Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best area in Midwest to raise family & Bow hunt whitetails?

Best area in Midwest to raise family & Bow hunt whitetails?

Ok, wife and I have been thinking about relocating to the Midwest. Looking for a area with good economy, Great whitetail hunting (of course), and plenty of snow. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Without question Iowa.
    "winners and losers are self determined but only the winners are willing to admit it"
    " you don't have to be on a southern plantation to be a slave, if you are dependent on government entitlements you just have a different slave owner"

how about ohio ?
    Iowa
    Wisconsin
    indiana
    MATHEWS ULTRA LIGHT

Have to be Iowa or Minnesota for me if I was going to move away from IN.

Western Wisconsin would be my pick. I live in the SE section of the state, but if I were to move, it would be near La Crosse. Beautiful area with an excellent state university.

Iowa
    Nebraska
    Kansas
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

Iowa

If I had to choose, it would be a state that I could hunt more than just whitetail and turkey. If you want to stay in midwest, I would go to NE. Nebraska borders Iowa, KS, and MO which all have great deer hunting, but Nebraska has beautiful Merriam turkey, antelope, and mule deer to add to the list.

South Dakota would be my choice
    HOYT SPYDER 30 BLACKOUT/QAD/SPOT HOGG/B-STINGER/EASTON FMJ's

NE Iowa without a doubt.
    G5 Quest Rogue Jet Black 60lb 27"dl
    Trophy Ridge React 5-pin Sight
    Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit Rest
    Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stabilizer
    Team 10

kansas or iowa
    Elite Pulse 28/70 LD, Boss Hogg, B Stinger, Kwikee, CT Whtetail XP's, Slick Tricks
    SR-71 28/70 LD, CBE Quad Light 3D, B Stinger, CT Cheetah's

Quote Originally Posted by Boonerbrad View Post
    Without question Iowa.
    Snow in Iowa? Depends on area, you guys get a dusting and piles of ice anywhere other than NE in my experience.

OP, I was thinking NE Iowa, SE MN, SW WI area. Awesome fishing, great deer hunting, snowmobiling, decent seasons.

Your sure you said snow right????????????
    262427_513062062091675_1316547733_n.jpg
    385972_252273858170498_1708746681_n.jpg
    1016948_664648553599691_1894532947_n.jpg
    1150426_664643746933505_1291335319_n.jpg
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Wade B View Post
    Snow in Iowa? Depends on area, you guys get a dusting and piles of ice anywhere other than NE in my experience.

OP, I was thinking NE Iowa, SE MN, SW WI area. Awesome fishing, great deer hunting, snowmobiling, decent seasons.
    Agree with SE MN or northern iowa.
    2013 PSE Stinger 3G Vaportrail
    PSE 3 pin Trophy Ridge WB
    29in draw 68#
    NAP Killzone

Best area in Midwest to raise family & Bow hunt whitetails?

Don't know what your finances are like but it's common to have to pay to hunt prime ground these days. It's easy when your just paying for yourself, but when you have to also pay for your children it can get quite expensive. I speak from experience. LOL My brother and I both have two sons and the places we lease can get a little crowded at times when we are all there. We lease some ground and also hunt public at times to take pressure of our private ground.
    I would choose a state that has a good amount of public land. That way when your children become "of age", you can get yourself a private piece to lease or own and spread out on some public areas at times. I would probably choose Wisconsin or Minnesota. The hunting'a great and there are some real "honey holes" on some of the vast public ground.
    Last edited by jamorris; July 12th, 2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: misspelling

Iowa is good, Nebraska would be as well. I'd take a hard look at North Dakota, their economy is booming, plenty of snow, and the hunting is great...deer, waterfowl, pheasants, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by JC-XT View Post
    Iowa is good, Nebraska would be as well. I'd take a hard look at North Dakota, their economy is booming, plenty of snow, and the hunting is great...deer, waterfowl, pheasants, and more.
    This is true. Hunting is awesome. Ditchbanging can be good, but trail riding can be "eh" over on the flatland.
    59259_103364093061476_8038136_n.jpg
    61364_103363983061487_220414_n.jpg
    62704_103364169728135_7870771_n.jpg
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

Any towns/cities that would be good to live close to? Noticed that no one mentioned Illinois, was wondering why not?

Small town USA. Rural communities where you can get to know people, where others care about your well being.

I live in a a small town, 1200 people and would not trade it for anything. You can have the city!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowcabinets View Post
    Any towns/cities that would be good to live close to? Noticed that no one mentioned Illinois, was wondering why not?
    Illinois: poor economy, high taxes, high cost of living, very little public hunting ground, very expensive land prices, very expensive hunting lease prices, very limited land access opportunities, entire state is controlled by the corrupt Chicago democrats, restrictive gun control, bad roads...now I've depressed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowcabinets View Post
    What are your professions? I would say don't necessarily live in Rochester, MN. But within an hour of there gives you a lot of great opportunities.

North of there on the WI side is Hudson, WI. Lots of opportunity to the East of there. La Crosse, WI has options.

Waterloo, IA is a decent city.

I would look at Colorado, Wyoming, & Montana where you can hunt whitetails, mulies, elk, bears, and speed goats.
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT 80 LBS. ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2014 OBSESSION PHOENIX 80 LBS.
    CARBOFAST X-TINCT 12" FRONT & 8" SIDE STABILIZERS

Quote Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
    I would look at Colorado, Wyoming, & Montana where you can hunt whitetails, mulies, elk, bears, and speed goats.
    As someone who lives here in MN and bounces between Extreme NE MN and Extreme SE MN I would agree with this in regards to hunting. We love MT and used to go out yearly. MN can't hold a candle to WY and MT in regards to hunting. We considered moving out that way but we are boating/water people and just can't move away from the lakes.

If you don't care about lakes/boating/fishing I would say and hunting/snowmobiling/skiing/hiking are your goals definitely consider MT and WY.

Quote Originally Posted by JC-XT View Post
    Illinois: poor economy, high taxes, high cost of living, very little public hunting ground, very expensive land prices, very expensive hunting lease prices, very limited land access opportunities, entire state is controlled by the corrupt Chicago democrats, restrictive gun control, bad roads...now I've depressed myself.
    yep

I have gone over this time and time again..........the best spot in my mind for deer, turkey, and waterfowl hunting oppurtunites would have to be some where on the outskirts of st Louis MO. MO alone has some awesome hunting/fishing. and you are within 6 hrs drive from most top whitetail destinations. 6 hr drive to Kansas, 4 hr drive to western ky, 6 hr drive to ohio. 4- 6 hr anywhere north to find mega bucks. and you are in the heart of the Mississippi flyway for ducks and the geese never fly south of st Louis anymore.....not to mention the trout rivers in south MO........that's my pick

I like Iowa but it is all I know. If my family was not in Eastern, Ia, I would probably move to Western, Ia and be 4-5 hours closer to the West where tags getting over the counter are the easiest compared to Iowa. A lot of good areas in Iowa though. I am in Iowa City area and I always hear it is one of the fastest growing areas in US. Seems like new houses being put up every day everywhere. Des moines to Ames is good too with some amazing hunting.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast