Archery Talk Forum banner

Who all uses life lines in your stands. And do you buy or build

3K views 66 replies 56 participants last post by  White Wizzard 
#1 ·
Been thinking this year that I'm going to use life lines going up nod down the tree. Was wondering how many of you use them and do you buy them or just make them yourself? And if you do make them what type of rope do you use and where do you get it at

#2 ·
I have never bought or made one but i was thinking about making one this year. They are kind of expensive in my book if you buy them. There was a thread a while back i looked at on here in the DIY section. Search for it and see if its still up it had a good way to build one pretty cheap.

#6 ·
2010 season a good buddy of mine was in a hang on with no harness, it wasn't strapped at the bottom only the top. The bottom of the stand kicked sideways and dumped him out 15 ft to the ground on his head, broken necks take a long time to recover from if and only if your lucky like he was and survive it. I only hunt ladder stands now and even when using them I have a homemade lifeline on all my stands. Buy some rope and learn to tie a prusic knot and that's all u need. It will cost you less than half what buying a lifeline costs.

There are too many things that can go wrong to risk climbing or sitting in a stand without a harness. We all love to hunt but we all have families to come home to

But the rope and make them yourself is my advise, it's easy and much cheaper.

#8 ·
If you have climbing sticks on your hang on. Just do what i do. As you go up just slip your harness teather over one of the pegs climb up a little ways slip it off and slip it onto the next one up. If a fall where to occur you would not fall and you already own the stuff to do this. Just a thought its something i have always done for extra safety but a lifeline would surley be safer and more effective.

#11 ·
Use one on all my stands !! and use the rope style tree strap with my climber. I honestly don't know a GOOD reason why someone would not use some kind of a fall prevention device?? "They're not comfortable. I haven't fallen yet. They get in the way" are not GOOD reasons, only excuses until you actually fall. I've got a wife, son and family that would sure be pissed if I didn't come back home because I was too lazy/stupid to not strap myself in..
We safely lower our weapons back down with a rope of sorts, why the crap wouldn't we lower ourselves down safely?

#64 ·
use one on all my stands !! And use the rope style tree strap with my climber. I honestly don't know a good reason why someone would not use some kind of a fall prevention device?? "they're not comfortable. I haven't fallen yet. They get in the way" are not good reasons, only excuses until you actually fall. I've got a wife, son and family that would sure be pissed if i didn't come back home because i was too lazy/stupid to not strap myself in..
We safely lower our weapons back down with a rope of sorts, why the crap wouldn't we lower ourselves down safely?

couldn't have said it better....

#14 ·
Cause not everyone has a spare 40$ to spend on a rope lol. It is a nice device and really helps in safety and you can never be too careful. But most people look at it like this. I have been climbing stands my whole life and have never fallen why would i need one of these things?. this is a bad way of thinking but sadly it is the way a majority of hunters look at it. I would recommend one to anybody that can afford one. If you can't afford it just be careful when climbing is all i gotta say haha.

#15 ·
I Always wear my harness but I normally just use my lineman's rope when going up or down and like I said I clip in before stepping onto the stand. With my hang on stands I put the tree belt up and just leave it there with the stand. I can see where a safety rope would work with a fixed stand but there are plenty of times when I go up, hunt, and then bring everything back out with me. In this case the life line wont work. A life line does make perfect sense in a semi permanent stand situation.

#18 ·
You dont get in my stands without using a life line.. Anyone who goes in my stands has a harness and life line ..... wife son me and friends who hunt with us...

#21 ·
I have them on the 2 stands I use the most...Probably should get one for the other stand as well...I usually take them off after the season so they aren't exposed to the weather year round...

#23 ·
I made my own...it's just as good if not better than hss one. I only use it when I have my stand set up in my yard for practice during the summer.. I hunt public so I use a lineman's belt when I hang sticks/stand and then attach to my homemade prussic style tree rope. I take my gear out every night when I'm done hunting so I don't need a lifeline. They are awesome for private permanent stands tho.

#26 ·
I don't use lifelines, but I'm always hooked to the tree with either my climbing harness tether to tree safety rope when using climbing stands or my climbing rope around the tree hooked to my climbing harness and climbing harness tether hooked to my tree safety rope when getting in and out of lock ons.

I make up a bunch of tree safety ropes with prussic knot and just leave them hooked to tree when leaving a loc ons in the tree.

#27 ·
I've used them. I know I'm safest with them. But find it mildly cumbersome to slide the knot up and down as I climb.
You can definitely build them for much cheaper with a trip to hardware store. You can even find a lighter weight rope with plenty of strength.

#29 ·
When I use a ladder stand or climbing sticks which isn't often, I make my own life-line. When I use my climber which is almost always, I tie off right when I begin climbing and then strap the Tree Spider Livewire on as soon as I reach my desired height. Hope I never need to test it.
Auto part Leash

#30 ·
I use them on every hang on stand. I don't understand those who say $40 is too much money per stand. Take a look at what it will cost if you have to be life flighted out of the woods, spend weeks or months in a hospital or need someone to wait on you hand and foot the rest of your life.

#31 ·
I won't climb in a stand without one. If I didn't have one then I wouldn't hang that stand. I think $40 is a small investment when it could cost you your life or being crippled the rest of your life. I would just do without a new pack of broadheads for the year and it would cover the $40 it cost. I've been lucky and never fell, but there is always the first time.

#32 ·
Couldn't agree more. I have never fell either, don't have a "hard lesson" for why I do what I do. And the $40 per as a reason not to buy is just silly to me. I understand some folks are of the "it'll never happen to me" ilk. That's their choice - it hasn't happened to me either but I still use the things. I'd buy a "lesser" bow before I'd sacrifice my safety in the tree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.