a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't use hawke scopes in the sun

Don't use hawke scopes in the sun

Don't buy if you plan to use in the sun. I ordered 2 of these from wyvern due to his recomendation. I was going to order the leupold crossbones scopes, but Dave talked me into the hawke scopes. He said that the Hawke scopes were as good if not better than the leupolds. When the scopes showed up I was impressed with the clarity. Sighting in was quite simple. And accuracy was great. However one of the first scopes burned up on the first day shooting, the lens looked like it was covered with blisters. To Daves credit he shipped me a replacement immediately. The new scope burned up the first day I shot it. I was making an effort to keep it out of the sun. Hawke says not to expose the scope to direct sunlight or it will cause "burning effect". I have leupold scopes that I have owned for 30 years that are the same as they were new. 30 years of sun, snow, rain, mud, brush,no worries. When I'm hunting the last thing I need to worry about is sunlight. I called Dave and he offered to send me another replacement saying that the 3rd times a charm, but he advised me to call hawke customer service and they told me not to expose the scope to sunlight, but do I want to worry about not using a scope in sunlight? No. I haven't shot my new crossbow in a month because every time I look through my new 200 dollar scope I want to puke. The second Hawke scope I purchased to this date is still perfect. So Maybe I received a couple of lemons. I currently own 6 leupold scopes with zero problems. Dave from Wyvern was very helpful and the 2 excalibur crossbows and the 2 dozen bee arrows he sold me were top notch, but the hawke scopes are not.

Wow I have never heard of this before. Hawke says not to use their scopes in sun light?
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Crossbow - TBD

I also have never heard of this happening.....Just bought 2 Hawke compacts this year....

Mike
    Vent 150
    Solution LS 390
    Crossbow Warriors Pro Staff
    http://www.crossbowwarriors.com

I had 2 hawke scopes I said had. The crossbones is IMO the best crossbow scope period. Like you I have leupolds 30 years old.
    And no need to seek out a shade tree.

I had one hawke that smelled so bad. No way you could get within a mile of a buck that didn't have milk on it's lips.
    I set it out on the porch for weeks. The smell never did go away.
    Just a down to earth Bowhunter.

If you look at the hawke website under :MAINTAINING YOUR SCOPe you will find the burning effect statement

2 scopes burned up but never noticed any smell

The smell was on one I ordered several years ago when I first took up the crossbow. It was a plastic smell that wouldn't go away. It stunk to the high heavens. Having trouble with the two before then that. I stopped drinking the hawk koolaid. Haven't fooled with then since. I'm easy to run off if things give me troubles. Leupold hadn't run me off in 30+ years.

Had nothing to do with the sun.

wow,,, I've never heard of this either ??? I have 3 of em ... hawkes that is ,. not the xb ones
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

carma.........comparing a Hawke scope to a leupold and saying they are same will always bite u in the arse.......
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

That's all I ever used since I started shooting a crossbow with no issues. Now mine stay in the man cave unless I'm hunting or shooting and my backyard is very shady. Good info to know.
    Micro 335
    Hawke XB30
    Matrix 380
    Hawke XB30 Pro

You think thats bad had a friend that had 2 Depth finders that cost close to 2000.00 each. Had trouble with them and they said not to keep then in direct sunlight!!!!!! That made alot of since being on a Bass Boat. My son keeps his Leupold binoculars on his dash keep telling him he will have trouble but never has. They get so hot you cant pick them up.
    We havent had trouble with the Hawkes yet and we got a bunch of them.

My guess is they let a bad batch go out, from what you're describing it sounds like the lens coating is coming off. I've never heard of not using a scope in direct sunlight either. Like others, I have some Leupolds close to 30 years old also. Never had any trouble like that. Tell the big buck you're getting ready to shoot to get out off the sun, my scope lens will blister up. lol
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Which model Hawke? I have a MAP and a SR that have Fish Eye (Halo), but they are known for that.

What is blistering up? The lenses? Finish? What?
    U.S.A.F. Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Read....

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/user/inst...w_3x32_MAP.pdf

As I read it Yes, you can take the scope out into direct sunlight. Just don't allow the sun to shine directly down into the scope itself for an extended length of time. As a kid I recall using a magnifying glass to start fires with. Same principal I would think. I would also think that could apply to any scope.

Same warning here ..

http://www.falconoptics.com/pdf/M10%20Manual.pdf

Same warning here ..starting to see a pattern here..

http://www.bushnell.com/getmedia/ebd...b.pdf?ext=.pdf

Thank you, Willie:-). Lenses magnify sunlight and if the crossbow/rifle is leaning upright against an object which allows the direct sunlight to enter the optical system, it can produce a tremendous amount of heat.....enough to melt lubricants in scopes' optical systems. It's not high vacuum anti reflective coatings that are melting. That stuff is as hard as a rock. Also, I contend a Lupy scope would do the same thing under exactly the same circumstances. Let's see what Hawke says about this.
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

Like Randy said, makes sense. Guess I learned something today, thanks guy's.

I'm not ... a big Hawke fan, but I've had four of them. They all have worked exactly as advertised. The Hawke XB30 in my opinion was optically as good as an entry level Leupold. Overall, my guess is the Leupold is probably better quality, but not optically. Under "normal" conditions I don't think you'd see it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an XB30 quality Hawke depending on buyer criteria.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

well..thats rite, we learn somethng new on AT once again.....................
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I never thought about this either and it makes sense. I almost always keep my equipment out of the sun when not hunting especially. I'll shoot in the sun but I put it out of the sun when retrieving arrows or taking a little break. But hunting occasionally I have little choice sometimes.
    Scorpyd Ventilator/ Scorpyd Velocity
    SPEED DOG>>-----> sniffen out the speed
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!
    Tenpoint Carbon Fusion/Excalibur Vortex/Vortex Optics-Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

I have two very old Burris signature series 8x32x40 scopes. I would hate to guess the hours they have baked in the sun hunting ground grizzlies. Or froze or got soaked and hard to tell how many rifles they have been on. Ones on my deer rifle now. Just as clear as day one.

Never one sec trouble either. If you hunting equment comes with a box of tissues. Well

Think about it....... out of the approximate 400,000 Hawke scopes that have been sold (rifle and crossbow scopes), there pops up a warning to not use your Hawke scope in the sun. I do know that Hawke has bitten into a few of the other brands' market, and for good reason.
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

JMO, but if Leupold would install an XB30 type reticle in the VX-R series set up for crossbows they would take a big bite and swallow other brands market share. I keep bugging them about it.

For the life of me I can't find a time of day. That the crossbones scope has failed me. Where the bad review that scope got early on came from. I can only guess.

Its not the sunlight it is to much of the dust gathering grease inside the scope itself, seen the same thing on many scopes, it looks like pebbling on the lense when you look through it

FiFi
    What you mean there's more to life than archery? Isn't that what vacations are for?
    1994, 2004, 2006 IFAA World Field Champ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast