Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who all uses life lines in your stands. And do you buy or build

I don't use lifelines, but I'm always hooked to the tree with either my climbing harness tether to tree safety rope when using climbing stands or my climbing rope around the tree hooked to my climbing harness and climbing harness tether hooked to my tree safety rope when getting in and out of lock ons.

I make up a bunch of tree safety ropes with prussic knot and just leave them hooked to tree when leaving a loc ons in the tree.

I've used them. I know I'm safest with them. But find it mildly cumbersome to slide the knot up and down as I climb.
    You can definitely build them for much cheaper with a trip to hardware store. You can even find a lighter weight rope with plenty of strength.

I buy them and use them. Great product
    13' Elite Hunter 70lb 29"
    QAD HDX, HHA XL5519, Stokerized SS1/Hunter, G5 Mag-Loc,
    Easton Axis ST, G5 T3, Rage Xtreme, Muzzy & Lumenocks.

When I use a ladder stand or climbing sticks which isn't often, I make my own life-line. When I use my climber which is almost always, I tie off right when I begin climbing and then strap the Tree Spider Livewire on as soon as I reach my desired height. Hope I never need to test it.
    tree spider lifeline.jpg

I use them on every hang on stand. I don't understand those who say $40 is too much money per stand. Take a look at what it will cost if you have to be life flighted out of the woods, spend weeks or months in a hospital or need someone to wait on you hand and foot the rest of your life.
    Mathews ZXT
    29" draw 62# draw weight
    Axion SSG Lite Stabilizer
    QAD HDX Rest
    Montana Black Gold Flashpoint Sight

I won't climb in a stand without one. If I didn't have one then I wouldn't hang that stand. I think $40 is a small investment when it could cost you your life or being crippled the rest of your life. I would just do without a new pack of broadheads for the year and it would cover the $40 it cost. I've been lucky and never fell, but there is always the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Johnson View Post
    I won't climb in a stand without one. If I didn't have one then I wouldn't hang that stand. I think $40 is a small investment when it could cost you your life or being crippled the rest of your life. I would just do without a new pack of broadheads for the year and it would cover the $40 it cost. I've been lucky and never fell, but there is always the first time.
    Couldn't agree more. I have never fell either, don't have a "hard lesson" for why I do what I do. And the $40 per as a reason not to buy is just silly to me. I understand some folks are of the "it'll never happen to me" ilk. That's their choice - it hasn't happened to me either but I still use the things. I'd buy a "lesser" bow before I'd sacrifice my safety in the tree.

Will never leave the ground, EVER, without a lifeline.
    NOV 2-8 *** ILLINOIS - WestQuest 2014 *** Live Rut Hunt w/STILLxSTALKINGx
    NOV 12-15 *** OHIO *** Live Rut Hunt w/Fullstrutter

'14 Elite Energy 32 | '13 Elite Hunter | 62# | 28˝ | Copper John Micro Mark III | Code Red | 400 Easton Flatline DOAs | HogWired

I have had three Grizzly screw-in steps to break with me over the last 5 years or so. Luckily I had a good handhold on another step on two occasions and the third time I had just snapped, like 2-3 seconds, my safety rope to my harness 25 feet high. Scared the crap out of me and really didn't know what happen it happen so quick. I don't use screw in steps any longer!! Strap-on climbing sections are the way to go.
    Bowtech Solution 390/Hawke Compact
    BEE 20" Blazer Vanes, 100gr Slick Tricks

~America~ Born July 4th,1776- Died, Election Day 2008

Why on earth would anyone ever get into a tree without using both a life line while climbing and then another to secure yourself while in the tree. I'm not very fond of death or crippling disabilities from falling so I always use them.
    2007 Diamond Liberty (27.5/65) and 2012 PSE Dreamseason EVO (28/65)
    Gold Tip XT Hunters 5575 with DirtNap Broadheads
    TruBall Assassin Release
    I love animals ... they all taste great !

Put 2 HSS in service last year...they expedite getting set up once you're on the platform...simple and secure...
    High Country Archery
    '14 X-treme / '14 Axis / '09 Speed Pro / '08 Carbon Stilleto / '06 Carbon Sidewinder / '01 Carbon 4-Runner

Use them in all my hang on stands and ladder stands. I buy the HSS life lines.
    Mathews Z7 73/30
    Spot Hogg Real Deal w/Wrap
    Rip Cord Code Red, K-Tech 5" Twin/ KSB1
    Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 450s, Nockturnals, NAP Killzone TT
    Mathews T5 Quiver

I made all mine. I got my material from Rock-n-Rescue. I used static line, I think 13mm. Made my own Prusik knots out of 7mm. I bought it in a 300 foot spool. Nice people and quick shipping. If you can think of it for climbing they have it. IF you call them they will tell you exactly what you need. If I am going in to a pegged tree to hang the stand and take it with me when done I have them all set up to put a lineman's rope on at the ground. All of the fixed that stay up fro the season have lifelines. Anymore I am attached 100% of the time when I leave the ground.

http://www.rocknrescue.com

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/

always and both
    PSE FIELD STAFF
    2014 FULL THROTTLE 29'/#60, 2013 DNA 29"/#60, 2013 EVO 29"/#60, 2014 DNA SP 29"/#60, 2014 SOURCE, 2014 PREMONITION 29"/#60
    200 PSE XWEAVES "MAY THE xFORCE BE WITH YOU"

Quote Originally Posted by wacker stacker View Post
    You can't build a good one for what you can buy them for. [3 for 90 bucks] I have them on every hang on.
    Static Climbing rope is .50-.75 cents per foot, So a 20 foot section of rope is 10-15 bucks or 30-45 bucks for three.
    No man is truly married until he understands every word his wife is NOT saying.

Wouldn't climb without one
    Monster MR6, Easton axis, ripcord rest, true glo sight.
    Brackenbary Drifter 60 lb 28"
    Strother Infinity NAP rest, Extreme Raptor site

Awhile back I stated that any person that hunted without a harness was an irresponsible fool and I got flamed for it, but the flaming did not change my opinion. If you are a husband, wife, mother or Dad and have people depending on you to come home safe, you are an irresponsible fool if you do not take a couple basic safety precautions that will up your chances greatly to return home safe. Studies say 1 in 3 will fall that's pretty good odds that an accident can happen. HOOK UP! THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!
    Is it November yet?

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaPSE View Post
    Will never leave the ground, EVER, without a lifeline.
    Don't you have to leave the ground without one the first time you run it up the tree to attach it to the top lol. That puts a hole in your plan hahaha
    2013 PSE Stinger 3G @ 27" DL 60# DW
    Gold Tip Exp Hunter 400
    100gr G5 T3 Broadheads

Our group has had a few serious accidents over the years. We only use ladder stands now with the rail around them. No life lines though.
    " YOU GOTTA WANT IT!"

I use HSS life lines on all my ladder stands and hang-on's that I leave in the tree. I use the top style tree strap for my lone wolf Assault and sticks when hunting with that stand.

With the assault and sticks I use the linemen's belt while I am initially setting up. Then when I get it all setup I put a HSS lifeline on the tree and hook into that. Now if I need to get down for any reason I can stay connected coming down and going back up. This usually happens when I drop a glove, or my rattling antlers, or my arrow quiver, etc, etc.

Who all uses life lines in your stands. And do you buy or build

I get the 3 pack of HSS LIFE LINES for 88.00 shipped
    2014 HOYT CARBON SPYDER TURBO.....
    Hoyt QAD REST, AXCEL ARMOURTECH 5 pin sight.
    Easton FMJ INJEXION 400s
    Rage "HYPODERMIC" DEEP SIX 100gr.

I use Muddy's life lines. I know a guy who fell from 8 feet and is paralyzed from the waist down. Why take a chance.
    You can do more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow-Hunter_1989 View Post
    Don't you have to leave the ground without one the first time you run it up the tree to attach it to the top lol. That puts a hole in your plan hahaha
    Ummm.....no. When I set up my stand site I attach my life line at the base of the tree BEFORE I leave the ground. Then slide it up as I go higher. When I get to the desired height I then attach my lineman line. Set up the stand. Climb in and then climb higher than the srand...moving the rope up about 5 feet higher than the seat. Climb down and secure the end of the rope. I never leave the ground with out being one with the tree.
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).
    3rd BTN, 9th Marines---Semper Fi!!!
    2010 Elite Judge 70# @ 26"...415 grain arrow at 275 FPS for 69#'s of KE.
    67 1/4" Osage Self bow 51#'s @ 26"
    Paulie G. http://www.vortexoptics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bow-Hunter_1989 View Post
    NOPE, you use a linemans belt to get you up the tree the first time. Then tie off life line and while your still hooked to linemans belt you connect your saftey harness to lifeline and you are never 'NOT' connected.
    2014 HOYT CARBON SPYDER TURBO.....
    Hoyt QAD REST, AXCEL ARMOURTECH 5 pin sight.
    Easton FMJ INJEXION 400s
    Rage "HYPODERMIC" DEEP SIX 100gr.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sand8s View Post
    I get the 3 pack of HSS LIFE LINES for 88.00 shipped
    Where?
    '14 Elite E35
    '11 Elite Pulse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast