I have been managing to get a looser grip, but I still keep closing one finger on the bow, when I shouldn't. So far, the advice I have gotten is to A) relax and B)concentrate on it. Not helpful, as this is a quick reaction and not an easy habit to break. I could use some ideas about some training exercises that could help modify my behavior. Thanks.

Finger touching the bow...where? If it's the front of the riser, that's a good thing. Touching the front of the riser will give you a repeatable grip so long as you're touching the riser at the same place with the same pressure...having nothing touching the front can cause inconsistent pressure resulting in L/R misses. one thing you can do is to put a little sticky dot so you touch the same spot....remember, it's a touch, not a squeeze.

The proper form for your hand is how it appears hanging at your side...there is a natural curl/curve to the hand and fingers....don't fight this natural curl. If you're physically pulling your fingers in OR sticking them out there is a good chance you are putting tension on the thumb pad.

instead of thinking how loose your hand should be, try rethinking what is going on at the grip.

What you are trying to do is push the bow to the target from the centerline of the grip..So, if you could push with one finger, where would it be....this is where the center of your wrist will want to be pressing.

One thing you'll want to do is to build a shot sequence. This step by step breakdown may help get your grip set...for expmple, my wife had an issue with here thumb pressing into the riser so we had to revisit how she started to shoot.

the first thing was to identify hand placment.
    1. let the bow rest horizontally in your hand- hold your hand at about shoulder height forearm and bicept at 90*.
    2. let the bow set on the thumb pad/heel...you must have a nutral hand position- no tension...have the natural curl of the fingers---they'll lightly drape across the front of the riser.

the purose of this exercise is to show how the bow will be placed on your hand- there is no gripping, there is no holding...just bow placement on the hand.

now retrun the bow vertical and nock an arrow.

set your release

put tension on the string (pull a little)- now this is very important...try to replicate the feeling of that bow when it was vertical. What you're wanting to do is to take the physical weight of the bow, off your bow hand so you can get forward pressure with your hand, without the bow pressing down due to gravity.

Changing the shot sequence changed how the bow sat in her hand...one little change- putting enough tension on the string so she should properly set HER grip. Immediately her groups got better, her grip was more comfortable- and most important no more pain (old injur with thumb).
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

Great post Fury90flier! Totally learned a new way to look at my grip.
    Love my Martin Alien!
    huntfishrepeat.wordpress.com

Find a pole set in the ground, or even a door jam corner. Keep your shoulder down and put your arm out like your shooting, now lean over and support your weight and just see how relaxed you can be. It's basically like when your standing around and your legs get tired so you lean against a wall and relax. Same idea, just using your bow arm. I hope this makes sense what I'm saying. You get to experience relaxing with out the mind pressure of shooting or drawing. I did this a lot when going from high wrist to low.
    EVO 7 maxed@31in draw and 70lb. throwing a 510gr Easton Axis @286fps........
    Now all I need is a tag for M'bogo

As a newbie to the world of archery, I appreciate this description of how to asses my grip. Can't wait till my next trip out to the range so I can give this a try!